Electrical/computer engineering

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Electrical/computer engineering
By Boomer01 (Boomer01) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 09:53 am: Edit

I would like a list of universities that are not necessarily in the top 10 in this field. My stats are not that good so If someone can provide me with a list of universites with strong electrical engineering program which will be not that hard to get into, I will be grateful.

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 10:03 am: Edit

It depends what you mean by not that good. If you mean you are not a 3.9 GPA student with a 1400 on your SATs, it is one thing, but if you mean you are a 3.0 student with a 1100 SAR it is another.

I am assuming you are a 3.5-3.7 student with a 1200-1300 on your SATs. With those numbers, the following schools are within your reach:

Colorado-Boulder (match)
Minnesota-Twin Cities (match)
Penn State University-University Park (reach)
Purdue-West Lafayette (match)
Texas A&M University-College Station (Reach)
Virginia Tech (match)
Washington-Seattle (match/reach)
Wisconsin-Madison (reach)

It is up to you to find safeties.

By Boomer01 (Boomer01) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 10:20 am: Edit

Ok u guessed right about my stats. I will look into those programs. BTW- Do you think Lousiana Tech university can be a good safety?

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 10:40 am: Edit

LSU and Louisiana Tech are both solid Engineering programs and yes, both would be considered safeties for a 3.6 student with a 1250 on her/his SATs...especially a Louisiana native.

By Alan5 (Alan5) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 12:20 pm: Edit

Look at WPI, Northeastern, Boston U, and WPI. Tufts is great too but is more selective.

By Thekev (Thekev) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 07:05 pm: Edit

Matches with reputable programs:
Oklahoma State
Texas A&M
U of Tulsa
LA Tech
Ohio State
U Missouri-Rolla (Reach)

By Mom101 (Mom101) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 07:24 pm: Edit

This is a simple question coming from someone studying outsourcing. It appears likely that there will be few jobs for engineers who are not top students at top schools because of how much cheaper it is for companies to hire such engineers in India, China and other countries. I'm wondering if most kids choosing this major understand this. Clearly they understand this at school's like Berkeley, where they read this daily in the newspapers and intro computer science students have dropped by half, but do they understand this in the rest of the country?

By Arthurd (Arthurd) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 07:59 pm: Edit

Rochester Inst. of Tech. and Stevens Inst. of Tech. are worth looking into.

By Boomer01 (Boomer01) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 04:06 am: Edit

I heard that computer, information technology and biotech jobs will skyrocket in 3-4 years again. It will be same as silicon valley boom. This will be about the time I graduate so I am sure there will be plenty of jobs. Engineering jobs are not going anywhere, they are here to stay. Even if they outsource the jobs, they will still need engineers in the US. Also more companies are realizing that many of its workers in India or China are not as competent as the ones in the US. So as they profit from the lower costs, they are losing from low quality work.

By Mom101 (Mom101) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 06:13 am: Edit

You may want to do some research on this Boomer, unfortunately you're very wrong.

By Flopsy (Flopsy) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 06:38 am: Edit

Boomer01, what's your source?

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 06:41 am: Edit

Your doing damage bright early this morning aren't Jan?! LOL

Boomer, unfortunately, Mom is right. There will always be Engineering jobs in the US and other Developed nations, but the fact is, the bulk of the jobs are going to Asia, where the talent is just as qualified and costs a fraction of the cost in the US. I am not just talking about the cost of Human Capital. I am talking about the cost of real estate and capital. In fact, companies in California are already having a significant portion of their employees working out of their homes because they can no longer afford renting out office space.

Just so that you know the trend and loyalties, about 4 years ago, the Clinton administration attempted to tighten laws regarding foreign contractors. Bill Gates placed a call to Clinton and told him in no uncertain terms that if such measures were passed, he would move Microsoft (the entire company) to Asia.

I believe I read somewhere that Bangalore in India has overtaken Silicon Valley as the largest concentration of IT people/comapnies/activity in the World. China is another blooming market for the IT and Engineering industries. Estimates say that China can produce a million PhDs a year. One Million!!!

At any rate, studying Engineering is excellent, but just don't count to stay an Engineer for long. Most of my friends who studied engineering got jobs with Investment Banks and with Consulting firms. Those types of companies love the quantitative and computer skills of Engineering. So I still feel that studying Engineering is a very good option, but don't be surprised if you have difficulties finding a job as an Engineer when you are done....and don't be surprised if you end up taking a job in a field completely unrelated to your field of study...like IBanking or Consulting.

By Boomer01 (Boomer01) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 06:59 am: Edit

lower value tasks, such as writing code, application development and infrastructure development, are increasingly being offshored because they are not perceived in large companies to be core business processes.
Challenger concurred that the more formulaic, repetitive work is particularly vulnerable and that much of it has moved overseas. He cited Web design as a sort of mixed example, in which the creative portion of the work remains here, while the development and programming of Web sites could be offshored.
Cultural Considerations
At the same time, Challenger said, cultural and translation issues will prevent areas like application development from being outsourced overseas entirely.

"Some companies get frustrated with the fact that people in another country don't understand the culture," Challenger said. "Something gets lost in translation" and then the offshore workers aren't right there to make adjustments to the work.
Challenger also believes that certain positions -- like those in computer operations -- can't easily be moved overseas. "If your servers go down, do you want to have to call New Zealand to get outside expertise?"

Systems engineers must be onsite in a lot of cases. "These jobs often require someone who understands, can talk to people and can adapt to their needs."

Got this from a website... consider it for what's it worth

By Mom101 (Mom101) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 12:50 pm: Edit

Alexandre, thanks for that! Honestly, I did wonder whether I want to spread the word on this. It is pretty devestating. But the reality is that the kids should know, and I think that many outside of Silicon Valley and other tech hotbeds don't have a clue. They don't get the newspaper headlines we do and aren't surrounded by unemployeed engineers and programmers. At Berkeley lasy year intro computer science classes dropped off by half, and these are the guys most likely to get the higher end jobs that will still be in the US. And Alexandre, the ibanks are sending their number crunching to India, too these days. 60 Minutes repeated a top line story on this last night. Thet talked about the IT jobs, call centers, radiologists (all scans at Mass General now sent to India), tax preparers, Wall Street....Then they showed roomfuls of bright, busytailed Indian youth learning to recognize English that is not the Queens! Pretty funny only it isn't.

By Mikemac (Mikemac) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 01:41 pm: Edit

The Gartner Group, an industry analysis firm for hi tech, predicts 1/4 of all IT jobs will be offshore by 2010. They note "An entry-level programmer right out of college in the United States can expect to earn between $50,000 and $60,000 a year. In China, the salary for that same type of worker would be $5,000 to $6,000. In India, she would earn $8,000 to $10,000."

A recent article in the Christian Science Monitor points out exactly what Alexandre is saying about engineers having to find work in other fields. "Paul Porter is closing the door on his engineering career - even though he's only 29. I spent seven years in school, and it resulted in a six-year career," says Mr. Porter, who feels his master's degree in engineering is little more than "a base." See http://www.csmonitor.com/2002/1226/p02s01-usec.html

As for Boomer01 and his blind faith "there will be plenty of jobs", I think Upton Sinclair put it best. He quipped "It's impossible to make a man understand something when his livelihood depends on him not understanding it."

By Dstark (Dstark) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 01:48 pm: Edit

Are wages for IT increasing in India and China? A venture capitalist told me they are starting to increase there at a fairly rapid clip.

By Boomer01 (Boomer01) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 10:36 pm: Edit

*sarcasm* Gee....Since there wouldn't be any more jobs for engineers in the US,... It's better for all engineers in the US to move to overseas...anyways people in the US shouldn't become a engineer because we got the cheap labor from India and China... We will not need anymore engineers.... What's the point of becoming a engineer if there wouldn't other jobs for them to pursue as pointed out by mom101...Only graduates of MIT will get the lucrative job.*end of sarcasm*
"the ibanks are sending their number crunching to India, too these days. 60 Minutes repeated a top line story on this last night. Thet talked about the IT jobs, call centers, radiologists (all scans at Mass General now sent to India), tax preparers, Wall Street...."

By Mom101 (Mom101) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 10:54 pm: Edit

Boomer, you and all of the college bound should follow your hearts and pursue your passions. For my own kids, I want them to know the realities and consider them when making their decisions.

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 12:41 am: Edit

Boomer, we are not criticizing you. I think we all agree that Engineering is a great field of study and a great launching pad to a career in whatever field you wish to pursue. I am also pretty sure we all encourage you and hope for the best. We are merely bringing up a realisty. Personally, if I had the technical ability, I would have majored in Engineering and then gone to IBanking. The analytical and quantitative skills of an Engineer are in incredible demand, no matter which industry you enter. All we are saying Boomer is that there will be a lot of competition for Engineering jobs (not Engineers mind you, since Engineers can do anything with theyir education) in the US in the future.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page