Equestrian & Writing schools ...?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: June 2004 Archive: Equestrian & Writing schools ...?
By Gibberish (Gibberish) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 02:13 pm: Edit

Hey. I've just recently decided to graduate a year early from high school so I just got blown head-first into the whole college-search. I was wondering if anyone can help me ... Do you know of any schools with good equestrian (horseback riding) teams/programs? And pretty much unrelated, schools with creative writing as a central figure? I'm looking for good/great academics too but those are the most important features I'm looking for. Currently I'm looking into Dartmouth, Williams, Middlebury (writing), and Skidmore (riding). Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

By Mini (Mini) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 04:11 pm: Edit

Don't know if you are female, but Mount Holyoke is a perennial national equestrian team finalist or winner, and has a GREAT writing program, with well-known poets and essayists. I think several of the ohter women's colleges also have equestrian teams.

Earlham has the only student-run stable in the country, a fine English department -- though I do not know about creative writing.

By Gibberish (Gibberish) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 04:46 pm: Edit

yeah I'm female, but I'd be a little nervous going to an all-girls school. I've always been to coed. I looked up Mount Holyoke and it seems really wonderful, I guess I'll check it out this summer. Never heard of Earlham, but the stable sounds awesome! Thanks, I'll look into it.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 01:49 pm: Edit

Goucher in Maryland is another school with a riding program.

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 02:16 pm: Edit

Duke I beleive also has an equestrian team

By Concerneddad (Concerneddad) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 03:35 pm: Edit

What about riding programs in the west?

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 03:53 pm: Edit

Can't think of many offhand
CWU in Ellensburg you can ride at closeby stables, western is predominating style.
Same with WWU, my daughter has had friends who have boarded horses at both.
Theoretically, she could have riden in Portland but she never had time.
She does have a friend at Holyoke though who rides enough to compete, and a friend who went to Duke because she could ride there.
Oh I also think Boulder has a program

By Concerneddad (Concerneddad) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 05:16 pm: Edit

OK, so I answered my own question. Here is a website that lists all of the member schools that compete in inter-collegiate riding program.

http://www.ihsa.com/

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 06:33 pm: Edit

Try the university of Redlands in Calif.They have a good creative writing program and have an equestrian club that may compete.

You should also look at Washington College in Maryland - they also have a riding club. Washington is excellent for creative writing - they have a large endowment specifically for their creative program and if you're a national merit award winner, they automatically give you a huge merit award.

It might also be worth while to do a search of the websites of Kenyon College and Gettysburg college to see what they offer in terms of equestrian sports. Both have fine writing programs.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 06:43 pm: Edit

Scratch the last - looking at the site Concerneddad directed us to, looks like you might look at some of the following schools - all have good English programs and riding teams:
Earlham, Goucher, Colby, Bates, Hollins (all female), Vanderbilt, University of the South,
Carleton

By Gibberish (Gibberish) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 10:18 pm: Edit

Wow, thanks! I never knew it was this possible. I'm pretty much only into english (mostly why I was sticking to the east) but these all look awesome. Let me get back to you when I get the chance to go through them all! Thanks again.

By Rhkid005 (Rhkid005) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 10:35 pm: Edit

Sarah Lawrence College offers riding and has an amazing writing program... in terms of selectivity, it's on par with Skidmore (maybe a bit more selective).

By Happykid (Happykid) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 11:03 pm: Edit

Mount Holyoke is an awesome school. Even if you have never thought of attending an all-girls school, you should definitely not write it off. I visited last year and seriously considered it. The equestrian program is phenomenal and I beleive the writing program is equally excellent. It is an absolutely beautiful campus (think Hogwarts) and has the advantage of the five college consortium, if you are worried about the girl thing. Mount Holyoke is highly regarded by graduate and professional schools... and you most certainly would be able to train at a elite level, college-wise, in your equitation.

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 11:03 pm: Edit

Thanks for the link it reminded me I have to get new paddock boots for the D, her sister stopped growing at 6 1/2 but her feet are an 8!

By Par72 (Par72) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 11:46 pm: Edit

Try Holy Cross-has equestrian team - and the school has a solid English department. This year's Pulitzer for non-fiction was awarded to a Holy Cross grad. Also HC has nice campus. Duke also has very good English department but not sure of its equestrian team.

By Sooky6 (Sooky6) on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 01:28 pm: Edit

Hmmm...I didn't think HC had an equestrian team, and it is not listed on their website under athletics if they do. Maybe its a club team? FYI. My two cents is that Mount Holyoke, Skidmore and Goucher offer the best balance of really competitive riding and English depts.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page