University of Texas Austin vs. Southern Methodist University

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: June 2004 Archive: University of Texas Austin vs. Southern Methodist University
By Jny78 (Jny78) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 04:46 am: Edit

I've been accepted to both schools as a transfer business major. As a transfer student it is usually very difficult to get into the McCombs business program at UT. Fortunately I was accepted with 58 hours and a 3.87 GPA.

SMU is a good school, but from what I've heard it is not as well known outside of Texas. I have been awarded an honor transfer scholarship of half tuition for up to five semesters as long as I maintain a 3.0 GPA.

SMU tuition and fees will be $14k per year (with the scholarship)
UT tuition and fees will be around $9500

I live in Dallas and have a good job here so SMU is attractive, however UT Austin might look better on a resume.

Any thoughts on these two schools would be appreciated. TIA

By Rtkysg (Rtkysg) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 06:40 am: Edit

SMU is unheard of :) better choose UTA !!

By Mafmaf22 (Mafmaf22) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 09:55 am: Edit

UT has a highly regarded business program, porbably muich better than SMU, plus it is $4500 cheaper, so unless you make that much at your current job your going to save money, plus you can find another good job im sure

By Jny78 (Jny78) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 03:16 pm: Edit

Well it can be difficult to find a job paying betweem $60-80k a year, plus benefits... thus the dilemma.

By Txmommtpbd (Txmommtpbd) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 11:48 pm: Edit

Jny78 -
UTA grad here. Go with SMU, particularly considering the salary you will leave to come to Austin. Your salary will make up the tuition difference. Unlikely you will find that salary here. Additionally, atmosphere at UT is tough and impersonal - not just build your own boat but cut & drag the lumber alone. SMU is known for wanting their grads to succeed. Good luck with your decision!

By Jny78 (Jny78) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 11:01 am: Edit

Txmommtpbd,
Thanks for the information. When I do transfer, I won't be working 40+ hours a week so my salary will drop to about half of what I was making... but my goal is to finish my degree so I won't mind the cut.

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 01:14 pm: Edit

Jny78~

You know how the admission numbers stack up. UT-Business school is one of the most difficult schools to get in while SMU ... well, it is SMU. SMU has been trying to improve its stature but it is still one of the lowest ranked and recognized schools in Texas, and especially for its business degree.

Unless your job situation compels you to stay in Dallas, I think that you would have a real hard time finding benefits in attending SMU. You have the chance to enroll in one of the most prestigious and competitive business programs in the country, you should seize the opportunity.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page