How should I go about this?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: June 2004 Archive: How should I go about this?
By Crazyandy (Crazyandy) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 11:22 am: Edit

Hey all,

I haven't posted on the boards in awhile but I visit quite frequently, and I know many of you have good advice to offer, so here I am once again seeking guidence.

I chose to attend Virginia Tech this fall. If you ask me why I chose it, i'll give you a blank stare its that simple. I felt that I needed to get away from home in OH, away from the area and those around me. I felt that I deserved a fresh start where no one knew me. But noooooooow I question my logic. i'm an extremely emotional fellow (No i won't deny it) and every time I think about going far away, I get greatly disturbed. I threw away admission to Pitt and WVU, excellent schools closer to home who could have given me what I needed. But no stupid me HAD to follow my dream and head to Virginia ...

So how do I go about this? Mom asked me yesterday, "So now that graduation is over and you have your future planned, do you feel like you made the right decision?" and I just gave her a blank stare. God knows if I tell them how I feel they will DEFINATELY have a cow. Cuz I don't feel like I've made the right decision. The people that I have waited so long to get rid of I now don't wanna part with. at Pitt, or WVU for that matter, I could come home on a weekend, or go out to eat with fam and friends. At VT, It's all new and I'm alone and that just doesn't sound cool all the sudden. So, should i just hide this from those I'm close to, go off, and enjoy my time down South, or should I do something now to prevent a possible disaster in the future?

Thanks for all your help. :-\

CrAzY aNdY

By Floppydee (Floppydee) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 11:50 am: Edit

I don't know how much I can help but, what you are feeling is something like when couples get married and go through "cold feet". Yes you may have picked Virginia for the wrong reasons, but its a great school-and you will meet many new people. I have to say I moved to VA from NY and the people there are a totally different crowd-everyone is so friendly! And with emails and phone calls, cheap flights, etc you can communicate back home more than you think! I think you will be fine with your decision, and if you feel its just "not right" you can always transfer. I don't think anyone will look at you different. Again remember its your life, only you knows what is really the best for you. Good Luck!!

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 01:07 pm: Edit

Floppydee is right,
It's normal to have cold feet after a major decision. You are preparing to go to college, which is probably the first major step in your life that you have made on your own. Of course you are second guessing yourself.

But think about it. What's the worst that can happen? You won't like Va. Tech. And if you don't like it, you can transfer. Meanwhile, you will have experienced another part of the country, and have learned a lot about yourself and about decision making.

By Crazyandy (Crazyandy) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 01:57 pm: Edit

Thanks for the advice, and you know, you are right. Major decisions aren't always fun to make, but it's something that I'll learn to live with. These changes are for the good, and I'll come home a better person in the end.

By Barrons (Barrons) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 04:37 pm: Edit

You made a good choice. Va Tech is a good school with a diverse student body--lots of NJ kids go there now. The others are not diverse nor very interesting. One is full of drunks and the other is a commuter school.

By Interesteddad (Interesteddad) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 04:56 pm: Edit

I don't see any reason to hide your fears from your parents. It's a pretty normal reaction and, most likely, your parents experienced the same feelings themselves.

Having said that, I think that you would be well served to be positive about your big adventure. Running home every other weekend from college isn't really all it's cracked up to be. And, all your high school friends are going to be establishing their new lives, too.

Try linking up with some other VaTech freshman through forums, AIM, or e-mail. Start immersing yourself in what will be a really fun time.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 06:38 pm: Edit

It's perfectly normal to feel anxious about going away from home, branching out on your own for the first time. Just keep in mind that EVERYONE will be feeling the same feelings as you at first.

Life is so full of different roads --- sometimes the way to "go about" something is to just feel the fear, acknowlege it, and then do it anyway.

Good luck!!!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page