Ideas for Schools (Predmed/Biochem/Bio)

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: June 2004 Archive: Ideas for Schools (Predmed/Biochem/Bio)
By Drbiteman (Drbiteman) on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 06:15 pm: Edit

Hey. I'm in the class of 2006 and I was wondering what are some schools I could go to that are/have...

-A good biochemistry program or pre-med (biology also but biochem preferred)
-High acceptance rate to medical school
-An NCAA/Intercollegiate particapating baseball team (I don't care about divisions)
-Preferably in the northeast but I'd go as far west as Wisconsin and as far south as the Carolinas
-Merit Awards/Scholorships/etc. (and a lot of it)

I've been looking for schools but some are lacking what I want. Case Western seems to tickle my fancy :).

What I have done?
-1240 on PSAT (but will most definatly get better from when I took them 6 months ago to when I have to take the new SAT next year, plus now I know what to expect)
-700 on Molecular Bio SATII
-640 Math IC (but taking Math IIC next year because it is more similar to what I have been doing in Math)
-Taking German w/ Listening next November to complete the trio of SAT II's
-Have taken or will take: AP Biology, AP Language/Comp, AP Physics, AP Calculus, AP Chem, AP Economics, and college-level German (scores yet to be known)
-Projected to have around a 3.9 unweighted GPA and 4.0-4.1 weighted GPA
-Extracurriculars such as Varsity Baseball, Symphonic Band, NYSSMA, Math Honor Society, German Honor Society, and future application to National Honor Society
-Several awards in German (both school and regional), section principal in band, outstanding ratings on saxophone at NYSSMA festivals.

New York State Regents Scores (85 is mastery level, 100 is perfect):
Math A- 98 (Math A is before Math B [duh])
Math B- 98 (Math B is basically advanced Algebra/Trig/Geometry etc. and is the step before Pre-Calculus)
German- 100
Earth Science- 97
Biology- Awaiting Score (at least 85, probably a lot higher)
Global History- Awaiting Score (at least 85, probably a lot higher)
Taking Physics and English Regents next year (11th grade)

Thank you for being paitent and reading this. If you can help, please post :).

(and I know this isn't the right forum, but please let me know if what I have done/will do is good enough to get into Case Western and their biochem program)

By Velvetoneo (Velvetoneo) on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 08:01 pm: Edit

You can get into Case Western, but raise to 1300+.

By Hubbellgardner (Hubbellgardner) on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 08:22 pm: Edit

Davidson college has a medical school acceptance rate of over 90%(it was 94% this past year), located in North Carolina, extremely strong biology department; your stats are at the lower end for admission though; this years entering class mid 50% SAT scores were 1310-1440; but I advise you to check out the school;

By Ay_Caramba (Ay_Caramba) on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 08:30 pm: Edit

Duke's medical school acceptance rate is also very high (over 90%). They also guarantee to meet 100% of your demonstrated need. unlike ivies, Duke also has merit aid too. You'll have to raise some of your stats though. They have a baseball team and its premed/bio/biochem is really good.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page