ANY good engineering school that accepts GPA 2.7

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: ANY good engineering school that accepts GPA 2.7
By Mwamwa (Mwamwa) on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 11:12 am: Edit

DEFINITELY not mit, cal-tech

my gpa is low 2.7..-_-
SAT: V.600 M. 750,,, gona take SAT II writing, math IIC and another SAT in october

AP Bio: 3

aHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! by the end of my senior year, I'll be done with all the science subjects in my school..

People are keep suggesting for community college.. but I DON"T WANA GO THERE !!!!!!!!!!!!

Good location wuld be, Pennsylvania, Georgia, NY, mostly on east side

i also consider for Canadian colleges...
by the way, im an international student

By Dadofsam (Dadofsam) on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 12:28 pm: Edit

The good news is that many schools that are not highly "ranked" have good engineering programs. However, one question that will be asked is whether, with a 2.7 GPA, you are ready to handle college-level work.

Look at schools such as University of Georgia, University of Pittsburgh, University of Hartford (CT), Villanova.

By Mwamwa (Mwamwa) on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 01:48 am: Edit

how about Virginia Tech or Georgia tech???
are they still reach???
i woud prefer state schools because its cheaper...

By Baltodad (Baltodad) on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 10:23 am: Edit

"how about Virginia Tech or Georgia tech???"

Don't think so, but you never know. Your Math SAT is obviously your strong point. If you don't have any impressive ECs, work on that immediately and concentrate on one thing. Take the ACT as well to see if you score better on it (there are SAT/ACT conversion tables). Do as well as humanly possible on your grades next Fall.

Most (if not all) "flagship" state universities have an engineering department. Get the U.S. News ranking of undergrad engineering schools and look for the less selective universities. You aren't going to get into Berkley, Michigan, or UVA... so don't bother applying. But there are lots of state universities with good engineering that you'd stand a decent chance with.

By Mwamwa (Mwamwa) on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 10:34 am: Edit

i need to research some colleges over the summer but most of the ones that i want to go are very reach,,, ALL require over 3.0
and those require under 3.0 aren't that attractive, and i dont really like it...

it's so troublesome to find right colleges for me...HELLLLLLP!

By Takanawajoe (Takanawajoe) on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 11:14 am: Edit

Rensselaer Poly (RPI) in Troy NY.

If your GPA was improving (my 1st year was a mess, my junior year was 3.5+) and with a 1350 SAT, you are in. I just got back from SO and I am ready to go.

By Mwamwa (Mwamwa) on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 11:39 am: Edit

yea true Takanwaajoe,,,,
I screwed up my freshman year gpa,,, it was around 2.1 ~ 2.2
but then my sophomore year got improved:
2.8, 2.9
My junior year: 3.0, 3.26

my gpa was improving.. but freshman year still hurts me...

By Baltodad (Baltodad) on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 02:05 pm: Edit

That's a good sign. Some colleges don't even count freshman year grades.

If you want Mid-Atlantic area public universities, try U of MD-Baltimore County, West Virginia, and U of Delaware. Penn State's more of a reach, but go ahead and reach.

Farther south, try NC State and Clemson. (My son will be going to Clemson, picking it over several "higher status" schools. Nice place; engineering is very big.)

By Lenk58 (Lenk58) on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 04:27 pm: Edit

I don't think that Villanova or RPI are within reach. The avg GPA at Villanova is a 3.6. They didn't have to go into their waitlist. You really should look at Drexel which has a fine program, in fact one of the largest in the nation. You also should look at the Univ of Hartford. They are spending a lot of $ on new engineering facilities and their program is on the rise.

By Alan5 (Alan5) on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 04:59 pm: Edit

Altough Lenk will try to dissuade you, check out Northeastern in Boston. It has the top internship program in the country, amazing facilities, and a top sixty engineering program. Getting in may be some difficuly though since NEU recieved about 25,000 applications this year for 2800 spots in the frosh class (compared to Lenk's school, Villanova, which recieves less than 10,000 applications per year, has a lower yield rate, and a higher acceptance rate). It also funny how Lenk could prasie a school like Hartford when he puts down good schools like Northeastern which has students with SATs that are 200 points higher. According to the Princeton Review, the average SAT at Hartford is only 1040. This only proves that Lenk is clueless.

By Lenk58 (Lenk58) on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 07:03 pm: Edit

alan NEU had to go into it's waitlist Villanova didn't./ NEU is also a tier 3 school ranked by uS NEWS. There really isn't much comparison between the 2. You should look at NEU, Drexel and Hartford.

By Alan5 (Alan5) on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 10:18 pm: Edit

There goes Lenk with the same tired comments again "tier 3" and "waitlist." He sounds like a broken record. For god sakes man, turn the record over. I already said that the new stats clearly show that Northeatern is a tier II school. This upgrade is already reflected in the new Barrons Guide which upgraded NEU to the "Highly Competitive" category of schools. Just wait until the new U.S. News rankings come out next month. You will have to come up with something new to say--Lol!

Its also funny how you ignore the fact that NEU has a higher yield rate and lower acceptance rate than Villanova. NEU also gets more than twice the number of applicants. Then there is Northeastern's #1 internship program and location--you are right, there is no comparison. But maybe you are really a Northeastern reject and go to Hartford (promoting a school with 1040 SATs and bashing a school with SATs in the 1200s--talk about losing credibility). I can see why NEU rejected you.

You will probably come back with your usual rehearsed garbage that "NEU is a Tier 3 school that had to go deep into its wait list" or "show me where NEU is not a Tier 3 School." Enjoy your Philly Cheese Steak while its still hot, oh wait, I forgot that you really go to Hartford.

By Lenk58 (Lenk58) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 10:39 am: Edit

Alan you seem so angry but that what happens when you hype a nd pump NEU at every post. Yes Alan tier 3 is tier 3 and your comments can't change that. Get over it and accept it. When and if NEU moves higher than you can finally say it's not tier 3. As for broken records I challenge anyone here to go back into Alan posts and see once were he is not hyping NEU. It's tiresome and the reason for my responses is simply people should know a schools ranking when it's getting hyped. If the ranking are of little importance or alot that's up to each person.
Alan get off the hype wagon and have some credibility. As I have said before, I never applied to NEU and nor would I.

By Alan5 (Alan5) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 11:34 am: Edit

Lenk, the stats for NEU's incoming class have been released. It is another strong recruiting year for Northeastern:

http://www.nu-news.com/news/2004/07/21/News/Class.Of.09.HighRanking.WideSpread-694790.shtml?page=2

So much for having to go "deep into" the waitlist.

By Impostor (Impostor) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 11:48 am: Edit

what's your rank though?

I suggest Vtech, Gtech would be a lil reach, WPI, U. Wisc. Madison (^^ going there), Texas A&M, Austin, RPI, U. of Ilinois...etc...

for example... my SAT score was... sadly a 490/760, gpa... i believe a 3.2 lol ( no such a bad rank though...) I was not rejected anywhere I mentioned except for G tech.

By Neobez (Neobez) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 12:03 pm: Edit

GA Tech won't happen due to your GPA, especially if you're out of state, but you can try anyways.

By Mwamwa (Mwamwa) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 12:39 pm: Edit

ey guys, thnks a lot,,
it really helped me to create a list of colleges...
but one thing i worry about is the cost..
i know that international students are never or hard to get financial aid unless u r really smart...
30,000 ~ 40,000 would hurt my father..
20,000 ~30,000 would be ok..
10,000~20,000 woud be Great~!

by the way,, i dont know my exact class rank, but in my junior year, it's top 50%

By Dadofsam (Dadofsam) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 02:34 pm: Edit

Aside from Alan and Lenk's constant sniping, and Alan's putdown of the University of Hartford's SAT levels:

I don't personally know the University of Hartford but I do know that the son of a friend of ours who is quite particular about such things as education went to its engineering school on an athletic scholarship and received a good engineering education (and has been employed as an engineer for a couple of years now).

The University of Hartford is a large school with a large number of local students. However, at a number of such schools the engineering program is still rigorous and at a different level than the overall school. That is why the OP and others with similar qualifications should look at engineering programs specifically and the school as a whole, a bit less specifically. And tiers don't make a heck of a difference.

If there is any doubt about the quality of the enginering program in question, the place to inqure is not in any list of rankings but with employers of engineers, particularly in the geographical area of the school.

Sure, that can take more work than looking up a list of rankings, but that is how one learns about a school.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 02:51 pm: Edit

Your SAT scores aren't bad and may outweigh your low GPA at some engineering schools. A few suggestions not yet mentioned: Purdue, South Dakota State, Marquette U (Wisc.) Valparaiso (Indiana), Florida Institute of Technology, Seattle University, Gonzaga University (both in Washington), Loyola Marymount (LA), Marquette (Wisc), Loyola (MD), Rochester Institute of Technology, South Dakota School of Mines and Technology. Good luck.

By Alan5 (Alan5) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 03:40 pm: Edit

Dadofsam, my intention was not to put down the University of Hartford's SAT levels. Rather, my only purpose was to show the contradiction in Lenk's posts. IMO, the University of Hartford is another underrated school.

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 03:43 pm: Edit

Your grades are one thing but your grades in the maths and sciences will be very important along with the level math you have studied.

October is a tough month to take the SAT2s. Hopefully you are prepping for them. I would look at the requirements of a few engineering schools you like and see what SAT2s they recommend. Usually the Math 2c and the Physics are good bets.

I don't know what state you are in, but look at the options at any state programs where the cost would be low. The flagship state school may have a formula gpa/rank admissions scenario that could hurt you, but other state schools may be more lenient. Also Kettering is a good option as is Clarkson. I have heard good things about Clarkson, as a nurturing engineering school, if there is such a thing.

By Collegeparent (Collegeparent) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 03:48 pm: Edit

Gotta agree with Lenk about Drexel. It could be a very good possibility for you. Visit the campus and see what you think.

By Alan5 (Alan5) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 03:51 pm: Edit

Drexel is a good choice.

By Thekev (Thekev) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 01:12 am: Edit

Look at Oklahoma State, Kansas State, South Dakota School of Mines, Colorado School of Mines, Marquette,Texas Tech or Penn State.

By Rileymom (Rileymom) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 11:53 pm: Edit

Just a comment about NEU. NEU is determined to change it's image as the college for blue collar families from Boston and the burbs. It has marketed itself to a different audience and sent admissions reps to places far outside of it's typical MA and NE territory. My BIL, recently retired to consulting, but formerly president and VP of several firms, consistently chose NEU grads over grads from other schools because they were more experienced and practical. NEU suffers from being a huge school but it is definitely much harder to get into than it used to be. People in this area have been suprised to find that NEU is no longer their safety school.

By Pamvanw (Pamvanw) on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 08:14 am: Edit

VT is not a possibility with those grades & neither is Penn State or Pitt's main campus. At the admissions session at VT the rep said "no C's on the transcript." You absolutely can get into Penn State at a branch campus then move to main campus after 2 years. While this doesn't sound attractive to many students, you will be moving to main along with the rest of the engineering students from your branch. I would suggest putting Altoona as your first choice & Berks as your second. Branches want students who put them as their first choice. Apply NOW. Don't believe them when they say that someone who applies by Nov. 1 has the same chance as someone who applies in Sept. I have seen over & over again that that is not true. Berks is a nice campus that will take you. Altoona is getting more selective with it's location only 45 minutes from University Park, & their students travel up to U. Park for football weekends. In the end you have a Penn State engineering degree, which is one of the best engineering schools in the country. You can also gain admission to one of Pitt's branches, then move to the city campus after 2 years. Drexel is a good choice because of the mandatory coop program. You could also try West Virginia U. The thing that you have to consider with engineering is the university's career services center & placement rates. In your situation I'd choose Penn State.

By Alongfortheride (Alongfortheride) on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 09:17 am: Edit

There are lots of engineering schools in this country. Please make sure that the schools you look at are ABET accredited. My husband is an engineer. He preached ABET accreditation all throughout my son's school search. We were at lunch with a former boss and his wife. The discussion of engineering degrees came up and his boss spoke of the people he wanted to bring into his department but didn't because their degrees weren't from ABET accredited programs. Finally made a believer out of my son. All of the schools I've seen listed above will surely be accredited.

Forget Texas A&M and UT-Austin. Only 2 1/2% of the freshman engineering class at UT will be out of state or international, and with your GPA, I think you would be spending your time better looking in other directions. Also, practically speaking, you had better look past A&M as well. Both schools have an over abundance of applications for their schools. There are other good engineering schools in Texas such as UT-Arlington and UT-Dallas.

By Garland (Garland) on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 09:58 am: Edit

Both my S's best friends had serious GPA issues---very smart but tended to forget assignments, etc. One, with a lower SAT than yours, is going to RIT; the other, with a similar SAT, is going to NJIT, in the Honors program.

By Mwamwa (Mwamwa) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 01:06 pm: Edit

ehh.. ABET?!,, sounds new to me..
Do i get that ABET credit in undergraduate school?? or in graduate school??

By Arthurd (Arthurd) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 01:49 pm: Edit

ABET is the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology. It's a committee that validates several engineering programs to make sure they fit the criteria for today's engineering education standards. Colleges and universities earn ABET accreditation, not you.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 10:54 am: Edit

Here's the ABET link of accredited programs:
http://www.abet.org/accredited_prgs.html

By Mwamwa (Mwamwa) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 04:23 pm: Edit

okk.
i narrowed it down to (not considering the cost) :

R.P.I (Rensselaer Poly )
R.I.T
Drexel
Penn state (branch campus)
F.I.T
N.E.U (?)

MAYBEE: VT

hows dat?

By Mwamwa (Mwamwa) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 12:34 pm: Edit

?

By 007 (007) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 04:46 pm: Edit

OK as a fellow international student, heres some advice:

There are many smart intls who apply to universities in the US every year esp MIT, Stanford (me too although not smart). Most of these students cannot afford to pay 20-30K therefore they dont apply to any Public Universities which reduces the competition. For international stuents public universities are in my opinion quite simple to get into with say about 1300+ on the SAT I (few exceptions like berkeley,Univ of Virginia etc).

Loads of students from my school here in Dubai who are btw in the bottom half of the class (and yes most of these students have a GPA like ~65/100) end up in places like UMich, Purdue, UT Austin, UIUC, VT.

Maybe u should apply to one of the aforementioned institutions??

just a thought

By Mwamwa (Mwamwa) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 08:33 am: Edit

wow.. VT, UMich, purdue, UT Austin, UIUC ?!?
so colleges love those who pay full tuition heh?

By Boomer01 (Boomer01) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 09:47 am: Edit

Hey 007,
I am a international student. If it is possible can I talk to you through MSN or AOL?

By Mwamwa (Mwamwa) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 11:33 am: Edit

anyone's against 007 ?

By Mwamwa (Mwamwa) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 12:50 pm: Edit

?

By 007 (007) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 02:08 pm: Edit

btw its an Indian School (CBSE Board)

By Mwamwa (Mwamwa) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 06:09 pm: Edit

the thing that really surprised me was 65/100

(2.5 ?!?!) of GPA students in Dubai Indian

school got into UMich, Purdue, UT Austin, UIUC,

VT...

By Mwamwa (Mwamwa) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 08:45 am: Edit

bump

By Mwamwa (Mwamwa) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 03:49 pm: Edit

bump

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 02:59 am: Edit

have you looked at Worcester Polytechnic Institute?

By Mwamwa (Mwamwa) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 05:00 pm: Edit

they sent me a letter,,,,

yea,, but not that attractive..

anyone responds to 007 please.......

because 007 kinda confuse me...

By 007 (007) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 01:12 pm: Edit

Are you Indian??
coz 65-70/100 is like B/B+ average around here.

By Mwamwa (Mwamwa) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 09:18 pm: Edit

what,, that's not fair...
then what's 90~100 like,, A ++++ ??
i don't go to indian school..
i go to American system international school

By Mwamwa (Mwamwa) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 08:53 am: Edit

bump

By Lenk58 (Lenk58) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 02:21 pm: Edit

I already recommended Drexel and Hartford and NEU. You should also look at SUNY Stony Brook and SUNY Buffalo. Solid engineering programs and affordable public schools.

By Alan5 (Alan5) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 02:27 pm: Edit

Engineering Rankings (Alternative Ranking to U.S. News):

http://www.graduateshotline.com/ranks/index.html

Northeastern is 49 and Drexel is 55. Both have excellent Co-op programs ranked #1 and #2 by U.S. News.

By Benzinspeicher (Benzinspeicher) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 04:44 pm: Edit

probably won't get into for RPI, as I know several ppl w/ 3.0s and plenty of ECs that got rejected by RPI (SATs weren't that good for RPI, mostly ppl w/ low 600s in math and mid 1200s combined-yes they scored higher on verbal)

By Mwamwa (Mwamwa) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 09:22 am: Edit

geeezz american colleges are expensive
maybe i should look for some canadian colleges..

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page