Clemson? USC? or CofC?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Clemson? USC? or CofC?
By Bluecrush222 (Bluecrush222) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 09:04 am: Edit

I was wondering how these schools were:
Clemson:
University of South Carolina:
College of Charleston:

Are any of them really big party schools? (I really didn't want that) And are they GOOD schools?? Thanks a bunch!

By Baltodad (Baltodad) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 10:02 am: Edit

I've got a niece at C of C. She really likes the academics, the friendliness of the student body, and of course the city. She's not a partier.

My son will start at Clemson in a couple weeks. While there's certainly a lot of social activity attached to football games, he'll be studying engineering (like many others at Clemson) and won't be much into partying. It's definitely a good school, and its reputation is moving upward.

By Bluecrush222 (Bluecrush222) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 10:08 am: Edit

I live in SC, and these are my 3 instate choices, because I would like to go to Medical School for anastesiology. I actually live very close to CofC and its such a quaint city, starbucks across the street, I love Downtown. I live on the outskirts of the downtown area, around 20minutes or so away! I love it down there, just checking to see if it was a major party school. Thanks!!

By Bluecrush222 (Bluecrush222) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 09:44 am: Edit

Anyone????

By Bluecrush222 (Bluecrush222) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 10:08 am: Edit

?

By Thesbohemian (Thesbohemian) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 10:23 am: Edit

You can party as much as you like at any of the three, but you don't have to. I'd stay away from USC unless you get into the Honors College. You'll find mediocre academics with grad students teaching most of your freshman level courses along with a HUGE money sucking bureaucracy, otherwise. I have a cousin who majored in Business there and he says he felt like a number from day one through graduation. He never even got to know any of his supposedly very aloof professors. I have CofC as one of my safeties. It's supposed to be a nice place to go to school and they at least make an effort to give the appearance of caring whether you live or die. The academics aren't as good as Wofford, Furman, or USC Honors, but they're decent.

By Bluecrush222 (Bluecrush222) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 10:25 am: Edit

And Clemson?? Thanks for all your help though!!!!!

By Thesbohemian (Thesbohemian) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 10:34 am: Edit

I don't know as much about Clemson except that it supposedly has good academics in the sciences. It does have a beer drinkin', snuff dippin', "good ol' boy's" cow college vibe about it. The people I know who've gone there seem to fit into that mold pretty well. I'm sure there are plenty of other types, though.

By Bluecrush222 (Bluecrush222) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 04:16 pm: Edit

???

By Doagie (Doagie) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 05:03 am: Edit

Clemson is a nationally ranked party school.

By Sillystring7 (Sillystring7) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 01:45 pm: Edit

I know a bit about these schools -- I attended the University of South Carolina back in the dark ages. USC is in the state capitol, Columbia, and the atmosphere and student body are much more urban than Clemson's. Clemson is very respected in engineering, but there is a definite "cow college" vibe. It's located in a small town and there isn't much to do (besides drink, which everyone I know who went to Clemson did a lot of).

USC is near the Five Points area, which is known for having a lot of restaurants and clubs -- Hootie and the Blowfish got their start there, for instance. (Several of the band's members attended USC.)

As for the educational quality of USC -- the business school is respected, and the International Business program is ranked first in the nation. However, at both Clemson and Carolina you can expect large class sizes, particularly in intro classes. I majored in Journalism, and received a lot of personal attention in upper-level classes. USC's Honors Program is excellent, and the facilities (including the dorms) have been upgraded significantly in recent years. I walked through the campus a couple of years ago and was shocked to see the many improvements -- it was truly beautiful.

I don't know much about the College of Charleston, but I can tell you that its reputation has improved over the last decade or so. It used to be known as "the school you go to if you can't get into Clemson or Carolina." However, I believe that is changing. Also, Charleston is truly one of the most beautiful and charming cities I've ever seen. It would be a great place to spend four years.

By Spiffygirl818 (Spiffygirl818) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 04:43 pm: Edit

Yes, I live in SC, sorry new user name, and love the city! Thanks so much!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page