COOPER UNION???

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: COOPER UNION???
By Casablanca (Casablanca) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 07:45 pm: Edit

The school is free which is definately a bonus. Other than that I don't know much.
I'm interested in the school of engineering. Is this a prestigious enginnering school? How hard is it to get it? How's the workload?

If you have any info please post it.

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 07:48 pm: Edit

Cooper Union is awesome in Engineering. It is highly respected. But it has limited offerings. In terms of selectivity, well, it is almost as difficult to get into as MIT. 14% accepted, mean SAT is over 1400 and close to 100% are ranked in the top 10% of their high school class.

By Sammywu (Sammywu) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 11:23 pm: Edit

it is super samll
don't expect to have a social life
the school is in debt

but overall it is a GREAT school in engineering

it is FREE :)

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 10:42 am: Edit

Actually, it's not entirely free. There are some fees you have to pay (which seem to be going up due to Cooper's financial problems) and, of course, you have to find affordable housing in one of the world's most expensive cities because Cooper doesn't have much in the way of student housing. Still a great deal if you can get in, however.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 10:45 am: Edit

By the way, if you're attracted to Cooper Union because of its cost, you might take a look at Olin in Mass. www.olin.edu Another very good engineering school with free tuition. Although it's a new school, it's been getting positive reviews.

By Toblin (Toblin) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 11:29 am: Edit

CU costs about $20K a year to attend even with the 'free' tuition. R&B is very pricey (you're living in downtown Manhattan remember) books and fees are also way up there. I got this from the website. But CU is a great school for engineering. Grads are sought after.

By Shadow_Wolf (Shadow_Wolf) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 01:51 am: Edit

I'm a bit biased because I'm going to be a freshman at Cooper in the fall...but the stories of Cooper "going downhill" are greatly exaggerated. One thing that will keep Cooper afloat is the fact that Cooper has an agreement with the city of New York that any property taxes (on land that is owned by Cooper) will go directly back to Cooper Union. This is used to generate income because any company that rents land for Cooper pays property taxes which essentially go directly to Cooper Union. This was designed to protect Cooper in times of depression (when property taxes would go up). There are others like Alum donations etc., but this was the example that my prof wanted to emphasize. Although it is expensive to live in the dorm ($9000 for a double, $10000 for a single not including living expenses, books, etc. it won't cost anywhere near $20000 unless you're really irresponsible with your money. And if you're really sure you want to go into engineering/art/architecture then Cooper is really great and a lot cheaper than many many many LACs and Ivies...its even cheaper than most state schools if you don't have any scholarships (my state school costs around $16000 and this is not including books, student services etc. either).

It's reputed to be very difficult to get in, but you have to remember that the 13% acceptance rate comes from combining the 3 schools. The engineering school takes about 200 students while the other two schools take less than 50 each...give or take a dozen (go to their website to check the #s...I dont remember). I think the acceptance rate for the eng. school is 25%?

The workload I hear is pretty heavy..I know that I have to take 19.5 credits my first semester...because I'm an EE major I'm going to be taking 6 classes first and second semester(other majors take 11 their first year). I"m taking a summer course right now (which I highly recommend by the way to knock off one course in your frosh year), the profs are beyond nice and they are really approachable. If you're looking for a small, good engineering school, and if you like the city, then Cooper would be a good place for you. It doesn't have much in the way of a traditional campus (but neither does NYU and thats one of the most popular universities in America judging by the # of applications) but its in the East Village surrounded by great food and entertainment. You should go to an orientation to check out the school's location and faculty, you may like it, you may not....thats how it is everywhere....I hope this helped...if you have any more questions I'll do my best to answer them...sorry about the long post.

By Casablanca (Casablanca) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 10:22 am: Edit

Everybody thanks for the info.
Shadow Wolf if you don't mind, can you post your stats? Also, what other college were you looking at? Thanks.

I figure the $20,000 figure wouldn't hold since I live in NYC.

By Toblin (Toblin) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 10:59 am: Edit

Casablanca, Living in NYC will save you a ton. Here the breakdown from CU website.

"Cooper Union students are responsible for living and miscellaneous expenses. These include mandatory student fees (totaling $1,400 per year), room and board (about $13,000 per year), books and supplies (about $1,000-1,800 per year), and general living expenses (about $2,300 per year), totaling approximately $18,000 per year. International students are assessed a $1,500/year filing fee. All students must prove medical insurance coverage or participate in our medical insurance plan for a health services fee of $1,445/year."

By Shadow_Wolf (Shadow_Wolf) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 12:58 pm: Edit

Casablanca:
My stats were:
1510 SAT combined (770V 740M)
800 Writing, 780 Math IIC, 690 Chemistry
223 PSAT (N. M. Finalist)

The other colleges I was looking at: (but wasn't accepted to): MIT
Thoe other colleges that I was accepted to: Rutgers, Penn State, NYU, TCNJ. (Yeah, my school list doesn't look very impressive because my parents made me apply to a bunch of medical programs so all the colleges listed here, except rutgers, didn't accept me into their programs but instead offered me a place in their honors colleges...which I didn't want to go to. I applied to Cooper (and MIT) because it was sorta a dream of mine to become an engineer (I love building things)so I was ecstatic when I was rejected from the med programs and accepted into Cooper =)) Although I would've given a good long look at MIT if I got in cuz a really good friend of mine is going to MIT and it would've been fun dorming together. Well, thats it for my stats and colleges (unless you'd like to see my ECs but they're not incredible), and my long-ass explanation of my college list.

By Casablanca (Casablanca) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 10:59 am: Edit

Is it true that Cooper Union students have no time to have fun? I'm interested in Coooper and in engineering, but I'm not interested in sitting home every weekend. I'm a club/party person and although education is more important, I want to have a life! Any input?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page