WUSTL vs. Duke

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: WUSTL vs. Duke
By Tallyrand (Tallyrand) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 03:55 am: Edit

I don't want to apply to both, but I want to apply to one. I'm a prospective bio/premed major, who also wants to study English or anthropology on the side.

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 04:25 am: Edit

Go for personal choice. Both Wash U and Duke are awesome in Biology and Medcine/premed and both are good but not great in English and Anthropology. In short, you should go for the school that would be a better fit for you.

By Baseballtwin86 (Baseballtwin86) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 09:05 am: Edit

Hmm, I don't know if this will sway you or not, but Duke's Freshman Orientation Book is about a Duke graduate who earned an MD/PhD in anthropology at Harvard and went on to set up a clinic in Haiti and create Partners in Health (www.pih.org).

By Baltodad (Baltodad) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 10:10 am: Edit

Why don't you want to apply to both? If they're both attractive to you, it's foolish not to apply to each.

Are you only applying to one college, total?? I suggest you change your mind and apply to between five and ten.

By Collegehelper (Collegehelper) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 12:12 pm: Edit

I'd go with Duke. WHy? Because I like sports.

This is the main difference between Duke and WUSTL.

Duke: Great education, superior athletics, great college town, rivalry with the Tar Heels over at UNC, great name. The absolute king of education in the southern half of the united states. Better then Emory, Vanderbilt etc...

WUSTL: Also great education, athletics are not comparable to Duke's, less name recognition, located in St. Louis (some people think it is not very nice), high jewish population (its not bad by any means), competes with schools in Chicago.

By Tosg (Tosg) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 12:56 pm: Edit

...But, on the other hand, if you want a school that doesn't funnel huge sums of money into maintaining Division I athletics, then WUSTL is a better bet.

Both schools will give you a great education...I'd look into both and see which seems to be a better fit.

(Oh, and I'd hardly say that Durham is a better place to be than St. Louis...especially the very nice area that Wash U is located in.)

Then again, I'm going to WUSTL next year, so I'm more than likely a little biased.

By Palmbeach12 (Palmbeach12) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 12:58 pm: Edit

why don't you want to apply to both? if it is because of ED i would say it's a no brainer: DUKE.

WUSTL, In many peoples opinion, took advantage of U.S. News for ranking. Their peer assessment is a 4.2! They do not yet deserve to be compared to the likes of DUKE

By Hammertime (Hammertime) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 03:18 pm: Edit

if you go to Duke, you get a free i-Pod!!!!!! So worth it!!!!!!!!!

On a sidenote....as I just tried to type in "i-Pod" as one word, I found that it was banned, and I got the red dots that one would get for a curseword. That is really weird.

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 04:12 pm: Edit

Palmbeach, I agree with you to an extent. Clearly, the peer assessment score is the single most telling indicator of academic excellence and prestige, but WUSTL is excellent in Biology, premed and medicine. I would pick Duke over WUSTL personally, but it really bils down to taste.

By Immortal (Immortal) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 04:20 pm: Edit

"WUSTL, In many peoples opinion, took advantage of U.S. News for ranking. Their peer assessment is a 4.2! They do not yet deserve to be compared to the likes of DUKE"

What superficial crap.

They're both awesome and highly regarded in biomed. Look into both schools and decide which one would be a better fit for you.

By Prima_Donna (Prima_Donna) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 04:23 pm: Edit

lol, i already have a free i-pod, it came with my volkswagen, guess im going to WUSTL ;-)

By Slipper2002 (Slipper2002) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 05:24 pm: Edit

Duke is more prestigious.

By Collegehelper (Collegehelper) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 06:04 pm: Edit

I second slipper's notion

By Palmbeach12 (Palmbeach12) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 09:42 pm: Edit

hoorah! I am not crazy! :) Granted, WUSTL is up and coming.. it still has a way to go before it is recognized like Duke, Northwestern, Uchicago, etc

By Wobudong (Wobudong) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 09:47 pm: Edit

I agree that you should apply to both. Duke is a much tougher admit, beginning to border on an HYP lottery, so if you apply only to Duke you could wind up with neither.

By Par72 (Par72) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 01:14 am: Edit

Duke is much better.

By Tallyrand (Tallyrand) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 01:22 am: Edit

Hm...the reason why I'm trying to decide between the two is that I'm already planning on applying to eight other schools: Yale(EA), Stanford, Columbia, Brown, Amherst, UChicago, Wellesley, and Oberlin. I could apply to both(I like them both, really!)...but it would be ideal for me to pick one. Cuts down on the number of essays to write and application fees to pay. Either that or I could cut out another school...

By Slipper2002 (Slipper2002) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 10:15 am: Edit

I would apply to both and cut Chicago. My reasoning is overall experience and quality of life. Both WUSTL and Duke are higher. I wouldn't ignore Dartmouth either, its a good mix of those others, i.e. liberal, 4000 people, academics, etc.

By Slipper2002 (Slipper2002) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 10:16 am: Edit

Dartmouth offers anthropology grants which are basically research passports to anywhere in the world. also BTW- you can also combine bio with anthro there, do a thesis in one, and graduate with biology and biological anthro double major.

By Ay_Caramba (Ay_Caramba) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 10:15 pm: Edit

on a side note, only THIS year's freshmen get free i-pods. don't apply for next year expecting to get one.

By Stanfordman99 (Stanfordman99) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 12:20 am: Edit

Yay Dartmouth!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page