Returning adult student

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Returning adult student
By Lordmandean (Lordmandean) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 08:04 am: Edit

Hi! Does anyone know any good universities that take in returning adult student? I know Northwestern does it but I would be grateful if anyone can give names of other university. Thanks.

By Jenniferpa (Jenniferpa) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 10:23 am: Edit

I think you need to be a little more specific. I don't think there's a university that DOESN"T take returning adult students. What specific aspects are you looking for? Some colleges provide far more support for this type of students, both financially and practically.

By Blaineko (Blaineko) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 03:23 pm: Edit

Hey there...

Here are some schools to note:

Sarah Lawrence
Columbia University--School of General Studies
John's Hopkins U.--School of Professional Studies
Washington U.--University College
Tulane U.--University College
Yale U.--Special Student
Brown U.--RUE Program
Tufts U--REAL Program
Connecticut College--RTC Program
UMass--Amherst--UWW Program
Skidmore--UWW Program
UPenn--General Studies
Harvard--Extention School
NYU--School of Continuing & Prof. Studies
Trinity College (CT)--IDP Program
Mt. Holyoke

These are just the tip of the iceburg. Each program is a little different. Just keep in mind that adult students are also welcome at almost any school, and that many public universities have special programs for adults or absorb those of any age who want to complete a degree.

It just depends on what you want. There are many options.

Hope this helps a bit. :)

By Lordmandean (Lordmandean) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 08:20 am: Edit

Thank Blaineko. You certaintly cut down the time I needed to put in on research. Thank you!!!

By Blaineko (Blaineko) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 10:13 am: Edit

The last three schools, as you probably know are women's colleges; you can disreguard if you are a guy, just was not sure, since you do not have a profile here on CC. If I can be of more help, let me know.

By Blaineko (Blaineko) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 10:16 am: Edit

Glad I could help. :)


Hamilton College--Horizons Program
Union College--likes transfer adult applicants
The Evergreen State College--prefers adult students.

By Lordmandean (Lordmandean) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 08:55 am: Edit


By Elizabeth22 (Elizabeth22) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 05:06 pm: Edit

Smith has a really great program for returning students. Give it a look.

By Mini (Mini) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 05:11 pm: Edit

10% of the places at Smith are reserved for older students; average age 36, with a spread from 24 to 69. Special programs, accommodations, and housing options for returning students are huge!

And they actively recruit. Lots of financial aid, too, when needed.

By Shyboy13 (Shyboy13) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 05:15 pm: Edit

Community Colleges and the UC's.

By Lordmandean (Lordmandean) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 06:58 am: Edit

i am a male so Smith is out of the question I guess. I am really keen on applying to Columbia School of General Studies and NYU Galatin as I would like to live in New York. I would like to thank everyone for their help!!!

By Outram (Outram) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 03:07 am: Edit

How about foreign adult students?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page