Urgent help needed to make my college list short....

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Urgent help needed to make my college list short....
By Boomer01 (Boomer01) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 11:11 am: Edit

Ok guys, I have a list of colleges and need some help in shortening it to at 15-18.
Some info about me:
I will be a senior in the fall. I am a international and can only afford about 20-25K per year. I hope to major in electrical or biomedical engineering and maybe minor in economics. I took the SATs and my score is 1310 and my unweighted GPA is ~3.5-3.6 UW. I will take the SATs in October. Based on this, help me to make this list shorter.

College Interest
SUNY Binghamton
U of British Columbia
Case Western Reserve Univ
Colgate Univ
Drexel Univ
Duke Univ
U of IL Urbana-Champaign
Illinois Inst of Tech
Indiana U Bloomington
IU Purdue Indianapolis
LSU and A&M Coll
Louisiana Tech Univ
Marquette Univ
UMD University College
U of Michigan
U of North Carolina Chapel Hill
Pennsylvania State Univ
U of Pennsylvania
U of Pittsburgh
Purdue Univ
Rensselear Polytech Inst
Rice Univ
Rochester Inst of Tech
U of Texas Austin
U of Toronto
Virginia Polytechnic Inst
Washington Univ in St Louis

By Boomer01 (Boomer01) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 11:48 am: Edit

bumpity bump..... bumptastic..

By Emswim (Emswim) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 05:17 pm: Edit

Cross IU off your list for engineering. Though I'm a huge IU fan, Purdue is much better for that if you want to attend school in Indiana. Purdue has an awesome engineering program that's internationally known, as well as a brand new undergrad biomedical engineering program. They're also very strong in electrical engineering. Good luck with narrowing down your list!

By A2a2 (A2a2) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 05:38 pm: Edit

I think you can eliminate the following:

Colgate Univ
Duke Univ
U of Michigan
U of North Carolina Chapel Hill
U of Pennsylvania
Rice Univ
Washington Univ in St Louis

I don't think your scores/GPA are high enough. I don't know much about financial aid for international students - except that it's a lot harder to come by. You might have to aim a little lower and find a school that is generous with aid to international students. You may want to check out Rose-Hulman.

By Boomer01 (Boomer01) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 10:46 pm: Edit

I put down Colgate because it is generous with financial aid. I will take the following out:
U of Penn
Chapel hill
IUPUI
Duke
UMD - college park
U of Michigan - this seems like a good place but the tuition is too high for a public instuition.
I will try to keep Rice on my list as it is only 30K and provides generous aid so does WUSTL. Also I might add middlebury to my list. I think I have too many pennsylvania schools on there probably because I am biased having lived there.
If someone help me some more, that would be great.

By Boomer01 (Boomer01) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 01:21 am: Edit

more help needed.....

By Leaf (Leaf) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 06:06 am: Edit

I don't much about the locations of the schools, so forgive me if I'm not helping here:

Have you really thought about the type of environment you want to spend the next few years of your life? Would you rather live in a city where you more or less have to be independent? Or a small suburb like area were you'll know your way around in a few days? How big do you want the school (the type where everyone knows everyone)?

Or you could use the method of if you had to choose 15 schools out of 20, what would they be...then 10 schools out of 15...and so on. Pretend someone's holding a favorite family member or friend hostage and the only way to free them is by narrowing your list (sounds sort of stupid, but it worked for me) :)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page