Where Should I Apply?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: June 2004 Archive: Where Should I Apply?
By Ubercollegeman (Ubercollegeman) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 02:52 am: Edit

Okay, suppose these are my stats next year around EA/ED time. I'm leaning towards being a mathematics major along with something else. Basically, I'm interested in one of HYPMS to apply EA/ED. I heard MIT has TERRIBLE EA acceptance rates though, so that's kind of out of the question. I was originally leaning towards Stanford (I live in Southern California), but HPY (in that order) look attractive as well. I am not interested in Caltech for EA/ED.

Also, assume that I know a decent amount about these colleges. Don't scream, "APPLY TO MIT, THEY ARE THE BESTEST AT SCIENCE." I'm not an idiot, and I already know the superficial information like that.

Anyway, here's the rundown. Not going to go in detail, but here will be the main things.

SAT I: 1560 (790M/770V), took it once
SAT II: 3 x 800, might add another for 4 x 800 (is there even a difference?)
ACT: Does it really matter? I'm taking it this Saturday and expecting 34-36.
UW GPA: 3.98 (one B, rest A's)
College GPA: 4.00
^Literally more or less the most difficult courseload ever attempted by anyone at our school; about 13 AP's among other things. My most recent would be straight A's Junior year with 6 AP classes.

Taking a combination of upper and lower division math classes. Will have a good amount done by the end of senior year (multivariable, ODE, PDE, number theory, etc).

Writing a research paper on calculus for fun (won't be anything groundbreaking) and submitting it to ISTS. Just doing it more or less for the experience of writing a paper.

Coach of a local MATHCOUNTS team or two.

Member of the Southern California ARML, two time AIME qualifier, etc, etc (didn't make USAMO this year, which I'm sad about :().

President of two clubs at high school.

Will have a pretty good recommendation from calculus teacher, decent recommendation from English teacher (Either top 5% or one of the best ever). Both are AP. On a complete tangent, I don't know why everyone on this board seems to assume that he'll get excellent recommendations. I'm one of the best students in both classes, but I'm not assuming anything.

A few other accomplishments I'm probably not thinking of. Anyway, two things:

a) Where do you think I should apply EA/ED and why?

b) Do I have a decent shot?

Thanks a lot. I'm especially looking forward to input from the parents on the board.

By Ubercollegeman (Ubercollegeman) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 03:50 am: Edit

"Will have a pretty good recommendation from calculus teacher, decent recommendation from English teacher (Either top 5% or one of the best ever). Both are AP. On a complete tangent, I don't know why everyone on this board seems to assume that he'll get excellent recommendations. I'm one of the best students in both classes, but I'm not assuming anything. "

What was I smoking when I wrote that O.O. I think I meant to say "hoping for top 5% or one of the best ever."

By Nigist (Nigist) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 01:31 pm: Edit

Hello,

Since I'm a senior at Stanford I say apply to Stanford early action :>) and then if you don't get in apply to MIT. But I heard that Stanford early action rates are really low so you may be better off applying regular. They don't even defer you like many schools such as Harvard.

MIT looks mostly for high numbers such as near perfect SAT scores highschool grades and stuff like that. I think Stanford is a little weird. They really care about the "uniqueness" part like the essay is really important. You should show them why they would pick you out of everybody else who has your scores. For example, they have rejected this guy who was like 2nd or something on the international chemistry olympiad--he got into MIT though. You can't really tell who will get in where because many people who got into MIT have been rejected from Stanford and vice versa.

So if you have many unique qualities, qualities that you don't think other applicants have or activities that others haven't done, and you think you can show your uniqueness in your essay, apply to stanford early. If you have exceptionally high grades and numbers and competitions etc... apply to MIT early. If you have both, pick your favorite

By Ubercollegeman (Ubercollegeman) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 11:27 pm: Edit

Oh, yeah forgot to mention. I'm an Asian male (not that you probably couldn't tell anyway) :).

By Qwert271 (Qwert271) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 07:26 pm: Edit

I'm in kinda the same boat, but without some of your stuff. How about this: I'll give you some of my advice, then you'll share some of yours with me. OK?

Mine for you: I assume that your sole purpose in posting this is because you want to know where you'll most likely get in. So I'd say go for Harvard. They are more test oriented than any of S, P, or Y, plus you won't be bound like you would be at P. Still, if you decide that you love P, definitely apply ED there because I think they value early apps more than the others. Honestly, I think you'll get in supposing you have very good essays.

Me.

1550 800M
800 x2 with 740 Writ
Terrible rank (12% or so) but it's evident that I don't apply myself (maybe they'd prefer to see that I was genuinely struggling).
Took all of the APs in my school that were viable for me.
Came to US from New Zealand where I lived for 5 yrs though I was born in Minnesota.
Very good recs (what you said).
And the finishing touch: assume that my essays are VERY good *knocking on wood all over the place*. I realize that I have little chance at v. top schools if they're average.
Awards: the usual thing prolly get AIME invite next year (didnt take the AMC this year). Expect 120/7 or so and USAMO is v. unlikely, best math student in school, chem student, other junk.
Regular ECs, but they're on the lacking side relative to this board ie MAth club, com service.
Looking at Stanford, Columbia, Pton, Harvard, Yale, U Chic. Also, I have no matches/safties so far (other than maybe UChic match). Which matchsafties are you gonna apply to?
White male in RI.

By Ubercollegeman (Ubercollegeman) on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 08:14 pm: Edit

Qwert, even if you made USAMO next year, it wouldn't show up until after college applications were already done. Sorry :(.

I don't know the information off the top of my head, but look around some common data sheets or the PR sites for information about colleges that accept students from the top 10%. Try to apply to some that care less about GPA.

I think I will apply to, in order of preference, HSMPYD. Berkeley is a good match/safety for me, especially since I'm in-state.

I think I will end up applying EA to Harvard or Stanford, but I'm having a tough time picking.

Bump for both of us?

By Ubercollegeman (Ubercollegeman) on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 02:04 am: Edit

Bumpo!

I'm really torn between Harvard, Stanford, and Princeton.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page