I Should be Worried about applying to these schools?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: I Should be Worried about applying to these schools?
By Burbabe17 (Burbabe17) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 01:12 am: Edit

Hey these are some of the colleges that I am applying to this year..planning on maybe majoring in poli sci..know of anything about ANY of these schools that i should be concerned about before applying?

*Kenyon College
*Fordham U
*Michigan State
*U Mich
*Ohio State
*St. John's U in ny
*Loyola Chicago
*Depaul U
*CU-Boulder
*U of Minnesota-Twin Cities

By Thekev (Thekev) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 01:26 am: Edit

UMmm Yeah. Michigan Sucks ! Go Buckeyes. Just kidding

By Thekev (Thekev) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 01:26 am: Edit

UMmm Yeah. Michigan Sucks ! Go Buckeyes. Just kidding

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 01:35 am: Edit

Shame on you THEKEV! And I thought we had a pact going!!! LOL

Burbabe, if you want to major in Political Science, you cannot do better than Ann Arbor. So, since you are an in-stater, if you have a 3.8+ GPA and a 1300+ SAT score, apply before October and wait for the thick envelope!

By Kk19131 (Kk19131) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 01:39 am: Edit

Ha! I'm sure we all know that Buckeyes and Wolverines are nothing against Wildcats!

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 03:02 am: Edit

God I love the Big 10!!! No better conference anywhere...athletically and more importantly...academically.

Kk, remember 1996? I felt like I was caught in the Twilight Zone that year. First, Michigan loses to Northwestern in football 16-17. Yuck!!! Then, a couple of weeks later, Business Week ranked Michigan's MBA program #2 in the nation, ahead of #3 Kellogg! Weird!!!LOL

By Blaineko (Blaineko) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 03:19 pm: Edit

Grinnell has an awesome Political Science department. So do the Badgers (UWisconsin-Madison). Also check out UIowa and UIlinois. :)

Just had to throw that in there.

By Kk19131 (Kk19131) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 04:23 pm: Edit

1996 was a fluke! LOL

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 04:52 pm: Edit

Hehe...you know Kk, I graduated from Michigan in summer of 1996. In the Fall of 1996 I was working for Lehman Brothers in London.

Well, as you can imagine, the game was played pretty late by London time, dinner time in fact. By the time the game had ended, and my Wildcal pal had called me to gloat, I was eating my dessert. It was about 11:00 PM London time and I was sitting at my table, completely grossed out by the result. After all, Michigan was leading 16-0 at the half. Anyway, I was wallowing in my misery (Wolverines don't take kindly to losing to Northwestern two years in a row and we had lost to you guys in 1995 as well) when some punk b@stard came up to me and asked me if I was a Michigan alum. I proudly told him that I was indeed. He proceeded to say the following 8 words of woe:

"I went to Northwestern. We just beat you!"

Like I said, I love the Big 10!!! LOL

By Fonzie (Fonzie) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 08:19 pm: Edit

The Northwestern Michigan shoot out of 00 (maybe 01) where it was like 54-51 was.... the best football game I think I've ever seen.

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 01:14 am: Edit

BURBABE, we have drifted from your question. Can you give us some of your stats? SATs? GPA (unweighed)? Class rank etc... It is difficult to evaluate your chances without those numbers.

FONZIE, you are a shameless man, brining up that 2000 debacle! LOL We had won that game. All Anthony Thomas had to do was hold on to the damn ball!!! Oh well, c'est la vie.

By Lax46 (Lax46) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 01:49 am: Edit

Burbabe - DePaul & Loyola Chicago are great schools!

DePaul is known to attract quite a lot of rich, Catholic, suburban white girls from the suburbs of Chicago and also plenty of underprivelaged folk from the inner city, and oh yes, it is located in the historically yuppie and GLBT communique of Lincoln Park!

Loyola Univ. Chicago is a magnet of Asians whose parents refuse to send them off to rival UIC (U of I at Chicago) only because Loyola is Jesuit, and thus better in their eyes, to UIC. Loyola is cute. A lot of hard-working people there who attain better grades than they do test scores.

By Arthurd (Arthurd) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 01:59 am: Edit

Well, the main campus of Fordham University is in a not so nice part of the Bronx. Quite frankly it's smack dab in the ghetto. That would be a consideration for many people.

By Enzom (Enzom) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 10:09 am: Edit

Kenyon has a superb and nationally recognized poli sci department. Their first year course, The Quest For Justice is widely regarded and the whole department is excellent. The majored in poli sci there. good luck.

By Blaineko (Blaineko) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 01:16 pm: Edit

Kenyon is isolated though....

The school is basically the town, the town the college. And, Kenyon's fraternity scene is rather large and boisterous. Visited several times, definately like Colby and Williams with respect to drinking culture. I guess it's because of the rural nature of the surrounding area. Good college, but known more for it's English department.

Also, not very diverse, at least with respect to different races, but has got better in recent years. Has positives, as students are friendly, and profs easily accessible.

Do not ED unless you do not have alot of need. Kenyon does not guarentee to meet financial need. RD if that would be an issue.

Schools that would meet need and are similar to some of your schools:

Hamilton C (NY)
Connecticut C (CT)
Trinity C (CT)
URochester (NY)
Case Western Reserve U (OH)
DePauw U (IN)
College of the Holy Cross (MA)
Earlham C (IN)
Sarah Lawrence C (NY)

Just my 2 cents.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page