Grade Inflation

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Grade Inflation
By Lifeisgood (Lifeisgood) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 05:35 am: Edit

If a college's average GPA is 3.27, how much grade inflation would you say that there is?

By Jonw222 (Jonw222) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 02:23 pm: Edit

This isn't nearly enough data to properly assess any college's grade inflation or grade inflation overall.

However, if the average college GPA is 3.27 that means that the average GPA is close to a B+ (3.3). Now, I ask you. How much is a B+ average worth (to graduate school, prospective employers) if over half the people at a particular college have above that?

The proof of grade inflation can be seen in how the college's choose their "Dean's List." At Harvard for instance, Dean's List used to be a certain average (I believe it was a 3.6 or a 3.7 but I could be wrong.) Over half of the Harvard class made the Dean's List so the distinction meant nothing. So did the distinction of honors. A professor at a college where 65% of the students made the Dean's list famously made the suggestion that to save paper, the college should print the names of the student's *not* on the Dean's List.

I could go on more of a rant about grade inflation but I won't. I will say that it is a serious problem.

JW

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 03:21 pm: Edit

It also depends on the grade distribution. Let's say that the 3.27 is made up of a lot of humanities majors who average a 3.5 or a 3.6 - that's some grade inflation. Then, there are a lot of physics, chem, and engineering majors who average a 2.7 or a 2.8. That's grade deflation. Even within a major, the intro classes could be averaged around a B or a B- (3.0 or 2.67 respectively), and the upper-levels could have much higher grades. In that case, there isn't much grade inflation (hopefully). I would think that a 3.27 is actually pretty good for a median GPA.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page