Chemical Engineering Colleges for Military Res.

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Chemical Engineering Colleges for Military Res.
By Samadamz (Samadamz) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 07:21 pm: Edit

I would appreciate any advice on colleges in the south with a strong chem-e department. I will be getting out of the military in 6 months and have taken 21 hours at night school (4.0 GPA). I'm 22, scored a 27 on the ACT, and never took the SAT. I don't remember exactly but I had around a 3.8 GPA in high school. I'm not really sure if I'll be viewed as a transfer student or if I'll be a strong candidate due to my average ACT score. I've been looking at Florida State, University of Florida, Auburn, University of Texas, and Texas Tech, though I'm not limiting myself to the south necessarily. I will be transferring in to the Reserves so I'll be eligible for in-state tuition anywhere and will be receiving 1135/month from my GI-Bill. Of the schools listed, which do you think has the best Chem-e department, and what others would you recommend based on my qualifications and limitations?

By Samadamz (Samadamz) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 09:00 pm: Edit

I think I'm removing Texas Tech from the list, but I still have no idea other than that.

By Massdad (Massdad) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 09:53 pm: Edit

All the schools you mention have good departments. Keep in mind that "good" means different things to different people. You might want to discuss with the departments at schools you like how effective job placement has been the past few years.

You might also want to consider Georgia Tech or any of the Big 10 Universities. Most of them have very good engineering programs, and the surrounding communities not all that expensive.

The schools should view you as a nontraditional student. Think somewhere in between new student and transfer student. Folks like you are generally pretty attractive to admissions, as they know you want to be there and will do the work. You can't say the same about the typical 18 year old at a state U.

Frankly, I'd email, or call if you can, the admissions office at some schools of interest, and get a dialog going. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

BTW, I would not worry about finding "the best". Focus on "good enough" and then think of where you'll fit in.

It't good to see another vet post. I went through ROTC in the Viet Nam era, narrowly missed going there, and used GI bill for grad school after acitive duty (US Army artillery in Germany). Watch out for the transition back to the civilian world. It may be more stressful than you imagine. Very few people you run into will have any understanding of the world you just left. Reserves will be a good place for folks to relate to. BTW, what service etc?

Good luck.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page