My life! ahh! ive decided!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: My life! ahh! ive decided!
By Ahwosg (Ahwosg) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 10:01 pm: Edit

alrighty. ive picked 7 schools, though i am unsure about 1 of them.

ill have between a 91.8 and a 92 when i apply (RD) to these schools. 1460 sat, 750/770/800 sat IIs. not a LOT of ECs but thorough dedication to a fair amount. my two recs are coming from two teachers who love me. my essays won't be sent in unless theyre perfect which may drive me crazy. i took 2 AP classes jr year, am taking 1 sr year, took 3 ap tests jr year, will take a few sr year (i know that doesnt count for admission). challenging courses though, and theyre not all APs cause theyre in areas with no APs (japanese, italian, etc. not interested in science.)

i'm going to be majoring in international relations and possibly east asian studies. and i'd like to study two languages throughout: japanese and one of italian/french/arabic/modern greek if it's offered.

my main requirements are strong IR and japanese programs.

i get 7 schools:
Brown - crazy reach
NYU - match
Middlebury - Bit of a reach
Johns Hopkins - Medium reach
GWU - safety
Tufts - reach

and the other school i was considering was vassar. but i'm not sure.

what i want from YOU wonderful people is a 7th schools. a SAFETY school. something that does not reject 91 averages. and a bit higher than the normal safetys for my avg; kids from my school get into colleges with lower stats than have been posted here.

have fun.

By Reidmc (Reidmc) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 10:11 pm: Edit

#7 (Safety) - Dickinson College

By Blaineko (Blaineko) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 10:27 pm: Edit

Grinnell and/or Earlham and/or Macalester.

By Bettina (Bettina) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 11:28 pm: Edit

You might look at University of Puget Sound's strong Asia studies and Pacific Rim economics cirriculum. They also have funding for an interdisciplinary business program with a liberal arts slant. Every 3 yeurs a group of 35 does an in depth travel/study program through Japan, Thailand, India, Nepal and Korea for 9 months.

I'm hearing of some people who are very happy going there and they give merit $ too.

By Vulcano (Vulcano) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 12:50 am: Edit

Tulane University. It would probably give you some VERY decent merit aid too, and they have great financial aid, will meet most of your need if not all of it.

By Ahwosg (Ahwosg) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 01:02 am: Edit

i love you all thank you.

By Stuyvie2 (Stuyvie2) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 01:58 pm: Edit

Hmm...7-college limit, kids getting in with lower stats...you wouldn't happen to go to Stuyvesant, would you? I haven't heard of any other school restricting the number of college apps per student. That "7 colleges only" rule bothers the heck out of me; I've only managed to narrow 'em down to 10 so far.

By Ahwosg (Ahwosg) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 06:58 pm: Edit

yea, i go to stuy. the limit makes me hate them. it's fine for kids who are applying to all ivies cause those are all awesome schools. but really, once you're at a 90 avg theres SO MANY schools that are all the same.

and it doesn't make sense to restrict us even though we still have to pay. ick.

By Mini (Mini) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 07:18 pm: Edit

I went to stuy (perhaps before your parents were born.) If you are really serious about Japanese, look at Earlham. They are so famous for their Japanese relations that (and I'm not joking) if you buy a map of the U.S. in Japan, you will find Richmond, Indiana on it. The tutor to the emperor was a Quaker from Earlham, and they have exchange programs going back 75 years.

And a very large international contingent, include many from Arab countries, including long term connections with Palestine. Frankly, while it may be easier to get in, I think you'd get an education there that is easily the match of any of the other schools on your list.

By Miscgrl (Miscgrl) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 11:24 pm: Edit

o man this is too funny....stuyvie2 you post first b/c its way to random if i post. LOL.

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 11:32 pm: Edit

Based on the little bit you shared about yourself, I would not call Brown a "crazy reach". It is a reach school for anyone but I believe you are an appropriate candidate for Brown and thus, I would refer to it as a "reach", but not in a crazy far off way! Good luck to you!

Susan

By Miscgrl (Miscgrl) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 11:33 pm: Edit

OK fine nevermind, I'll explain. Not that I want this to turn into some big Stuy lovefest or anything.

I was on the phone with my good friend stuyvie2 and we were talking about some of the disadvantages of going to stuy and applying to college when she mentioned this thread.

I was really surprised to find out Mini went to Stuy b/c (I don't know if you remember) but Mini gave a great reply to a post of mine a few months back on wanting to read PPE at Oxford university (I remember he was explaining how he went from Williams to Oxford.)

Then I looked to check who the original poster was....and Christina we know each other! It's Brittany from Ms. Chan's english class.....lol

And stuyvie2 (Ritu) knows you too, apparently from video production.

Way too funny.

Haha lets all agree not to tell anyone about this. Oy vey, college message boards during summer break.....

By Stuyvie2 (Stuyvie2) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 11:40 pm: Edit

haha, ok.

Christina, what's up? I was in your video production group - guess who? (Hint: huge headphones)

Aaand I also know miscgrl, who claims she knows you, too...which means that three Stuy kids on one thread ALL know each other. With 800 kids per grade, the chances of that are...well...I never was too good at math.

Yeah, I remember you were crazy about Brown; Middlebury has an awesome language department from what I hear, so that looks like a good match. I hope you've checked out the College Acceptance Statistics at Stuy's website. Really helpful.

My average isn't too far from yours, so I know exactly what you mean by "theres SO MANY schools that are all the same".

Mini - wow: from Stuy to Williams to Oxford (I think)?

By Ahwosg (Ahwosg) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 11:46 pm: Edit

haha! this is our secret!

it's not my fault the college office sucks and the only other college in my family is queens college, 20 years ago. :-p

By Ahwosg (Ahwosg) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 11:47 pm: Edit

how did you know it was me?!

i feel like ive been outed. ;)

By Miscgrl (Miscgrl) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 11:54 pm: Edit

LOL sorry christina.

Your name's in your profile. hehe

I have Queens College legacy too! It's definitely helping MY college admissions chances....lol

It was just SO funny - Ritu and I could NOT get over it.

Man this is seriously our secret. Tho I know there are prolly tons of other stuy students lurking on this board.

And yeah the college office really does suck, tho also there's just too many of us and too much think about and focus on.

College. **sigh**

By Miscgrl (Miscgrl) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 12:03 am: Edit

LOL sorry christina.

Your name's in your profile. hehe

I have Queens College legacy too! It's definitely helping MY college admissions chances....lol

It was just SO funny - Ritu and I could NOT get over it.

Man this is seriously our secret. Tho I know there are prolly tons of other stuy students lurking on this board.

And yeah the college office really does suck, tho also there's just too many of us and too much think about and focus on.

College. **sigh**

By Miscgrl (Miscgrl) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 12:04 am: Edit

oops sry bout the double post.

haha anyone else feeling the sudden loss of anonymity? lol

By Ahwosg (Ahwosg) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 12:12 am: Edit

yes! give me back my cloak!

By Mini (Mini) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 12:13 am: Edit

Yup. Stuy to Williams to Oxford to U.Chicago. Guess what? The students at Stuy were by far the most competitive. Of course, that was back before Charlemagne.

By Miscgrl (Miscgrl) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 09:45 am: Edit

Wow Mini thats an amazing stretch. I'd love to do that.

So nice to hear Stuy was the most competitive out of all those colleges - I hope its still true - just finished my junior year and I don't think I could've survived under even the slightest bit more pressure and competition...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page