2nd Tier Schools

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: June 2004 Archive: 2nd Tier Schools
By Leaf (Leaf) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 07:27 am: Edit

Name some please (especially those with strong sciences, or at least biology, programs).

At the moment, I have no preference of where the schools are located (but it'll be easier if the schools are on the East Coast)

Thanks!

By Dke (Dke) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 12:48 pm: Edit

I always plug for my alma mater, Wheaton College in Norton, Mass....small, coed, between Boston and Providence...fantastic internship programs, beautiful science center,new incoming president this year, small classes, no SAT requirements, new dorms, gorgeous campus, excellent faculty, and on the 12 college exchange program with AMherst, WIlliams, Dartmouth, Wellesley, Trinity, Wesleyan ,etc...check it out...

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 12:57 pm: Edit

Despite being in 2dn tier, Reed College is one of top producers of percentage of students who go on to receive Ph.ds especially in sciences
http://www.hhmi.org/BeyondBio101/reed.htm

west coast however

By Dke (Dke) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 01:03 pm: Edit

Reed has an excellent reputation......I thought of something else about Wheaton and science......they're on the program with Williams at Mystic Connecticut.....the Maritime Science program which is highly thought of...

By Confused86 (Confused86) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 01:15 pm: Edit

Dke, you sound a lot like someone i know... but you are stating too many facts about Wheaton so you couldn't be my friend in hs...

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 01:19 pm: Edit

Wheaton is a good school, just don't get it mixed up with the Wheaton(IL) where science teachers are forced to teach creationism, specially if you want to do bio.

By Perry (Perry) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 01:30 pm: Edit

Reed is not second tier. They evidently don't provide data to USNWR; hence their lower ranking in the magazine's annual ranking college guide.

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 01:37 pm: Edit

Well I know that but technically when posters are using words like second tier they are referring to the Us News rankings.
I don't like the terms 2nd tier, but while Reed does have very high scores and stats of average students they also will admit students without those numbers if they have other promising qualities

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 01:50 pm: Edit

Some great schools with excellent science programs \(*in no particular order): Lawrence University (Wisc.), Hope College (Michigan), St. Olaf (Minn), Washington College (Maryland), Dickinson College (Pa.), Trinity University (Texas), Southwestern University (Texas), Earlham (Indiana), the College of Wooster (Ohio), Hiram College (Ohio), Knox College (Illinois), Hendrix College (Arkansas), Rhodes College (Tenn), Willamette (Oregon), University of Puget Sound (Washington), Juniata College (PA), Washington and Jefferson (PA), University of Redlands (Calif), Eckerd College (Florida)
University of the Pacific (Calif), University of San Diego (Calif.), Augustana University (Illinois), Goucher College (Maryland), Wheaton College (Mass), Marist College (NY).

By Oldman (Oldman) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 04:06 pm: Edit

For bigger schools how about Georgia, Maryland or Texas? NC State good in engineering.

By Pyewacket (Pyewacket) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 10:44 pm: Edit

Could anyone offer opinions on Goucher vs.Wheaton (MA) vs. Skidmore? My daughter is considering them for "safeties"?

Thanks.

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 10:51 pm: Edit

Skidmore is a pretty selective school. Don't know how much of a safety it is, especially for a female. Of course, I don't know your D's profile either. All three schools are very good--I know kids who have gone to them and are happy with their choices. Having lived in Baltimore for a number of years, I can tell you that the campus at Goucher is gorgeous and you do have relatively easy accessibility to Baltimore and Washington DC with Towson being a nice location. Goucher also has exchange priviliges with Johns Hopkins and there is a shuttle that runs between the two schools regularly.

By Hollaratme (Hollaratme) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 12:12 am: Edit

seton hall

By Dke (Dke) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 10:47 am: Edit

Here I go for Wheaton (Ma.) again....but you asked, Pyewacket....I've never seen Goucher...is it all women?......Wheaton became coed in 1987...still more women than men...being between Boston and Providence is a great location....also remember the 12 college exchange which alot of people take advantage of....a great program....the town of Norton is nothing to write home about if that's important to your daughter..

By Pyewacket (Pyewacket) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 03:14 pm: Edit

Thanks for the input on Goucher/Wheaton. I met someone who had lived in Baltimore who did not want to send their daughter to G. because of Baltimore being "unsafe". Comments?

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 03:23 pm: Edit

None, really. Goucher is in about as safe of as area as any school. It certainly is not in the heart of Baltimore but in the very nice and safe suburb of Towson. Though I have heard issues about Hopkins which is within city limits, I do not feel that it is in a dangerous part of Baltimore. Yes, recently there was a student murdered in the Charles Village area near Hopkins, but I do feel it is an isolated event.There are issues with most city campuses and Baltimore has areas that are not safe. The Hopkins medical school, for instance, is in a dangerous area of Baltimore.

But Goucher is really not a Baltimore city school.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 01:21 pm: Edit

Goucher allows students to take some science courses at Johns Hopkins and has a very strong biology department. In general, Goucher's comparable to Wheaton (it went co-ed about the same time), although Wheaton is more selective and Skidmore more selective still.

By Mini (Mini) on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 01:26 pm: Edit

Earlham, where more than 20% of students are biology majors, there is a huge amount of student-faculty research, and large numbers of students go on to graduate schools.

By Tkdgal (Tkdgal) on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 06:35 pm: Edit

One of my friends is looking into Juniata College in PA because they have a very high med school placement.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page