Univ Colorado - any opinions?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Univ Colorado - any opinions?
By Oldman (Oldman) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 09:18 pm: Edit

Will be visiting Boulder area next week and plan on taking my 11th grader to check it out...can anyone comment upon academic pros vs cons...academic environment in general...which departments are good? any other comments whether it be social, sports,etc appreciated! Thanks.

By Mom101 (Mom101) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 09:22 pm: Edit

I have to say, this is the only school I know multiple people who have removed their kids from. My cousin, my dentist's son, my neighbor. Ski and party animals all who got into academic troubles at Snow U.

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 10:06 pm: Edit

My nephew is a senior @ Boulder. Likes it very much, doesn't live on campus. He is a aeronautical engineering major and is spending the summer interning in Ohio somewhere. Turned down Duke for Boulder.

By Kriskrass (Kriskrass) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 11:04 pm: Edit

I knew 2 girls from the area I live in, I knew them pretty well as i had dated one both were home within their first year, My current girlfriends bestfriend from h.s went and according to her was pretty much drunk 24/7 calling her (at a midwest school) all hours to talk about being drunk and had to transfer (parents forced it) to csuf where I think she still goes maybe dropped out. I would think that its like anywhere else if you let yourself get sucked in youre doomed but it just seems like everyone I have ever heard of doesnt do so hot there.

By Goodchocolate (Goodchocolate) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 11:09 pm: Edit

Drugs, mountains, drugs, drugs, drugs, drugs, drugs, parties, drugs, parties, drugs, parties, parties, parties, parties, parties.

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 11:46 pm: Edit

actually goodchocolate I think it is more like
mountains, mountains, football, parties, alcohol,sex, mountains, parties, study
http://outside.away.com/outside/features/200309/200309_college_towns_1.html

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 12:15 am: Edit

where do I sign up??

By Thekev (Thekev) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 12:16 am: Edit

Strong academic reputation, though not all students make use of it. EXcellent location.

By Oldman (Oldman) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 10:49 am: Edit

Thanks...party reputation around here also. Any comments on academics?

By Demingy (Demingy) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 03:49 pm: Edit

Qualifier: I live in Colorado.....

Anyway, since everyone else has talked about the party reputation of CU (and it really deserves that rep), I'll tell you what I know about the academics.

I think that CU is actually academically sound in most areas for students that apply themselves. They have an excellent honors program. It really depends on what your child plans on studying as far as the academics goes. One key thing to remember (and I've been surprised that more people didn't know this) is that CU is very strong as far as the health sciences and research studies go. In fact, just about everyone in Colorado has heard of the CU Health Sciences Center and I'm sure a quick google search will give you plenty of articles on the grants and awards that have been granted to the CUHSC. Also CU is one of the schools that have stem cells that they conduct research on (can you tell what my major is?), not sure if that really matters to you or not.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Considering my interest in science I haven't done a lot of research on CU's other programs. All I know is that I know a lot of successful people (business owner, upper management, accountants, etc) who attended CU.

By Oldman (Oldman) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 08:30 pm: Edit

Thanks.....

By Demingy (Demingy) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 09:18 am: Edit

Oldman,

As I mentioned, I know quite a few people who attended CU. Is there a particular program you'd like me to ask about?

By Oldman (Oldman) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 10:58 am: Edit

Biology and chemistry......how about economics?

By Demingy (Demingy) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 11:04 am: Edit

Well, I know that biology and chemistry are pretty strong (as I had mentioned in my post). I'll check on economics and post back.

By Demingy (Demingy) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 03:18 pm: Edit

Unfortunately I haven't found anyone who majored in economics, but our CFO did his undergrad and graduate work at CU in accounting/finance and he said that he loved it. I know that doesn't help much (sorry) especially since he graduated with his masters about fifteen years ago.

I will vouch for biology and chemistry though. I have CU as my safety and if I was at all interested in staying in Colorado I would definitely be transferring there. I think that as far as research science goes, CU is one of the lesser known gems......but I wouldn't recommend it for someone who isn't self motivated and driven because it is similar to most universities of its size in that there isn't a lot of hand holding and really the best education comes from their various honors programs (check out their website for descriptions of the programs available).

I hope you guys enjoy Colorado and good luck on your search. :)

By Oldman (Oldman) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 07:22 pm: Edit

I appreciate your thoughts.

By Aceofhearts54 (Aceofhearts54) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 10:11 pm: Edit

I'm applying. Theres plenty of academic merit if you know where to look, and the people still know how to have fun.

By Zero (Zero) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 01:24 am: Edit

I'm from Colorado and most of my close friends are going to Boulder...anyway, CU has a lot of good programs and is relatively easy to get into but I don't really think it's worth the out of state tuition...yes, parties, drugs, sex, football games, and binge drinking are pretty much the norm, but your kid is ultimately going to determine his/her priorities...if you want to go there to study seriously you can do it. if you want to go there to party you can do it. if you want to combine the two you can do it. One complaint i've heard is that there are way too many TA's that teach classes and also way too many professors that can't speak english..but i suppose that's common at any large research university

By Tsdad (Tsdad) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 07:20 am: Edit

From Academe Today for 8/6/2004, a daily newsletter of the Chronicle of Higher Education:

In a related development on Thursday, James A. Martin Jr., a regent of the University of Colorado, announced that he would not stand for re-election to the board because he believes the university is not acting to protect its students. In May, the Board of Regents expressed strong support for the decision by Elizabeth Hoffman, the university system's president, not to discipline anyone involved in the scandal [involving alleged sexual assualts on women by football players and the complicity of the football staff], despite recommendations from an independent commission and a separate investigator for major changes in the athletics department's operations and recruiting practices.

Mr. Martin said that he had tried to work with the university's administration and the Board of Regents but believed that both had failed to accept "the responsibility to reform." He called on Gov. Bill Owens, a Republican, and the state legislature to get involved, along with the NCAA and its president, Myles Brand.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page