USC financial aid

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: June 2004 Archive: USC financial aid
By Foreigngirl (Foreigngirl) on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 07:26 pm: Edit

I know that since USC is a private institution international students also might get financial aid. How does it work? Do only the ones from very poor families get aid or do you have to be a very good student with outstanding stats, does it depend on your parents's income or do you just say you can only pay 20k a year? How does it work? Can anybody help me please??????? .....THANKS

By Kevin720 (Kevin720) on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 11:54 pm: Edit

I can't say that I'm an expert on this subject, but from what I've heard, it's much easier for international students to receive merit-based scholarships than domestic applicants. However, they can't qualify for any federal, state, or university need-based financial aid programs.

By Playtothebeat (Playtothebeat) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 02:09 am: Edit

i'm going to USC next year because they gave me TREMENDOUS amount of aid

we are not poor, in fact by "government standards" we are at a decent shape. my parenst make a combined of 70k/year or so, which isn't that bad.

however, my brother is in college right now, and i will be next year, plus we just bought a new house. for next year, USC gave me over 34k in financial aid. that included 28k grant, 2.5k work study, a perkins and stafford loan that basically everyone gets.

not bad, i think :)
my parents only have to pay 7k out of their pocket, probably less cuz i have like 2-3 k in savings already.

By Kevin720 (Kevin720) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 02:22 am: Edit

Playtothebeat-are you an international student? When I said "they" don't qualify for need-based aid, I meant the foreign students.

By Playtothebeat (Playtothebeat) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 02:36 am: Edit

sorry man i didn't even read your message. i read the first sentence half way through, and then just posted a reply

im not an internation student. im from oregon (though english is not my first language. i was born in russia)

By Foreigngirl (Foreigngirl) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 10:50 am: Edit

so according to you Kevin foreign students only get aid if they are academically exceptional? Or good athletes or musicians? Well too bad....what are your stats Playtothebeat? What kind of stats do you need to even get into USC and what kind of stats do you need to be considered for aid?

By Kevin720 (Kevin720) on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 12:13 am: Edit

I don't believe you have to be that exceptional as a foreign student to get a big scholarship. In fact, I'd say it's much easier for them to receive merit-based scholarships than domestic applicants. It's very common for them to get them whether they're that exceptional or not.

But since you've lived in another country, don't expect state, government, federal financial aid, regardless of your family's economic status

By Foreigngirl (Foreigngirl) on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 06:42 am: Edit

oh ok i understand....thanks a lot for all the information. I will see if I can get into USC first and then see if there is a chance for me to get a scholarship....

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page