RANK THESE SCHOOLS

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: June 2004 Archive: RANK THESE SCHOOLS
By Madness (Madness) on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 03:34 pm: Edit

don't laughl, but i want to major in history...not b/c it's a fluff major, but b/c i'm a total history geek. my other interests are english/creative writing, anthropology, and international relations.

how do

UPenn
Columbia
Kenyon
Dartmouth
William & Mary
UVA
Northwestern
Washington & Lee
Mt. Holyoke
Lafayette
Rhodes College
Vanderbilt
UMiami
Middlebury
Bowdoin
Colby
Trinity College (CT)

rank in terms of (a) history, (b) english, (c) anthropology, and (d) international relations??

THX IN ADVANCE!!!

By Scubasteve (Scubasteve) on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 03:44 pm: Edit

add tufts to your list. It has the best international relations program in the country

By Madness (Madness) on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 03:57 pm: Edit

scubasteve: i've heard of tufts, and it sounds like a good school, but it's in MA...yuck. (yes i know other schools on my list are in new england, but those are all parents' choice: dad's a total northestern snob).

anyone else???????

By Abrandel05 (Abrandel05) on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 04:05 pm: Edit

UVA is supposed to be top notch in history...my AP world teacher who is a Ph.D student finishing her doctoral thesis in human geography and african history is studying at UVA this summer, she said its a fantastic department. International relations...perhaps JHU, i dunno how youll feel about the school itself but they have a pretty good department. You mentioned writing, Middlebury is a very good english school...another teacher of one of my classes early in high school studied at middlebury and she is currently finishing her Ph.D spending some time at Oxford. She said middlebury had a really great english department. sorry thats all i know hope i helped a lil

By Undecided086 (Undecided086) on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 05:17 pm: Edit

William & Mary has a really good history program, haha is only in Williamsburg (the epitome of colonial American History)!

By Collegeparent (Collegeparent) on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 05:20 pm: Edit

All are in "snobby Northeast":

English and anthropology, check out Amherst, especially for history; also for English, Middlebury & Kenyon. Intl relations and history, look at Georgetown and Colgate (both not on your list), agree about Tufts for IR.

Southern schools: UVa, Wm&Mary & W&L all look good. Also check out Duke & Wake Forest.

All of the schools you mention are top notch. If you want to travel West, look at the Claremont Colleges and of course, Stanford.

By Jonw222 (Jonw222) on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 05:50 pm: Edit

All of the schools you mentioned are excellent for Anthropology, English and History and have great departments and faculties. If you are interested in Columbia, I recommend looking at NYU since it's in the city and has very good programs in anthropology, english, and history but especially history. If you need them to be ranked, here is my opinion, imperfect as it is. I have based this on my perceptions of the faculty at the various schools.

Antrho
UPenn (very good Anthro, History, English program)
Columbia (if you like NYC and anthro, think of NYU. Probably as good if not better Anthro ug program)
Dartmouth
Northwestern
Washington U.
UVA
Vanderbilt
William & Mary

History
Columbia
UPenn
Dartmouth
University of Virginia
Northwestern
NYU
Vanderbilt
William and Mary

English
University of Virginia
Columbia or UPenn
Dartmouth
NYU
Northwestern
William and Mary

By Madness (Madness) on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 07:23 pm: Edit

thx for all the help guys!!!

By Ejj2007 (Ejj2007) on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 06:11 pm: Edit

Emory has a great international relations program. You could even intern at the carter center (part of Emory).

By Macsuile (Macsuile) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 08:52 pm: Edit

Here are some stats on William & Mary:

- Second oldest U.S. university
- Oldest U.S. law school
- Birthplace of Phi Beta Kappa
- Thomas Jefferson's alma mater
- Most selective U.S. public university
- Third highest SAT scores in the South (only Duke and Rice are higher)
- Highest entering freshman GPAs of any public university (Berkeley is close)
- Fastest growing public university endowment
- Outstanding accounting, biology, chemistry, history and physics departments

As you can see, William & Mary has an amazing academic tradition. Yes, the grading scale is somewhat deflationary and the course offerings are not as extensive as some other schools, but William & Mary is a school high on tradition which doesn't subscribe to fads where everyone graduates cum laude and there is a supermarket of course offerings. The school is committed to the British university model which is human-scale as opposed to other university models which focus on research and increasing enrollments. W&M may not be for everyone but a degree from there has timeless substance, something you can't find from most other U.S. schools which are constantly trying to reposition or recreate themselves.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page