Love chicago and yale.. what else??

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: June 2004 Archive: Love chicago and yale.. what else??
By Moxiepoxiedeux (Moxiepoxiedeux) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 12:13 pm: Edit

i'm definitely going to apply to both yale and chicago, but i'm not sure where else. i'm probably going to double major in math and history, but i also want the 'freedom' (or requirement) to take lots of classes related to my main interest, which is the study of networks (hence math/combinatorics/graph theory, biology, physics, social stuff, linguistics, philosophy etc.) both law school and grad school (math) sound good right now. i don't want a school where professors are allowed/encouraged to preach their own political beliefs to the class- or at least a good ratio between liberals and conservatives on the econ/poli sci etc. departments. schools that i disliked were princeton and stanford. where else should i consider?

edit: ok quick stats- 12ish APs by grad, all As except 1 B+, 1560 sat, champion debater (recruitable but don't want to debate in college), going to telluride/tasp this summer, lots of gay straight alliance stuff, several math/physics conferences (postdoc level- not that i understand that much!).

By Collegeparent (Collegeparent) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 01:17 pm: Edit

Brown sounds like your type of school. Also MIT, Penn, CalTech, Columbia, Cornell, for starters.

By Sac (Sac) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 01:32 pm: Edit

Harvard, Columbia, Cornell come to mind if you don't want to take the MIT/Caltech route.

By Chasgoose (Chasgoose) on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 12:40 am: Edit

Swarthmore is like the LAC equivalent of UChicago (although it is more difficult to get in) and you would be able to use UPenn if you needed it if Swarthmore didn't provide it (the classes at Swarthmore would be better but sometimes UPenn might offer something Swarthmore doesn't). I would also reccomend Amherst and maybe Vassar. Harvard is the most similar school to Yale (they are very hard to distinguish on paper it is only slight differences in feel and location).

By Aspirer42 (Aspirer42) on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 02:03 am: Edit

Yeah. Try Swarthmore, Reed, maybe Harvey Mudd or Haverford? Columbia and Brown sound nice too.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page