Help me with my list please

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Help me with my list please
By Pkit (Pkit) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 03:31 pm: Edit

hey, i go to a very hard private school where the classes are... very hard. Everyone from my school goes to a 4 yr college, and out of the 70 kids in my grade, about 20-25 are going to be national merit commended and/or semifinalists.

Honors and AP classes are weighted .5 and AP and honors are pretty much only offered in 11th grade on (thus partially explaining my low gpa)

I take pretty much all the hardest courses offered and will be taking 3 AP classes , 1 honors, and 1 regular class next yr

unweighted: 3.3, weighted: 3.5
i took 2 ap classes: english language and USH
SAT: 1480 (730 M, 750 V)
National Merit commended student (206)
Haven't taken sat2 yet but will prolly have about a 730 or so avg, all at least 700.

extra curricular: 1 yr JV tennis, 2 yr varsity tennis, 1 yr newspaper, 1 yr student council treasurer (going to be senior yr), 2 yrs scholastic scrimmage club,2 yrs Model UN, 3 yrs ski club, 1 yr jv golf

community service: 65 hrs library, 20 at local radio station, 40 at hospital working in ER (by the end of the summer i'll have about 150 hrs total)

I got an A this summer in a college psychology class at Lehigh.

HOPEFULLY my senior yr gpa will be high, but of course that's what i said going into jr yr, but i think i'll be able to make it happen for the first half of senior yr.

so far i've visited NYU, GW, Lehigh, UVA, Tufts, Brandeis, Penn (I have triple legacy and i'm not really looking at it but my brother goes there so i've seen the campus) I also want to look at UNC. Any other possible colleges that u would suggest? could u tell me which of those are safeties/match/reach? thanks.

By Pkit (Pkit) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 04:46 pm: Edit

anyone?

By Blaineko (Blaineko) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 04:55 pm: Edit

Hey there...

Here are some suggestions, in no particular order:

Trinity U (TX)
Case Western
Lehigh
Vandy
Hamilton
Tulane
UW-Madison
Union
Trinity C (CT)
URochester
Bucknell
Bard
Sewanee (University of the South)
DePauw
Furman
Skidmore
Dension
Rhodes
Lewis & Clark
Willamette
St. Olaf
Reed
Wheaton (MA)
Lawrence U
Beloit
Centre
Hendrix

Hope this helps. :)

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 08:12 pm: Edit

I want to comment that your post does not give us any ideas about what you want to study, what interest you, what kind of school you want. I have noticed this pattern in many of the kids posting. Hard to come up with any schools with what you have given us about yourself.

The schools you have listed are all fairly known names and I cannot come up with the link that had you pick them. You mention that you are a triple legacy at Penn (I believe parents only count as legacy there) with a sibling there which is a "tip" factor, which adds up to a better chance for you to get in there if you apply ED, but you show no real interest in the school itself. You have not taken any SAT2s yet, which puzzles me since most prep schools stress taking them after you take the corresponding course. Most prep school kids do better, on average, on the writing SAT2, so a 700 range is not an unreasonable guess, but a only a guess until we have actual numbers. As to the other SAT2s, it makes it a bit tough taking them first term senior year. Hopefully, you are studying for them.

What courses have you taken in your school? Which APs for senior year, what is your senior schedule? Which SAT2s are you considering?

Your gpa, per se for a rigorous prep school is not going to take you out of the running from any of your choices. Your SAT1 is right up there as well. Your ECs are a bit weak, but difficult to really judge as you are just laundrylisting.

Somehow through your essay and statement, you should come up with a compelling reason for a school to take you. Your interests, aspirations, activities all paint a sort of a picture. Statistically, you are sound so far, as I do believe you are probably right on with your SAT2 guess. But these days it takes more than numbers to get an acceptance. Give us a little bit more, and you'll get some suggestions.

By Pkit (Pkit) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 08:43 pm: Edit

Well, next year i'm taking Stat AB, Calc AP, English Lit AP, Advanced BIo (honors), Spanish 4. i'm planning on taking writing, match 1c, and chem SAT2s. I don't really know what i want to major in, maybe premed/bio, law, business? haha yea that doesn't help much. i DONT' want a small school since i'm sick of my small highschool.

Also, a side note, i am triple legacy because penn counts grandparents as legacy also, and i think maybe even great grandparents
so my brother goes there, my mom went there, my dad went to penn med, my grandfather went (that's three) and my great grandfather went (not sure if that counts, but 4 if it is). anyway, it's a moot point cuz i don't think i want to go there.

By Blaineko (Blaineko) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 08:47 pm: Edit

Pkit...

You can throw out most of my list, as they are small. About 1600-3000 students.

:)

By Pkit (Pkit) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 09:06 pm: Edit

haha, sorry for wasting your time man. i should have said i din't want a small school in my originall post

By Bettina (Bettina) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 09:33 pm: Edit

You don't give any reason you are so dismissive of Penn, which is a good sized school, so it's really hard to know what things you don't like.

By Pkit (Pkit) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 10:19 pm: Edit

i am dismissive of penn because if i decide to do premed, it is a horrible school for premed. the classes are way too hard and the curve is impossible, so it will just make things difficult for getting into med school

By Par72 (Par72) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 12:25 am: Edit

Colgate,Holy Cross,or Bowdoin all have very good pre-med programs.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page