Art Major

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Art Major
By Mr_X (Mr_X) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 08:17 pm: Edit

I've decided to major in art in UCR, however i would like to transfer out to a different UC. does anyone know which UC has the best program for Art? What about Cal Poly? Thanks.

By Taxguy (Taxguy) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 08:57 pm: Edit

I believe UCLA.

By Collegebound05 (Collegebound05) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 08:58 pm: Edit

UCLA is good for art

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 09:16 pm: Edit

I third that. UCLA.

By Liek0806 (Liek0806) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 09:30 pm: Edit

cal poly san luis obispo

By Taxguy (Taxguy) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 09:41 pm: Edit

However, better than UCLA and Cal Poly is California Institute of the Arts, which is a private college. They are rated overall number 4 in the US in art. In multimedia and visual communication they are number 1 in the US, and number 8 in photography, and number 10 in sculpture. This is all based on graduate art rating in US News and World Report.

Just for the record, Cal Poly isn't rated in the top 50.

UCLA is rated overall number 6 in the country. They are number 4 in multimedia and visual commuincation, number 3 in painting and drawing, number 9 in photography, and number 4 in sculpture.

Other top ranked west coast art school are: Art Center College of Design, ranked equal to UCLA, and California Institute of the Arts,,which is ranked in top 10 in both sculpture and photography, and California College of Arts and Crafts, which has a top 4 ranking in Ceremaics only.

Most of the rest of the top ranked art schools are on the east coast,with the one exceptions of School of Art Institute of Chicago and the Cleveland Institute of Art.

I won't get into top ranked east coast school because you didn't seem to want this info.

Hope this all helps.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 10:47 am: Edit

Cal Poly's strength is in its graphic design program. It is one of the top undergrad programs in the country for graphic design (not fine arts). It's a very good program but very selective as well. If you're not interested in graphic design, however, there are better choices. In addition to those already mentioned, these UC's also have strong art programs: Davis, Santa Cruz, Irvine and Santa Barbara.

By Mr_X (Mr_X) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 03:25 pm: Edit

thanks people :) :) :)

By Norcalmom (Norcalmom) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 04:19 pm: Edit

My daughter is a studio arts major and a junior at USC. I know, USC is a private school. I have to tell you, she researched extensively, visited and interviewed before making her decision. She was also looking for a 4-year university with a strong academic reputation and wanted to stay on the West Coast. She will be studying in Florence, Italy for the Fall Semester.

You need to have an understanding of what you are looking for in an art program before you can make a decision. For instance, Cal Arts with strengths in sculpture, multimedia and animation is an excellent program in those areas, but not in what my daughter was looking for. The Art Institute, Academy of Art, and College of Arts and Crafts in the S.F. area are also great colleges, but are not comprehensive universities.

Cal Poly was never a consideration. My niece attends there and it isn't known for studio art. Someone here says it has a strong graphic design program--I don't know about that, but that wasn't what she was looking for either.

My daughter is talented in painting and drawing. She loves representational art, like the works of the masters, but also likes surrealism. She has already completed portraits by commission. Careerwise, she isn't sure what she will do with her talent, but is interested in illustration, portraiture, theatre scenery creation, and art restoration, as well as just producing art for exhibit and sale.

UCLA was a consideration, but UCLA's program is concept-driven rather than technique-driven. USC's program is technique-driven. My daughter preferred the latter. BTW, technique-driven programs are much harder to find. Her safety school was UC-Davis, whose program looked strong, but the Dean who met with her seemed unsure how to explain their art instruction philosophy, which wasn't impressive.

I don't know much about their program, but you might also want to check out CSU Long Beach. One of the Vals from our local class of 2004 will be attending there as a studio arts major in Sept. I was surprised because I grew up in L.B. and had never heard anything about their art program. It is probably worth looking into.

BTW, my daughter plans to continue on to grad school in art or an Atelier program. This time she wants to go to the East Coast, but hasn't seriously started looking yet.

By Blackbryony (Blackbryony) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 07:43 pm: Edit

I've heard several times that UCLA's art is "conceptual"... forgive my ignorance, but what exactly does this mean? (Especially concept-driven as opposed to technique-driven..)

By Norcalmom (Norcalmom) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 09:50 pm: Edit

Technique-driven means that time is spent on actual skill-building or technique. It isn't a "canned" or "assemblyline" approach, but rather builds on the natural skill the student already has and makes suggestions as to how to improve the "technique." Time is spent on the chemistry of the materials used, how they work together, etc. Many levels of figure drawing are taught. Projects are assigned that hope to see that a student has acquired a certain skill.

In a concept-driven approach, the student is allowed to just create according to their abilities. It is more of an anything goes approach--the final product is judged--but not much input is given as to improving the final product. Understand this is the studio arts program--graphic design is probably a lot different.

One approach is not necessarily better than the other, it just depends on what the student is looking for in a program.

By Mr_X (Mr_X) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 03:09 am: Edit

i like the sound of the techniqu-driven approach. :) thanks all, this is really helpful.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page