HELP! HS Courses/Credits & Grades

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: HELP! HS Courses/Credits & Grades
By Lax46 (Lax46) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 01:41 am: Edit

I'm a rising sophomore and I know (or am pretty sure) that my grades will keep me away from a good college. :-( I was part of this program which allowed me to receive credit for coursework completed in 8th grade and it ended up screwing me over because I never knew how important these grades in 8th grade would be used in calculating my GPA and class percentile and will forever grace my high school transcript.

Listed are my courses and grades earned thus far. Next to the course, the first column provides the first semester final grade and the second column provides the second semester final grade. H stands for Honors, R for Regular.

8th:

H Environmental Science B B
H Survey Literature A B
H Algebra B C
H United States History A A
R Computer Info Tech B C

9th:

H Biology A B
H American Literature B A
H Spanish 1 B A
H Geometry C B
H World Studies C A
R Boys’ Chorus A A
R Physical Education 1 A A

I know I'm improving and I am hoping that I will maintain this upward trend. (I suck at math/science in school but those are what I score highest on in standardized testing for some reason.)

My advisor and I composed the following course goal plan for the next 3 years of high school.

10th:

H Chemistry
H British Literature
H Spanish 2
H Adv. Algebra w/ Trig
H Global Issues
R Art 1
R Physical Education 2
[Introductory French at North Park Univ. over summer]

11th:

H Physics
AP English Language
H Spanish 3
H Precalculus
AP Statistics
AP European History
AP Chemistry
[Intermediate French at DePaul Univ. or Northwestern Univ. over summer]

12th:

AP Biology
AP English Literature
H Spanish 4
AP Art History
AP Calculus AB
AP Government & Politics
R Advanced Mixed Chorus

I don't know! I'm just so nervous/anxious because I see you all with near perfect GPAs. My current GPA is a weighted 4.0.. (H: A=5 pts., etc.; R: A=4 pts., etc.)

Just solely considering my grades/courses/credits, will they force me to say a dreaded goodbye to my dreams of going to an excellent college/university?

By Arthurd (Arthurd) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 01:55 am: Edit

Whoa there... take it easy, you've got plenty of time to raise your grades. First of all, you can strike out your 8th grade performance as colleges don't consider 8th grade. So, you're looking at a group of As and Bs with two Cs in your first year of HS -- it's not terrible. Your most important years are still ahead of you. 10th and 11th grades along with early 12th grade will be the key. Just hit the books and try to boost some of those Bs to As and get rid of the Cs, you'll be fine!

See if you can get several extracurricular activities in over the next 3 years, that always helps.

The best advice you can get at this point is to just keep trying and improving those grades. If you do a stellar job in the next 3 years, most good colleges/universities will be more than happy to overlook the slight downfalls in your early HS career.

Good luck in the future!

By Lax46 (Lax46) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 02:09 am: Edit

Arthurd, thank you! Woo, man, there's just something about external validation.

I guess I am pretty involved in extracurriculars at school.

9th grade:

:: Freshman Class President
:: Co-founder and Mentor, Peer Mentoring Program
:: Co-founder and Director of Public Relations, Desi Club
:: Midfielder, junior varsity lacrosse.. no jv letter though :-(
:: Junior reporter, school newspaper

I only really liked Student Council, Peer Mentoring, and lacrosse. I didn't run again for a leadership position in Student Council for 10th grade but I will probably represent my advisory in SC next year. I'm continuing the mentoring program, and will continue to play lacrosse.

Starting next week, I'll officially be a founding editor of a national literary magazine based in downtown Chicago. And I also want to start something called the Philomathean Society next year at my school, which is a debating and literary society.

Thank you so much for your motivation. I really do hope that I can improve those grades, get off that math/science stumper'ish position I'm on now, and.. try my best (as cliche as it sounds)!

By Bettina (Bettina) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 02:30 am: Edit

For an editor, you are verbose.

No one cares about 8th grade AT ALL, or 9th much. Pick your classes one year at a time. It is fine to get a pre-req in, but you seem like a nob.

Just try to do: 4 yrs Eng Lang, 4 yrs Fgn Lag, 3-4 yrs Sci, 3 yrs hist.

Lose the extra crap for something you like.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page