Grinnell vs. Illinois Wesleyan vs. Lawrence

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: June 2004 Archive: Grinnell vs. Illinois Wesleyan vs. Lawrence
By Guitarshredder (Guitarshredder) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 09:39 pm: Edit

As far as Liberal Arts colleges go I've narrowed it down to these three. At this point I have not visited either Grinnell or Lawrence, but I'm going to soon if I want to apply ED.

What are the main differences between the three? I'm interested in differences all across the board: academically, socially, etc.

When it comes to academics I'm most interested in the following:

Economics
Computer Science
Physics (Nuclear in particular)
History
Pre-Law
Jazz (guitar)

I know Grinnell is a bit more left leaning than Illinois Wesleyan, Lawrence has a really good music program, Illinois Wesleyan has little when it comes to non-classical music, and Grinnell probably has the most "prestige" (but I frankly don't care about that).

I suppose I just want to get some more information on how they compare and contrast before I visit Grinnell and Lawrence.

By Ilcapo (Ilcapo) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 09:41 pm: Edit

i have no clue about any of these schools but if prestige is involved, i would go with grinnel.

thats really the only one i truly "know" of as a New Englander

By Guitarshredder (Guitarshredder) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 09:43 pm: Edit

Yeah, prestige is the least of my concerns.

I guess I'm looking more for students who go to the schools or have visited or parents who have visited. Even people who know someone that goes to one of the schools would be great. I'm not looking for how they rank in U.S. News.

By Reidmc (Reidmc) on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 01:30 am: Edit

Having read several of your posts over the past few months I think you will make a good choice and do well wherever you end up.

One thing I would offer at this point is to forget about "pre-law" in your decision-making process. As long as you earn a high GPA and do well on the LSAT you can go to law school with most any major from any selective school. Otherwise, I'd just tell you to keep Lawrence on your list and to have fun on your visits.

By Wisconsinguy (Wisconsinguy) on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 02:48 am: Edit

Lawrence has one of the most well-equipped small physics programs in the country. They've pumped millions into it the past few years to make it very cutting-edge.

By Kiwee (Kiwee) on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 10:48 am: Edit

I lived in Grinnell Iowa for 14 years, and my dad and several of my friends' parents worked at the college. The campus is beautiful, the town is awesome I miss it so much. The school is great for computers, which is what my dad worked in. It is also amazing for history and music. I knew several of the teachers in the science department, one of my best friends' moms was actually a physics teacher, although I do not know if it was nuclear or not. I may be biased, but Grinnell is a great school, and the town is awesome too. I definately reccommend it.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page