Good college for Bioengineering/Genetics!? PLUS rate my prof

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Good college for Bioengineering/Genetics!? PLUS rate my prof
By Perfectdark9 (Perfectdark9) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 01:09 pm: Edit

I'm looking to get into MIT, Harvard or JHU. What are your thoughts?
============
GCE O Level Examination; Obtained 9 As along with the following distinctions:

Best 9 As in Pakistan
Best Overall Candidate from Aitchison College, 2003
Best Candidate in Pakistan Studies in Aitchison College, 2003

Currently doing A Levels; Obtained 4 straight As in first year A Levels Final Examination (internal)

Other Honours: Stood first in 5th, 7th and 9th grade in class batches ranging from 200-250.

SAT Scores

SAT: Reasoning Test 1470
SAT: Subject Tests
1. Chemistry 800/800
2. Physics 790/800
3. Maths 1C 790/800

EC's:
1. 1st position in the English Essay Writing Competition, in school, 2001

2. Represented school in interschool mathematics competition; team was declared the BEST OVERALL TEAM.

3. 2nd position in the Urdu Essay Writing Competition, in school, 2001

4. Worked for a 3-month period with Shalimar School for Hearing Impaired Children, Lahore, Pakistan.

5. Organized, planned and implemented a thorough multiple-visit tour of the Lahore Zoo, as part of the project of Nature Club of Aitchison College.

6. Awarded 1st position in English Handwriting by the Babar Ali Foundation, a national annual competition.

7. 3rd position in English Handwriting Competition, in school, 2003

8. Represented the school as part of a 5-member team in the South Asia High School Student Programme, held in Japan from 1- 10 December 2003.

9. Editor of College Magazine, Aitchisonian English 2004.

10. Honorary member of MENSA, an IQ-based society, securing 99%ile.

11. Founder of the Poetry Club in Aitchison College.

12. 2nd position in English Essay Writing Competition in Westminster College, another school.

13. 1st position in English Essay Writing Competition at Institute of Management Sciences (IMS), another college.

14. Poetry book in the process of being published by Jang Publishers, a national publisher

15. Taught two students O'Levels Biology from scratch, covering a course of 36 months in 9, without any assistance from a teacher. One got an A, the other got a C

16. Summer internship with the regional director of Trade Information Network, a subsidiary of UN

17. Took introductory French classes this summer, so that now I'm a trilingual :)

By Perfectdark9 (Perfectdark9) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 01:16 pm: Edit

Also, a bit of personal detail: I'm Asian, from Pakistan; from one of the very good schools, Aitchison College; quite a lot of students from our schcool make it into good US colleges, more than 30 every year from a batch of about 150 students. Except for last year, when only one guy got into a US college, into Yale :S.

Thankfully, I can write really well, so the admin essays should not be aa problem. In fact, the CommApp is up and I'm going to start 'trying' to write perfect essays soon.

By Perfectdark9 (Perfectdark9) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 01:21 pm: Edit

I am also taking the VERY toughest course selection in my A' Levels: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths, and Further Maths. A'Level F.Math is closer to BSc. Maths, or so I've heard.:)

By Rtkysg (Rtkysg) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 01:27 pm: Edit

Err ... not really Perfectdark9 :)
A level Further Math is still not as difficult as Special Paper A level Core Math and Special Paper A level Further Math. Further math is slightly easier than MIT first semester, while Special Paper Further Math may take the difficulty of the whole freshman year in engineering mathematics at MIT.

By Perfectdark9 (Perfectdark9) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 01:32 pm: Edit

Well you keep hearing weird stuff all the time lol. Anyway at least the MIT people will know WHAT I'm studying right now.

What do you think about the overall, well, package for MIT, Harvard?

By Rtkysg (Rtkysg) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 01:48 pm: Edit

Well, MIT is definitely the best, along with JHU for Biomed engrg, while Harvard pales comparatively.

However, your best chances is at JHU. For MIT, as an international student, frankly speaking, your result is kinda average (at least for int'l students from Singapore, Hong Kong and India which also employ A level); HOWEVER, if you are one of the best from YOUR country, then your chance is very good :).

Harvard admission is pretty crappy and unpredictable, sometimes they would just admit a person being the founder of national liberal club or being Miss Pakistan LOL. But you still stand a chance based on academic performance.

By Perfectdark9 (Perfectdark9) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 05:08 am: Edit

Kinda average result? What are you talking about? How many people in Asia, or the countries you mentioned, got 9A's in their O' Levels, and topped in their own country too??

And if our talking about the A'Levels... well getting 4-5 A's is no easy job, I can tell you that! :)

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 08:05 am: Edit

Perfectdark, I think Rtkysg means that your profile is typical of the hundreds of Asians who get accepted into MIT every year...and typical of the thousands who get rejected. You have the numbers, but so do over 1,000 students who apply to MIT from India and China every year. Of those, fewer than 5% get accepted. So don't take it personally.

At any rate, I disagree that MIT is the best along with Johns Hopkins at Bioengineering. I believe that Duke, UCSD and the University of Pennsylvania are also up there. But I do agree that Harvard is not worth applying to.

Personally, if I had your scores, I would apply to the following schools in order of excellence in Bio Engineering and overall excellence:

Johns Hopkins (match)
Duke (reach)
MIT (reach)
Penn (reach)
UC San Diego (safety)
University of Michigan-Ann Arbor (match)
Case Western (match)
University of Washington-Seattle (safety)
Boston University (Safety)

Good luck!

By Rtkysg (Rtkysg) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 09:13 am: Edit

Perfect_dark9,

May be it's a little hard to believe there, but in Singapore around 1000 students every year get 3 or 4 'A's for A level, around 50 students have 4 A + 2 Special Paper for 'A' level. The ten best students here normally have 5-6 'A's, 3 distinction on Special Papers, and international olympiad medal/certificate (math/physics/chem/bio/IT).

You can imagine then the stats of the top int'l students from China and India

Also the two best senior high schools (junior colleges) in Singapore (each admit more than 200) only admit students who get at least 8 straight A for 'O' level.

Your stats is definitely great, but is not distinct among other int'l students from east/southeast Asia who apply to MIT.

By Perfectdark9 (Perfectdark9) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 11:23 am: Edit

OK sowwie but I'm a tad bit newbie... :) I get what 'match' means... but what about 'reach'?

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 11:41 am: Edit

Reach means that the odds of your getting accepted are not good.

Match means that the odds of your getting accepted are decent to good.

Safety means that the odds of your getting accepted are excellent to certain.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page