Tulane's Imported Tennis Team!?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: June 2004 Archive: Tulane's Imported Tennis Team!?
By Chapter322 (Chapter322) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 06:55 pm: Edit

Ok, like one person on the team is from the U.S!! And is it just me, or do these guys look really old? Yet, they claim to be undergraduates! Do many guys at Tulane look like this!?!?

Photos...

I was planning on joining the team, but since it looks like they have a foreign import policy, I may have to settle for the Tennis Club. There is no way that I could make the team!

I've been around Harvard's team. They seemed like normal college-aged guys. Maybe there's something in the water at Tulane??

By Concerneddad (Concerneddad) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 07:05 pm: Edit

I see your point!

By Chapter322 (Chapter322) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 07:14 pm: Edit

That has to be a mix of grads and undergrads. Even though, it seems that some of them started college late or something. LOL.

"Patrizio" speaks 5 languages, and "Goran" speaks 4 languages. LOL. Didn't know you could mix up the teams like that(undergrads and grads).

*Shrugs Shoulders*

By Vulcano (Vulcano) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 07:58 pm: Edit

They don't look that old at all. European people just tend to mature physically at a faster pace.

By Ate2005 (Ate2005) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 08:55 pm: Edit

You're probably right about them starting college later. For instance the guy from Israel had to have attended the army for three years first.

By Laurenh87 (Laurenh87) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 10:35 pm: Edit

Well regardless, a lot of them are damn fine!

:P

By Backhandgrip (Backhandgrip) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 10:20 am: Edit

I had a thread about this in the parents forum concerning Recruited Foreign Athletes. This is how it works, a foreign tennis player is good because of the lack of competition in his country. So he is top in his nation and plays international tournmaments representing his country, (maybe even the Olympics) usually at an early age. When his rankings start to faulter, at like 22-26, he gets a U.S.tennis/athletic scholarship as no green 18 year old American can compete with a guy who has been playing international tournament tennis for years. Sad but true. They did, I think, change a few NCAA rules a few years ago concerning this. If you want to play at Tulane, good luck.Coach will probably not answer your emails.I don't know how to beat this trend.This is so unfair to U.S. kids who want to play but are not Division 1 material or have a specific college in mind.Impossible system.What are the U.S. boys supposed to do? Go drink? At any rate, Tulane is a hot U.S. college.

By Haruko (Haruko) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 11:12 am: Edit

hahaha nice..

By Matth (Matth) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 01:08 pm: Edit

There are lots of things that are unfair about college athletic programs and departments. Don't expect it to ever change. How is it fair at the colleges who have big football or basketball programs where the teams are made up of individuals who do not have to have the academic requirements of other applicants? And who are financially subsidized to a ridiculous amount? And who rarely even graduate? Please. There's so much wrong with college sports in this country. This tennis issue is small in comparison.

By Kakael (Kakael) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 01:36 pm: Edit

Tulane is by no means unique in its reliance on foreign tennis players. Most of the top teams have at least some foreigners. In fact, Baylor University won this year's NCAA Div I men's championships with a line-up consisting totally of foreign players.

By Dabigv12 (Dabigv12) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 06:41 pm: Edit

yeah... welcome to d1 sports... upenn likes to bring over ringers from asia and russia and costa rica.. its fun to see 25 year old soviets beating up on 19 year ol college students.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page