Biomedical Engineering

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Biomedical Engineering
By Benndamann33 (Benndamann33) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 07:20 pm: Edit

I know Johns Hopkins, but other then that, what are some good schools for biomedical engineering.

I really like Rose-Hulman and Case Western...are they good for biomedical engineering?

By Ay_Caramba (Ay_Caramba) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 07:42 pm: Edit

Duke is very good. Ranked #2 for undergrad

By Mom101 (Mom101) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 07:55 pm: Edit

UCSD is making an incredible investment in this area and San Diego has many biotech companies for internships. I don't generally favor UCs, but in this case I do.

By Benndamann33 (Benndamann33) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 09:12 pm: Edit

Thanks guys - anyone know about Rose-Hulman and Case-Western, i have a 1490 sats, 780 math, 710 verbal, and then on SAT II's 690 writing, 700 chemistry, 780 Math IC...so i don't think that A) i'd get in duke and B) i could ever afford duke, but thank you. I am 3/270 in my class by the way. 4.5 gpa. So would case and rose-hulman be good schools in this area or not really

By Dreadpirate (Dreadpirate) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 09:28 pm: Edit

Case Western's bioengineering is excellent. If you can bump your SAT 1 a mere 10 points, you will qualify for some serious merit aid. Also, take a look at Rice. The tuition is about 10k less than Case and Duke, and the bioengineering program is undergraduate oriented.

By Bettina (Bettina) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 09:55 pm: Edit

"If you can bump your SAT 1 a mere 10 points..."

I am very interested in your source for this info (since it matches my dd's SAT). She was not planning to retake a SAT with such a high percentile, and I'm flabbergasted that a 10 point diff--virtually the same, would make any difference in merit aid.

OTOH, I think she may not be very interested in colleges who differentiate between 1490 and 1500, really. Worth thinking about.

By Dreadpirate (Dreadpirate) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 10:02 pm: Edit

I believe that the requirement for a Trustees merit scholarship at Case is 1500 and top 5%. You probably can find info at the Case web site under merit aid. The Trustees scholarship is worth about 22k per year. The next category down is the President's Scholarship--a little less but still substantial.

By Bioeng (Bioeng) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 05:55 am: Edit

Don't forget to look into UPenn. Its BME is ranked 5th and they have a new BE building ready in 2005. Their program tends to be more well-rounded and balanced. As a result, they have a very good placement rate into both grad. schools and the job market. As a matter of fact, their eng. graduates have some of the highest starting salaries historically. Additionally, opportunities for double majors and joint degree (even with Wharton) are plentiful.

By Alan5 (Alan5) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 11:43 pm: Edit

Boston University

By Hopkinslax (Hopkinslax) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 12:09 am: Edit

I will be majoring in Biomed and some schools I will be applying to are:
Case (EA)- Top 5
BU - Top 10
Rensselaer - Top 20
RIT (Elect. Eng. w/ Biomed. Opt.) - Top 5 in Elect.
JHU - Top 5 but probably won't get in

<Edit> UPenn has a top 5 biomed program?
I thought it went JHU, Duke, UCSD, Case, MIT

By Benndamann33 (Benndamann33) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 01:27 am: Edit

I have no doubt UPENN has great programs...across the board. Unfortunately, UPENN is way out of my price range. So is Rose-Hulman I suppose, but one can dream. My only hope is scholarship at Case, but it is a great school. Thanks for all of you for suggestions

By Over30 (Over30) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 01:39 am: Edit

RPI also gives great scholarships.

By Benndamann33 (Benndamann33) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 01:51 am: Edit

bump

By Bioeng (Bioeng) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 01:51 am: Edit

Sorry guys. UPenn was ranked 5th in the old ranking. I think this year it has been overtaken by Case and now ranks 6th. Now with the new bioengineering building and facilities, the ranking might improve again. In any case, it is definitely in the top 10.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page