Canadian colleges

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Canadian colleges
By Boomer01 (Boomer01) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 06:04 am: Edit

does anyone have any information/experiences regarding canadian universities? I am interested in
University of british columbia
Mcgill
University of toronto

By Boomer01 (Boomer01) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 09:05 am: Edit

bumpalicious

By Geodude666 (Geodude666) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 09:44 am: Edit

Well, they're all very good universities, and not very hard to get in to for an international student because they need the large sums of money that internationals bring. What programs areyou interested in? Because there are better universities in canada than those three for specific programs.

By Boomer01 (Boomer01) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 12:49 pm: Edit

thanks man, I am looking at business and engineering programs. What kind of stats do you need to get in the school?

By Admissionsrep (Admissionsrep) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 01:01 pm: Edit

If you are looking for engineering schools you need to start with the University of Waterloo. It is a phenomenal school that has been rated the top school in Ontaro for the last three years.

My brother and my sister both graduated from Waterloo. They have a co-op schooling system that is very similar to Drexel's engineering, but it attracts a stronger student than Drexel.

If you want Engineering, Waterloo is a no brainer.

By Geodude666 (Geodude666) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 01:12 pm: Edit

For engineering programs, i would recommend the university of waterloo which has awesome programs in computer science and math. They also have a new program in which you can get a honours bachelors degree in comp sci from waterloo and a honours bachelors degree in business from wilfred laurier university (just down the street) AND co-op all in 4 years. However, the business degree is not all that great, and competition for admissions for the program is as fierce as admissions at some of the top american schools. Average gpa's needed are mid 90's. If you want a good business education, try york university's shulich school of business, argueably the best business school in canada. The school has a very good undergrad program, but also requires average marks to be mid-90's, you can check the websites, but the engineering program is not very good. If you're heavily into engineering, try waterloo. If you're heavily into business, try york. However, if you want the best of both world, toronto, and to a lesser extent mcgill and UBC are all very good choices.

By Boomer01 (Boomer01) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 01:18 pm: Edit

How is the student life in canada? Is it similar to the US?

By Geodude666 (Geodude666) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 01:19 pm: Edit

depends on the university, anything specific that you're concerned about?

By Boomer01 (Boomer01) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 01:26 pm: Edit

are canadian degrees recognized in America? Can I get a job in the US, or be admitted to a american graduate school if I have a degree from a canadian university?

By Geodude666 (Geodude666) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 01:30 pm: Edit

of course to all of those questions. And credits from canadian schools are generally easier to transfer to american schools than the other way around.

By Harpgirl27 (Harpgirl27) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 08:37 pm: Edit

All three you named are very large schools, and I'd say that you'd get a great education at each one. I recently made a similar decision and will try and summarize the high/low points of each:

UBC: GOREGOUS campus, set right on the ocean. A top notch school, however, it doesn't have the prestige of the other two. It's an up-and-coming school, growing and diversifying. It's business program is excellent. Seems more laid back than the east coast schools in some regards. I've heard about problems with drugs, as well as it being called "The UNiversity of a billion chicks". whether this is a plus or negative, I don't know ;)

U of T: Probably academically the strongest school, narrowly edging out McGill in most fields. Didn't score too well on Princeton Review, yet most of the students I've talked to seem to be happy. I know the least about this school, as I didn't really look into it (I was at the time really interested in the music program, and the harp teacher here was WAY out of my league).

McGill: Ultimately, this was the school I chose. While it may not be regarded in canada as being the strongest, it has a very prestigious internation (read=USA) reputation, which I'm sure will help. It's set right in the middle of Montreal--very urban location, but Montreal is a cool city. The University has been hit by budget cuts that have resulted in very large class sizes (though no bigger than say, UofT for undergrad). The administration is reputed as being a long line of red tape, but so far I haven't had many problems. We'll see what happens when registration hits...haha. While it probably isn't anywhere equal to Harvard, it's academically a very good school. Has special strengths in the sciences and med. departments. What I've seen of the campus is pretty, though in an east-coast sort of way (old buildings, can be a little run down). I dunno...I liked it. Really the big draw for McGill over U of T is it's unique location in Montreal, plus it's stellar international reputation.

As for getting a job, I wouldn't worry about that. So far as I've talked to people, grads of top canadian Universities seem to do fine in the US as far as employment goes. Most educated people, like your future bosses, will recognize the top universities in Canada.

By Mike555 (Mike555) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 09:16 pm: Edit

Hello, all 3 are great schools but I don't know too much about McGill/UBC because I live in Ontario. It all depends on what program you want to get in to.

The University of Toronto has been ranked #1 in Canada by McLean's for 10 consecutive years, before that it was McGill. Currently McGill is #2.

Engineering Science at UofT is the toughest program to get through and to get in to from what my friends at UofT and Waterloo tell me. The average entering grade is mid 90's. They want extra-currics and competition results. This is most likely the most difficult program to get in to in Canada, and also to graduate from. Elec/Comp engineering is about the same between UofT/Waterloo. I've only seen two rankings of north american engineering programs and one was the gourman's report, can't find the other one... they both ranked UofT very high.

http://www.2ontario.com/welcome/ooed_602.asp
Top 10 Engineering
7. Toronto
8. McMaster

Top 10 E.E.
4. Toronto
6. UBC
7. McMaster

Top 10 Chem E.
6. Toronto
10. McMaster

Top 10 Civil E.
4. Toronto
7. McMaster

Top 10 Eng Physics
3. Queens
4. McMaster

The other ranking I can't find, but it ranked UofT's eng sci program to be #3 in north america.

Waterloo/UofT are the best schools for engineering in Canada.

---

For mathematics, if you're interested in the Putnam (Began in the US) here are the number of times each university has held the #1 position from 1938 to 2003:
http://www.maa.org/awards/putnam.html

Harvard - 24
CalTech - 9
Toronto - 4 (Canada)
MIT - 4
Michigan State - 3
Washington St Louis - 3
Duke - 3
Brooklyn - 3
Polytechnic of Brooklyn - 2
Waterloo - 2 (Canada)
Cornell - 2
Case Western - 1
Chicago - 1
Berkley - 1
Queens - 1 (Canada)
California Davis - 1

"The competition began in 1938 and is designed to stimulate a healthful rivalry in mathematical studies in the colleges and universities of the United States and Canada. It exists because Mr. William Lowell Putnam had a profound conviction in the value of organized team competition in regular college studies. Mr. Putnam, a member of the Harvard class of 1882"

I read somewhere that Waterloo has the largest math faculty in the world. So look in to UofT/Waterloo for math.

---

Here is the only detailed world ranking I could find: (Also the #1 hit on google if you search: top universities in the world)

http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/ranking.htm

#1 Harvard
#21 UM - Ann Arbor
#22 UW - St Luois
#23 Toronto <--
#24 John Hopkins
#26 UCSB
#27 UW - Madison
#35 UBC <--
#79 McGill <--
#86 McMaster <--

these are the ones that appear in the top 100. This ranking was funded by the richest man in China and done by a top 5 university there. It takes in to account Nobel scores, publications, faculty performance and a few other things. It is a ranking of the university as a whole, so universities that specialize only in engineering tend to suffer.

---

Financial Times MBA ranking (London)

http://rankings.ft.com/rankings/mba/rankings.html,http://rankings.ft.com/rankings/mba/rankings.html

#1 Warton
#20 Duke
#21 Toronto <--
#22 York <--
#22 Berkeley
#29 Western, Ivey <--
#30 Michigan

Undergrad for business is a tricky area because most business schools aren't affiliated with the undergrad program. Many people who go in to an MBA haven't even done undergrad business. I remember harvard's business school only had 20% incoming students who were business majors.

---

In summary...

For undergrad programs:
Arts - Queens
Pre-med - McMaster/McGill
Sciences - Toronto
Math - Waterloo/Toronto
Engineering - Waterloo/Toronto
Commerce/BBA - Queens, York, Toronto, McGill...
International rep - McGill / Toronto / UBC / Waterloo / Queens... probably something of this order.

---

And comments about individual schools / connections to top US schools through presidency:

McGill - most international reputation, good for everything. Someone who did undergrad here went on to become UM-Ann arbor and Princeton's president.

Toronto - most heavily funded, most research grants, good for everything. Previous UofT pres did undergrad here and is now UC Berkeley's president.

Waterloo - good for engineering/math/accounting

UBC - good for everything

Queens - selective university. Princeton's current president did undergrad here.

By Ali_Liu (Ali_Liu) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 10:35 pm: Edit

Come to UBC!!! I live very close to campus. Vancouver's beautiful! UBC is quite prestigious in Canada(more than McGill) =)

By Boomer01 (Boomer01) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 01:23 am: Edit

Hey thanks to all. I have a another question regarding admissions. Is the admission process similar to american colleges i.e. that they look at the GPA, SAT scores, recommedndations, strength of the curiculum and extra curiculars? Is there anything else necessary?
It seems that cost of education in Canada is a real bargain compared to USA.

By Jrcho88 (Jrcho88) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 03:07 am: Edit

As far as I know, Canadian universities allocate very little, if any, weight on extra curricular activities. They simply look at your GPA, recommendations and SAT scores if you're an American applicant; just as you mentioned.

For engineering, you cannot leave out University of Western Ontario. I think they are the best unviersity in Canada for engineering.

By Harpgirl27 (Harpgirl27) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 12:06 pm: Edit

for the McGill and UBC applications, all i had to do was send test scores and my transcript. They didn't even ask about comm. service/ECs, an essay, or anything like that. Granted, at McGill, if you want to apply for a merit scholarship, you must submit this stuff, and some individual departments may have more required than the rest of the school, it's an easy easy app.

I disagree with Ali Liu that UBC is more prestigious than McGill in Canada...not by any Canadian I've talked to, and MaCleans seems to think otherwise as well. However UBC, as I mentioned, is growing in it's reputation and is a fine, fine university and not far behind McGill

By Harpgirl27 (Harpgirl27) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 12:08 pm: Edit

though Boomer, it would help us if you could give us some stats? I'm assuming you're American...so GPA, SAT/ACTs, APs, etc would be good. Also what you personally prefer in a university--small/large, rural/urban east coast/west coast, etc.

By Mike555 (Mike555) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 01:42 pm: Edit

UBC is known on the west coast but not so much in Ontario where most of the population is. I personally look to McLeans for accurate reference because they take the time to do the research such as average entrance grades, and UBC has always been ranked #2 or #3, McGill recently moved ahead of UBC in McLeans to #2 overall, but before that UBC was ahead of McGill.

By Ledyana (Ledyana) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 08:18 pm: Edit

is there any university in canada with a strong economics department that is easy to get into? thanks

3.2 GPA with a low 1200 on sat

By Boomer01 (Boomer01) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 10:52 pm: Edit

Harpgirl27,
I am mainly looking at U of Toronto and UBC as my relatives live there. These are my stats:
SATs -1300
GPA- ~3.5-3.6 uw
Will finish with 6 APs ..
I like a big university with school spirit and good academics. I am leaning towards engineering.
BTW- I lived in America but now live Overseas and I am not a American citizen.

By Harpgirl27 (Harpgirl27) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 12:00 am: Edit

If I were you I'd go for UBC ;) gorgeous campus, good school spirit (from what I could tell), good fit academically for you. Plus it's right on the ocean!

By Geodude666 (Geodude666) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 08:27 am: Edit

i used to live in vancouver and i remember this one time i was taking a walk through the woods around UBC near dusk and stumbled upon a nude beach. seriously.

By Harpgirl27 (Harpgirl27) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 12:32 pm: Edit

I knew there's a "clothing optional" beach on campus

but the people who go there say that it's more full of nasty old men than.....people you'd actually WANT to see at a nude beach ;)

By Avinash_Agrawal (Avinash_Agrawal) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 12:50 pm: Edit

hey...im an international student...
how much would all these uni's cost approximately...n do they provide financial aid to international students??? if yes, the how esay or difficult is it to get aid n what factors do they consider for that?
Thanx

By Matth (Matth) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 02:08 pm: Edit

You'd have to check each school you're interested in for international student fees, they vary. And no, there's no aid for international students at Canadian colleges.

By Geodude666 (Geodude666) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 02:59 pm: Edit

there are scholarships though, and UBC has afew big ones specifically for internationals.

and yeah, all the nude people were hairy men and they were siting around a bonfire... pretty nasty

By Nabiilah (Nabiilah) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 03:27 pm: Edit

Hi.

This will seem almost ridiculous, u are all talking abt really elile unis.

When I applied to canada, I did so only on second thought, I wanted to go to UK or anywhere, but they're too expensive.

I want to do a BENG Electrical, and I got admitted to Carleton University in ottawa, which I already accepted, im going this september.

Is is a good uni? It wont rank up to U ot T or U wloo, but still, is it worth it? Is it Ok? I did A-levels and got 3As, u think i can transfer later if i dont like carleton?

Thank you.

By Geodude666 (Geodude666) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 03:42 pm: Edit

Carleton isn't bad, although it's engineering department isn't as well known as UT, waterloo, etc. I think you'll be fine, and you can definetly transfer later.

By Ali_Liu (Ali_Liu) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 09:24 pm: Edit

Concerning the "nude" beach on UBC campus: It is called "Wreck beach" by the vancouver ppl...lol. On my first day in Vancouver, my family decided to go to a beach near the beautiful UBC campus to relax...we went down a STEEP slope...i looked around for a place to sit and there were NAKED ppl everywhere! Yeah, my family practically ran back up the SUPER steep slope....enuff of my story..lol=)

By Xjarx (Xjarx) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 03:18 am: Edit

Eh anyone heard of Uni Manitoba?

Which Canadian Unis are strong in Marketing?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page