Which Claremont School for What Major?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Which Claremont School for What Major?
By Boxmaker1917 (Boxmaker1917) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 11:28 pm: Edit

I reread an earlier discussion on the Claremont Schools but I would appreciate further opinions.

Which Claremont College(s) are the best for:

1. "Traditional" liberal arts education?
2. Possible majors: Russian, Spanish, psychology, linguistics or some combination?
3. Small class sizes and/or mostly seminar-style of classes
4. Personal interest of faculty in students
5. Quality of faculty as measured by terminal degrees, where they got their degrees and student evals?
6. Student "happiness" -- however that is measured?

thanks for any info and all suggestions!

By Arizonamom (Arizonamom) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 01:53 am: Edit

Pomona is ranked #2 for happy students by Princeton Review but I can't imagine not being happy at any of the Claremonts. All have small class sizes and personal attention with faculty. Pomona and Pitzer are more psychology, all have good languages except maybe Harvet-Mudd the engineering school but you can cross register at any of the schools. I have heard great things on CC about Scripps as well. Good luck,

By Justwannahelp (Justwannahelp) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 02:00 pm: Edit

1. pomona
2. pitzer
3. cmc
4. all
5. pomona/harvey mudd depending on subject
6. depend on what kind of person you are!

By Tkdgal (Tkdgal) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 09:10 pm: Edit

And for English? Would Pomona be considered the best?

By Jlq3d3 (Jlq3d3) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 10:25 pm: Edit

Pomona is great at everything. Harvey Mudd is specialized for math/sci/engineering. CMC is focused on polysci/econ/ir. But dont worry, you can take a class at any of the schools.

By Reidmc (Reidmc) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 12:16 am: Edit

You have to make some very fine distinctions to come up with single-school answers here. All the Claremont colleges are strong. With the addition of Scripps at #3, I guess I'd go along with justwannahelp's response(s).

By Jaredthegreat (Jaredthegreat) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 01:03 am: Edit

Are any of the Claremonts particularly good for undergrad Astronomy? (just trying to narrow down my list of 40+ great schools)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page