Matches/Safeties Needed for Stanford Applicant...help!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Matches/Safeties Needed for Stanford Applicant...help!
By Firebird12637 (Firebird12637) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 01:02 am: Edit

http://www.prstats.com/2009/display.php?user=asloenxg

as you can see, the tentative list is full of reaches...hence, i need some help determining what matches and safeties are good for me...

although im not quite decided yet, but I'm looking to major in something science-related that is math-intensive (something like engineering, physics, computer science, etc; but not so much in the biology area, for example)

people i've been talking to recommend Univ. of Chicago and Northwestern...would those be good schools to apply to for my interests??

thanks in advance for your help.

By Reidmc (Reidmc) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 01:20 am: Edit

Northwestern and University of Chicago are great schools, but maybe not as good for your interests as UC-Berkeley, Rice or Carnegie Mellon. Also, your stats allow you to use a multi-reach/multi-match strategy (5/5 or 6/6) rather than a traditional reach/match/safety strategy.

By Lauraismyname (Lauraismyname) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 01:21 am: Edit

A math-intensive major . . .I would never have guessed by looking at your stats- j/k I just spent 5 weeks at Northwestern, but for digital media arts, not for math. I know they have a cool integrated sciences program where you learn a bunch of different sciences and relate them through math or something. I think they're also pretty good for engineering and the like. And I know U of Illinois at Urbana Champaign has good engineering, along with U of Wisconsin at Madison and U of Michigan Ann Arbor. In state- I'd say U of Missouri Rolla is the best for science/math stuff, although with a 35 ACT, you might want to stick with your reaches. (I live in the state of MO, and I'm looking into computer/electronic media related fields) I hope I helped you find some non-reaches. Although if you apply to all of those big name schools, I would think you'd get into at least several of them.

By Firebird12637 (Firebird12637) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 01:35 am: Edit

cool, someone else from Missouri...

By Jcm525 (Jcm525) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 01:05 pm: Edit

I'm from MO as well: Close to same stats (yours are a bit better) and I'm looking at engineering schools, applying to Stanford early as well. Some ideas for safeties, though these are primarily engineering:
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
University of Michigan Ann Arbor
Purdue
UIUC
Georgia Tech
By the way, rich public suburban competitive school in MO? If it's STL, I'd say Ladue or Clayton? Ladue is my bet, with Science Olympiad going to nationals.

By Stanfordman99 (Stanfordman99) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 01:52 pm: Edit

Firebird, you and I have nearly identical stats. I am also an Asian-American male, have the same SAT score, class rank, etc. My extracirriculars were subtantially different than yours because I concentrated more on varsity sports and leadership things, but that would make very little difference.

Anyway, for people with your stats I would apply to all the reaches (which aren't that many for you). Stanford, Harvard, Yale, Princeton, MIT, Caltech, and Dartmouth would be the only schools I'd say are your reaches. Brown, Cornell, Columbia, Duke, University of Chicago, and UPenn are matches. Berkeley, WUSTL, and everything else are safeties.

My senior year I applied to all the reaches and my only safety was UC Berkeley. I got into Stanford (where I will be matriculating), Harvard (early action), Yale, MIT, Caltech, Dartmouth, Duke (AB scholarship), and the other ivies. My essays and recommendations were REALLY kick-ass stuff though, so be sure to put a lot of time and effort into the application. Good luck!

By Firebird12637 (Firebird12637) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 01:32 am: Edit

thanks for all the comments!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page