Top Pre-Med Preparation

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Top Pre-Med Preparation
By Sparkle1026 (Sparkle1026) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 11:35 pm: Edit

I am interested in majoring in Biology and Pre-Med. Since Med School is incredibly difficult to get into, I hope to either study as an undergrad student at a school that will prepare me really well for med school or go into a combined degree program. I'm not exactly ivy league material (will apply to few...those are reaches for me). Some undergrad ideas I have are UC Berkeley, WUSTL, Northwestern, U Chicago... What are top pre-med programs?

By Kk19131 (Kk19131) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 11:48 pm: Edit

"I'm not exactly ivy league material (will apply to few...those are reaches for me). Some undergrad ideas I have are UC Berkeley, WUSTL, Northwestern, U Chicago..."

- If you can't get into the Ivy League, then you should not apply to these schools.

By Sparkle1026 (Sparkle1026) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 12:16 am: Edit

well, that's just my opinion. and why do u say that? The Ivy League is a whole different story, from what I've heard, isn't it? here's a very brief profile, maybe then i can get better suggestions. i'm from illinois.

Test scores
ACT 34 composite (35m, 35e, 32r, 34s)
SAT 1410 (730m, 680v) this is one lacking area i will retake in the fall
still to take SAT IIs

Grades
-have taken all honors courses, since freshman year with mostly A's, a couple B's
unweighted 3.8/4 approx
weighted 5.5/5 approx
class rank 8/346 (top 3%) of good public school

ECs (brief)
-orchestra all 4 years: all-district awards, all-state award...
-math team 3 years: regional and state awards
-jazz band pianist
-natural helpers

volunteer
-hospital this summer 9 hours/week
-nursing home 2 years playing violin and piano
-local orchestra

other
-summer food job
-played gigs in violin and piano making money
-played piano for 11 years, violin for about 8
with solo piano awards
-Spanish Alternate Travel Award competing with people across country
-Math Award

By Immortal (Immortal) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 12:55 am: Edit

There is no difference between schools in the Ivy League and the rest of the top-20, since the Ivy Leauge is a purely athletic organization. As for selectivity, schools like MIT and CalTech are harder to get into than any in the Ivy League.

Consider Johns Hopkins; it has, arguably, the best premed program in the nation, as well as a top-10 bio department.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page