Quirky College List

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Quirky College List
By Destinypath (Destinypath) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 11:10 am: Edit

I'd appreciate your input for a list here of colleges that are "out of the norm", have unique programs or styles of education. Please give the college name, then tell why it's unusual.

By Pattykk (Pattykk) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 11:25 am: Edit

Deep Springs-accepts fewer than thirty men, free tuition, rugged "in the desert" experience and rigorous academics.

Warren Wilson-all the students do labor as well as academic work, sort of a communal place in the mountains of North Carolina.

St. John's in Annapolis and Santa Fe, Thomas Aquinas College and tiny Shimer College in Waukegan, IL-follow a "Great Books" curriculum

Sarah Lawrence--very creative student body, uses small seminar approach to instruction

University of Chicago and Columbia College-have a core curriculum approach.

These are just off the top of my head. I am sure the rest of the board will have many others.

By Asianalto (Asianalto) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 12:09 pm: Edit

Hampshire college- students design their own majors

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 01:03 pm: Edit

Bennington - Very artsy and creative course offerings. Lots of academic flexibility.

Earlham College - Quaker school that really stresses faculty-student relationships and cooperation. Interesting programs in Peace Studies and Human Development.

Kalamazoo College - Offers the "K" plan that requires students to do internships, independent research and study abroad.

Colorado College - Unique schedule. Students take just one class every 3 and a half weeks.

Evergreen College - Lacks grades, majors and departments. Instead students take an integrated course of study depending on their interests and goals.

New College of Florida - Similar to Evergreen - no grades, no required courses, lots of academic freedom.

The Claremont Colleges - five small schools located next to each other in Calif. Styled after the Oxford University system - each school has a "specialty" and students are able to take courses at all of the other schools in the consortium. The benefits of a small school with the academic opportunities of a larger university.

Antioch College - Has a co-op program whre students spend much fo their time out in the "real world" Attracts very independent and original students.

By Thekev (Thekev) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 11:13 pm: Edit

St. John's in Annapolis and Santa Fe- curriculum is based on the great books

Brown, Wesleyan-have no distributional requirements, non-comformist students abounds

NCF-no grades but written narratives

Colorado College-based on 2week block system if I'm not mistaken

By Lucifersam (Lucifersam) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 11:35 pm: Edit

Berea, in eastern Kentucky - Nice but not stellar education, but tuition is free, and it is free because you get jobs there doing strange things like making brooms. Or something like that.

By 5st (5st) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 01:32 pm: Edit

SUNY-Environmental Science and Forestry: This campus specializes in environmental sciences, environmental engineering, and forestry, and the use of forest products (paper science/engineering and wood products engineering). The campus is small (1200 undergrads), but students have access to classes and facilities (including student tickets to sporting events) at Syracuse University, right across the street.

By Blaineko (Blaineko) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 02:04 pm: Edit

Grinnell & Amherst...

No Core requirements except for a first-year seminar.

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 02:12 pm: Edit

Reed College
only nuclear reactor staffed by virtually all undergrads in country. Core curriculum requirements and grade deflation Every senior writes and publishes thesis.( which is kept forever more in thesis tower)

By Admissionsrep (Admissionsrep) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 01:45 am: Edit

I agree with many of the entries here. I came on here to say:

Deep Springs
Hampshire
Sarah Lawrence
St. John's
Reed
Guilford-very liberal and carefree for a school in the south.
Bard-extremely artsy, some cross dressing ritual that I'm told is an annual event here. I'd like a confirmation on this one.

Most of the schools I came here to list have already been listed.

By Bettina (Bettina) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 01:50 am: Edit

Why is Sarah L and Reed on your list as unusual?

By Prima_Donna (Prima_Donna) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 06:28 pm: Edit

Sarah Lawrence has no majors and no finals.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page