American Univ of Paris - ranking?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: June 2004 Archive: American Univ of Paris - ranking?
By Tasha (Tasha) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 11:36 pm: Edit

What do you think of American University of Paris and AGSIRD (American Graduate School in International Relations and Diplomacy) in Paris?
am desperate to be in paris but wondering what's the reality of getting a good job from doing a master's there?

By Dsh (Dsh) on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 05:52 pm: Edit

Tasha, I went to the American University many years ago, back when it was the American College in Paris, and I worked there for three years in the early 1980s. I don't know anything about AGSIRD (is that part of AUP?), and I don't have any recent experience with the school. However, I know some students have gone on to do very well from there. One I knew went to the London School of Economics for grad school. Another I knew has become a successful economist in Japan. I don't remember where he went to grad school or where he works now, but I know he was a big enough shot to be interviewed on American TV about some economic conditions in Japan a few years ago.

Some of the professors at AUP are top notch. The student body is VERY international. You really meet the whole world going there.

I don't know if top grad schools in the U.S. know much about AUP, but I do think the experience of living in Paris and speaking French are plusses for any application. Also, AUP has some pretty big connections with important ex-patriate Americans and other Americans with an international focus. I don't think you'd go wrong going there.

The only negatives to the school that I know of are lack of dorm facilities, lack of athletics and athletic facilities, and somewhat limited curriculum (but it's much broader and deeper than that of any other American university abroad that I know of).

By Tasha (Tasha) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 02:41 am: Edit

Thanks so much Dsh!! That's really helpful... they're doing a new master's program in IR and that's a joint masters. so basically i would walk away with a double major - one as American degree and the other as a French degree. Sounds tough but I think it would be really useful.

AGSIRD hasn't got anything to do with AUP- actually they say it's admission delaware / paris.

By Dsh (Dsh) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 08:21 am: Edit

It sounds like a great opportunity, and I hope it works out for you. Give my regards to l'avenue Bosquet!

By Tasha (Tasha) on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 01:34 am: Edit

aaahh if I get there I will....hehe... I must say though my family aren't thrilled with me applying for paris as they believe it's not top tier. As for me, I am thinking realistically what are my chances getting into Tufts, georgetown, UGW, or John Hopkins.... and if i get into Paris and then turn them down on the off chance i could get into a top tier, only to find out that i turned down paris and didn't get into top tier would be too much of a bummer for me. bit of a quandary you could say... guess i got to go with my gut feeling!

By Dsh (Dsh) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 05:24 pm: Edit

If it's the same as it was last year, AUP's application deadline is very late. I think it was sometime in May, i.e., long after other schools have responded. If you don't need financial aid, you could apply after you'd heard from other schools. On the other hand, I guess you might risk having the class fill up with earlier applicants. I'm not sure if they notify all applicants after the May deadline or if applicants can get accepted sooner if they apply sooner. Definitely check this out with the school if you're considering it, because I'm not sure what the policy is, and I don't want to steer you wrong.

My son was going to apply to AUP in May if he didn't get into his other choices. He preferred NYU though and got in, so he didn't send AUP the application in the end. NYU was a safer choice for him, since he's never been abroad. Also, he does want to play basketball in college.

If you have reservations about going to AUP, it would be a good idea to visit first, if at all possible. If that's not possible, you might be able to get a sense of the school through one of the alumni associations in the U.S., if they can put you in touch with recent alumni.

By Dsh (Dsh) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 05:29 pm: Edit

I just realized you're talking about applying as a graduate student, whereas my son was going to apply for the undergrad program. Maybe the deadline's different for applications to the graduate program.

By Tasha (Tasha) on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 12:20 am: Edit

You're right, application is late which leaves me in a dilemma. You see, I want to do my Master's this Fall 2004 which AUP would allow. But if I applied for Master's in Georgetown or Tufts, then it would be for next fall 2005.

If i get accepted into AUP, then I would have to make the critical decision between saying no to AUP and hoping to do well in GRE and getting into Georgetown. If I don't get into Georgetown then I would have wasted a year plus not being in my favourite city. That would be a bummer as we say in England!!

Naturally the second battle is to convince my family that I'm doing the right thing to go to Paris. They have aspirations of me being in Harvard or Georgetown. Great, if that was possible...

By Dsh (Dsh) on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 02:02 pm: Edit

Well, it seems to me that if you postponed applying for a year, you could see what all your options for different schools were and make a decision from there. But if getting started immediately is your priority, it sounds like AUP is the place to go.

If the priority is just to be in Paris immediately, maybe you could find another way to finance and spend a year in Paris.

I don't know that much about IR programs, but surely there must be a way to advance beyond the master's, isn't there? Could you perhaps take a master's (and joint French degree--how could that not be a plus?) at AUP and then apply to the big-name U.S. schools for further study if you felt your AUP degree wasn't enough?

I think the ACP--back then it was ACP--student I mentioned before who went to Japan went to graduate school at the Johns Hopkins SIAS program in Bologna, Italy. I expect you could move on from AUP to there (or to SIAS stateside), if there's another degree or professional certificate to pursue beyond your master's.

By Tasha (Tasha) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 11:21 am: Edit

You're brilliant!! Now why didn't I think of that? I asked around at some ppl at a UN organisation and they said that Paris would probably be a better choice in that they need more fluent French speakers. Secondly, like you said, that I could always follow on at a top tier...perhaps Phd or something to that effect...
anyway, I'm feeling a lot more positive now and lot clearer of my direction..!

Can't thank you enough though for all your help and patience...!

By Dsh (Dsh) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 08:14 am: Edit

I'm happy to oblige. Sometimes a sounding board is all you need to sort out your thoughts. Good luck in your exciting endeavor!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page