What college is right for me?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: June 2004 Archive: What college is right for me?
By Apemanttt (Apemanttt) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 02:38 pm: Edit

Now, let's pretend I can get into any school, even though I know I can't... I am planning on majoring in engineering - either mechanical with a focus on nanotech or aerospace. I also REALLY want to have a minor or business, this is very important to me.

I'm from Minnesota and want to move pretty far away. Moving to the south would be incredible allowing me to get away from this cold, crappy weather.

Another really important factor for me is that I want to have a good social life and go to a school where I can party and have fun, although I'm not worried about having to work my ass off at all other times. For this reason, I'm afraid MIT, CIT, and GTech would not be the schools for me even though they are incredibly engineering schools and would be great for my career. I also get the feeling that the people there will be elitists, unfriendly, or just generally not fun people. Am I wrong about this?

Based on this, would anyone have some reccomendations and be willing to discuss some great engineering schools? I would list some schools that I have as top choices, but I want to keep your responses from being limited and focusing on only the schools I've considered so far.

By Scubasteve (Scubasteve) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 02:44 pm: Edit

its hard to make suggestions without seeing your stats.

but off the top of my head, lehigh university is pretty much everything you are looking for (good egineering school, good business school, interschool enrollment is encouraged, great social expeirence) ... only thing that is off is that it is in pennsylvania, which is not the south

By Noodleman (Noodleman) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 02:46 pm: Edit

Take a year off, party, then post again. Get it out of your system. Seriously. I'm not being flip. Do an internship. Travel. See some campuses.

Or, go to Virginia Tech now.

Stay far away from Cornell, MIT, Caltech. They'll want you to work. Hard.

By Apemanttt (Apemanttt) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 02:54 pm: Edit

Here's some basic stats:

33 ACT... Hopefully moving up in the fall
Taking SAT II's this fall

Class Rank 1/95
4.0 Unweighted
4.6 Weighted

Junior year took half of my classes at a univerisity through a state program. Taking all my classes this - senior - year at the same university. These were the max #'s of classes I could take there.

From 7th-11th grade I was involved in a math program which I took at a university through the University of MN. Finished Calc 3 which was as far as I could go.

ECs:

6 years varsity tennis - state champion 1 year (hopefully 2 next year)/ captain of team 1 year
Lot's of other EC's - sports, clubs, awards... just assume they're fairly good

By Scubasteve (Scubasteve) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 03:27 pm: Edit

there is a combined business and engineering program at lehigh. It is very selective and considered an honors program, however you probably have the stats for it. Tell me what you think:

"Integrated Business and Engineering Program (IBE)
This state-of-the-art honors program, which leads to a bachelor of science degree in Integrated Business and Engineering (IBE), is designed to prepare leaders of the corporate world for the 21st century, by providing them with a sound foundation in both management and technology.
The highly selective four-year honors program brings together the resources and faculty of the College of Business and Economics and the P.C. Rossin College of Engineering and Applied Science. Students will be prepared to make decisions related to technology and product and process development in a way that combines technical, financial, marketing and strategic dimensions.
The IBE program also offers a 5-year, dual degree program leading to a BS in IBE and a BS in an engineering field selected by the student. Incoming students must apply directly to the program."

By Apemanttt (Apemanttt) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 03:28 pm: Edit

Another couple things:

I go to a private school right now and really want to go to a large college, preferably near a big city.

By Mominva (Mominva) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 03:45 pm: Edit

Look into University of Pennsylvania's Management and Technology program. It is in Philadelphia.

By Boxmaker1917 (Boxmaker1917) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 08:39 pm: Edit

Not what you want to hear but.... A young woman I know graduated last year from the U of M with a degree in aerospace engineering. She now works for NASA in Texas. If you wanted to postpone your desire for warmer climates, an engineering degree from the U of M -- which has one of the top engineering schools in the country -- will get you a job almost anywhere. By the way, she is on the US National team in her sport and was able to continue training through college by going to the U.

By Reidmc (Reidmc) on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 12:25 am: Edit

If you want a "great" engineering school you are going to have to work hard, period. But you should be able to have a decent social life at most schools, and would do better to visit schools and talk with students than to make too many assumptions beforehand. I'd look further into Georgia Tech, and add Rice, which is in a large city and has a very good reputation.

By Jersey220 (Jersey220) on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 01:02 pm: Edit

Look at the University of Maryland - College Park. It has a very good engineering program (best part is aerospace engineering by the way) along with one of the best undergraduate business schools in the country. It's probably not as warm as you want, but I'm sure it beats Minnesota. It's a big school located about 5 miles outside of DC. College park has a stop on the DC metro system as well. Sounds like everything you want. Also, with your stats, you can get into the honors program and scholarship money, etc. Apply EA and you'll be set.

By Apemanttt (Apemanttt) on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 05:45 pm: Edit

I wasn't even considering Lehigh, but I didn't really it was as prestigious as it is. I have a very ambitious list of colleges I put together:

Cornell
Stanford
Lehigh
U of Michigan
Northwestern
U of MN
U of WI
Berkeley

Maybes:

Purdue?
MIT?
GTech?
Notre Dame?
CIT?

Would an uncle who attended Purdue entail a legacy?

I want to go to a big school. Lots of people, great variety - not just the engineering type (sorry to say it, nerds). These type of people are one of my turn-offs to engineering; especially the lack of girls in engineering aspect and most who are in engeering are basically nerdy guys.

I'm also starting to lean towards mechanical/electrical because from what I have been reading aerospace is a stagnant field. I realized before that it was a very limited field, but the growth and opportunities to move up just aren't there. I guess the lack of room to move up is everywhere in engineering, and that's why I'm looking to double major or major/minor in engineering & business.

By Aidaellette (Aidaellette) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 01:25 pm: Edit

how good of a college is the University of Illinois for aerospace? just wondering, because next summer im going to go to a camp there...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page