Transfer help!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: June 2004 Archive: Transfer help!
By Frustrated24 (Frustrated24) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 08:31 pm: Edit

Hey guys! Due to some unavoidable circumstances I had to get admitted to the University of Arkansas, Fayetteville. I will be starting college this fall in comp sci at their Honors college. So will be taking some tough classes. However, I wanna transfer but I am not sure whether transferring to a liberal arts college from an university is such a good idea.
Also, since english is not my first language, I donot have a very good SAT score. I immigrated in october, 2003 and had one month to prepare for my SAT, TOEFL and GCE "A" Level( 12th grade) exams. SAT 1260, TOEFL 290/300 and High school GPA 3.88.
I need very good financial aid and I am a US Permanent Resident. But I do not want to have that much loan either. I was looking at Trinity College, CT and they meet the full financial need of transfer students.
Any more ideas, suggestions. Sorry for the long post.
Thanks.

By Frustrated24 (Frustrated24) on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 02:15 am: Edit

bump

By Frustrated24 (Frustrated24) on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 03:31 am: Edit

bump

By Frustrated24 (Frustrated24) on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 10:46 am: Edit

bump

By Frustrated24 (Frustrated24) on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 12:36 pm: Edit

bump

By Frustrated24 (Frustrated24) on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 02:11 pm: Edit

bump

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 02:36 pm: Edit

Instead of just bumping the post, why not add some additional information or ?

You don't give much information
You have been in this country less than a year, but need "good" financial aid.
What does that mean?
$10,000? $20,000?
Many native students do not get "good" financial aid.
I think you should work on making your freshman year a strong one rather than focusing on how you can transfer before you have even begun

By Frustrated24 (Frustrated24) on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 04:41 pm: Edit

Hey. Thank you. I immigrated to USA last year October and my high school ended in December last year. So to get into college, I took my SAT and TOEFL in December and applied to the university beacuse my brother was staying here and residents of Mississippi with ACT 28/SAT 1240 could apply for a non-resident tuition award. So I applied for that and got it. However I live with my brother so room and board I dont have to pay by myself except the instate tuition.
My parents dont work here yet, so I couldnot apply for FAFSA or CSS. I can afford $4,500 max.
I am already working on my studies and studying for the difficult courses beforehand at home (like Calculus, Chemistry).

By Frustrated24 (Frustrated24) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 12:06 pm: Edit

bump

By Frustrated24 (Frustrated24) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 03:03 pm: Edit

bump

By Buddnutz (Buddnutz) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 08:30 pm: Edit

bump

By Frustrated24 (Frustrated24) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 10:54 pm: Edit

bump

By Frustrated24 (Frustrated24) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 11:48 pm: Edit

bump

By Collegeprof (Collegeprof) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 11:58 pm: Edit

All right, you're definitely persistent... :-) If you want to do computer science, liberal arts colleges may not be the best place for you--typically comp sci is not a major focus of LACs, even though I'm sure there are exceptions. I think you're not getting many responses b/c your question is too vague--any school may give you merit aid if you look good enough, and any school may give you need-based aid if you qualify. The usual strategy is to look for schools that are a good fit for you (academically and otherwise), apply to those, and then look at the financial aid offers you get and make a decision at that point.

Good luck!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page