Help me narrow down!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Help me narrow down!
By Smeds (Smeds) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 02:23 am: Edit

Ok, I really need some help narrowing down the list of colleges I want to apply to. Please help me! You can check out my stats here. These are the colleges I have so far:

REACH
Georgetown
Yale
Brown
Amherst
Columbia
Dartmouth
Duke
Johns Hopkins

MATCH (maybe match/reach)
Carleton
Washington U.
Rice
Cornell
U. of Virginia

SAFETY
George Washington U.
U. of Illinios
U. of Michigan
Kenyon
New York U.

So obviously that's way too many colleges. I'm very interested in political science and international relations if that helps.

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 02:36 am: Edit

First thing you need to do is decide whether you want a LAC or a research university. They are complete opposites.

I will start with Research universities. Of course, I am only drawing from the list above.

For International Relations, in order of excellence:
Princeton
Johns Hopkins
Georgetown
George Washington

(in case you did not notice them, check out Wisconsin-Madison. Great International Relations and Political Science programs and a virtual lock).

For Political Science, in order of excellence:
Michigan-Ann Arbor
Duke
Chicago (I cannot believe its not on your list)
Columbia
Cornell
Illinois-Urbana Champaign

LACs:
Dartmouth
Amherst
Carleton
Kenyon

By Smeds (Smeds) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 02:42 am: Edit

Thanks so much Alexandre. Chicago's not on my list because I live in Chicago and want to go somewhere futher from home. I'm just curious, why doesn't Yale make your list for political science?

By Blaineko (Blaineko) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 11:41 am: Edit

Hey there

You should check out Grinnell. Awesome Political Science program. Middlebury and Macalester for IR.

Just thought I'd throw that at you. :)

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 11:51 am: Edit

I forgot Yale. Yale would be my first or second choice if I were to major in Political Science. Michigan is better at Political Science, and the town of Ann Arbor is more pleasant than the town of New Haven, but obviously, Yale is a more prestigious university. Yale is not as good in International Relations.

And I agree with Blaineko, Grinnell is AWESOME, not just in Poli Sci, but as a college in general. I also love Middlebury. What a great school.

You have a great list going there.

By Scubasteve (Scubasteve) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 12:01 pm: Edit

You are missing one key school... Tufts has arugably the best International Relations program in the country

...what is your gpa? unless it is extremely high, a lot of the school on your list are reaches just because they are all so competitive and you don't have a strong hook

By Smeds (Smeds) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 11:37 pm: Edit

Would Tufts be a reach or a match? My gpa is 4.5W and 3.8UW.

By Smeds (Smeds) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 08:45 pm: Edit

bump

By Liek0806 (Liek0806) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 08:49 pm: Edit

I think you need a better choice of safeties, your safeties right now aren't guaranteed shoe in's, many people with your stats get rejected from places like NYU and U Of Michigan(especially since your outa state)

By Liek0806 (Liek0806) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 08:58 pm: Edit

wash u should be a reach, but even so i say get rid of it, no one seems to be praising it,

By Familyguy24 (Familyguy24) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 08:59 pm: Edit

Your safeties are more like matches.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page