Find Me a 4-Year Home

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: June 2004 Archive: Find Me a 4-Year Home
By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 05:02 pm: Edit

Asian Male, from California.

SAT: 1320
GPA: 3.6 UW, 3.7 W
- The reason for this is because the amount of courses I took throughout my three years thus far diluted the effect of any AP classes. Also, my High School doesn't count College Classes as Honors points, neither does it count Honors points. Boy, do we suck.
SAT II: Scores come sometime this week, but from the CC threads, I reckon around 700 across the board.
- SAT IIs taken: US History, World, and Writing.
- Will take: Mathematics IC, and two others in November.
Class Rank: Top 5%

Likely Major: Political Science, International Politics/Relations

Course Rigor:
English - Honors/AP
Mathematics - Pre-calculus/AP Statistics
Sciences - AP Environmental/CP Bio/Chem, maybe physics?
Foreign Language - Korean
History - (strongest emphasis) 8 yrs worth
- College Prep, World History
- College Course, US History
- College Course, Political Science
- College Course, Western Civilization
- College Course, Psychology
- College Course, Microeconomics
- AP Course, US History (Next year)
- AP Course, Gov't/Macroeconomics (Next year)
(Each course is worth 10 credits = 1 yr. All A's).

Strongest academic focus: Social Sciences/Political Studies

Weakest academic focus: Natural Sciences/Mathematics

Extracurriculars:
Battalion Commander, 4 years, ROTC
- Also placed as All-City Adjutant, 3rd place out of over 3,500 cadets in the ROTC program.

Marksmanship Commander, 2 years

Founder/President, Senior Prosecutor, Mock Trial Association, 2 years

Senior Student Representative, Los Angeles World Affairs Council, 2 years

National Delegate, Freedom's Foundation, Junior Year

State-level Delegate, California Boys State (this week.. :P)

Student Delegate, USC Economic Summit, 2 yrs

Student Delegate, LA Youth Forum

Lead Tenor, Church Choir, 4 years+

Peer Tutoring, Volunteering, Ran a Chess Club for 3 years for a local library. All that good stuff. The peer tutoring comes with the job of Battalion Commander. Have to look after my cadets, academically of course. ;)

Recommendations from:
2 principals (don't ask, our school has two principals.. one of the largest schools in the nation)
3-4 assistant principals
2-3 department chairs
Recommendation from heads of several National Organizations (some veterans, others Constitutional studies programs)..

Awards Won:
Superior Junior Cadet (ROTC)
High Honor Roll (School)
Dean's List (City College)
Distinguished Cadet (ROTC)
Military Order of the World Wars Leadership Award
Military Officers Association of America Leadership Award
Reserve Officers Association of America Leadership Award
Military Order of the Purple Heart Leadership Award
American Legion Gold Scholastic Award
JROTC Commendation Award

Currently Nominated for:
Legion of Valor Bronze Cross Award for Achievement (24 cadets in the nation)

Am retaking the SAT I in October.

Looking for a nice, decent, political science program, or international studies. Looking for a metropolitan atmosphere.

GPA will probably raise up to a 3.9/4.0 by the end of the Senior Year.

By Mudbutt (Mudbutt) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 06:56 pm: Edit

I can only advise you from my own experience, but I would seriously consider the University of Pennsylvania if you want a focus in social science and live in a metropolis. While I myself ignored major universities (I chose to attend Haverford), I will be taking classes at UPenn for social science. Perhaps you could become a Benjamin Franklin Scholar--there are some awesome seminars associated with this program, for example: a seminar I would love to take concerns the philosophy James Madison used when conjuring up the U.S. Constitution. Hence, you get to see how classics and ideas of the greats live on inside you. Once again, I'm not an expert and I won't pretend to be, but I think that you will enjoy UPenn. Consider it.

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 07:30 pm: Edit

LOL. Could I get IN is another story.

By Palmbeach12 (Palmbeach12) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 07:50 pm: Edit

Johns Hopkins or Georgetown?? Get your SAT up and you have a decent shot

By Mudbutt (Mudbutt) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 08:48 pm: Edit

If you apply ED and apply no where else ED, then yes, you easily could get in UPenn.

By Madness (Madness) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 09:01 pm: Edit

Mudbutt: "If you apply ED and apply no where else ED, then yes, you easily could get in UPenn." REALLY??? that makes my life so much easier.

By Reidmc (Reidmc) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 11:54 pm: Edit

Occidental, Rhodes, Unversity of Minnesota

By Mudbutt (Mudbutt) on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 01:12 am: Edit

Madness: One thing UPenn will look at will be where else the applicant has applied. Based on what UPenn thinks about the applicants chances at other schools, they can either deny admission based on probable yield or accept if there is a good shot the applicant will attend. Colleges want two things from an ED/EA applicant: an out-standing student in both ethnicity and academics and the chance to fill a spot on the class so as to lower their acceptance rate. 39% was the ED acceptance rate for the class of 2007 and with the stats and character of the thread starter, there is a very good chance he will get accepted. All the applicant needs to brush up on is his SAT and smarts concerning Philidelphia and the University of Pennsylvania.

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 04:09 am: Edit

Thanks, but I'm planning to apply EA Georgetown. I believe Georgetown is single EA, and I don't really want to feel obligated to attend UPENN, since it's not my first choice. Besides, statistically, I could probably get in GU before I get in UPENN.

Any other great advice out there?

By Eyesclozedtight (Eyesclozedtight) on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 12:55 pm: Edit

i had similar stats to you and similar interests. i decided to go to UC davis. they have great social science programs including poli sci and international relations(part of why i went). they're also very close to sacramento providing alot of opportunity in these fields. it's a great school, check it out!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page