Tulane's "personality"

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: June 2004 Archive: Tulane's "personality"
By Recordingwater (Recordingwater) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 02:27 am: Edit

Hey.. I am looking at Tulane University as a safety school. It seems pretty cool and everything... big, but not too big, in a really cool city, is fairly well respected. The thing is, I am worried about how the general atmosphere there is. I know that every weekend lots of people party and there are frats and sororities and stuff, which I don't mind that much. I am just wondering if [almost] everyone there is your stereotypical jock or Gucci and LV-toting spoiled daddy's girl, or if that is the general atmosphere on campus.

To give you an idea of what kind of person I am or like to be around.. these are the colleges that I am applying to that seem to have the people I'd like...
Haverford, Macalester, Reed, Carleton, Pomona.

I know Tulane isn't a LAC but it kind of appeals to me, but I wonder if I just would not really like it there at all. If I went there, I am sure I would find my niche of people, but would I be entirely resentful of the rest of the student population?

Hmm yeah.. so basically, I'd just like an idea of the "typical" Tulane kid.

Thanks. =)

By Arizonamom (Arizonamom) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 10:39 am: Edit

I think the typical Tulane student is changing anyways because of the huge amount of merit money they are giving to attract the top students. My son applied as they kept sending him notices such as apply for free, we will tell you in 4 weeks and prefilling out much of the app for him. There is a good honors program as well.He did not end up choosing it in the end but we have some very succesful friends who graduated from there and were quite disappointed he didn't go.A visit is the best way to know if it is a school for you however.

By Recordingwater (Recordingwater) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 10:51 am: Edit

ahh but I'm an international student.. (though I still am a US citizen..) so the option of touring colleges is not quite so open to me. Which is why I'd like an idea (any idea!) of what Tulane is like...

By Oldman (Oldman) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 11:45 am: Edit

Have a niece who was accepted and given merit aid - she chose Emory without the dough. Another girl we know was offered honors and picked Virginia instead. From what I can gather the students tend to be upper middle class and a good # from the North. Fairly big Jewish population. Acacdemics are good, not great. The 5 LAC's you list may be more "intellectual".
For a safety how about a LAC which is less selective? Or maybe a state school with strong academics like Wisconsin, Michigan,etc....

By Chapter322 (Chapter322) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 12:31 pm: Edit

Many people will tell you that college is what you make of it, and it is! So, don't worry about Tulane, it's one of the hottest Ivy backups. But here's the dirt.

Tulane is seen as one of the snootiest Tier 2 colleges in the South. One half is composed of uber-competitive scholarship kids who didn't make the Ivy cut. The other half is filthy rich kids who know that New Orleans IS the ultimate party town.

You would think that any pretention would come from the rich kids, but no, it comes from the scholarship kids who compete for places at the top graduate schools. You would think that the only students partying are the rich kids, but no, it's also the scholarship kids who drink away their Ivy League rejection. But in the midst of all of this something magical happens. That "moon energy" is converted into extreme academic and athletic performance. Tulane's ranking continues to increase. For the most part, everyone is very nice and the faculty will bend over backwards to help a student with anything.

When your four years are up, you realize that you've just had one of the best undergraduate experiences that can be had in the entire U.S. And the job offers are amazing, I always hear that employers find Tulane graduates to be very interesting compared to others from top colleges. Students also have a good shot at the top graduate schools in the country.

By Fiza (Fiza) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 10:15 pm: Edit

You've heard what people who do not personally know Tulane kids have to say, now listen to my bit.

I'm going to attend Tulane next fall. I don't exactly party. Don't plan on getting drunk at all next year. Am not rich (I'm paying for the school not my parents) and did not get the full scholarship either. I'm paying the 5 digit sum for it because i think that the ACADEMICS are worth the money.

They have amazing teachers. Teachers who care. Teachers who have their PHD's from Ivies.

I've met people who both a) attend Tulane or b) will go there next fall. I have met a LOT of Tulanians. Yes, some are spoiled rich brats. But that comes with the territory of any elite southern school [see: Vandy, Duke, Emory, and Wake Forest] and northern schools.

The people are very nice. Yes, many drink and party, but there are those who don't. The academic experience is as hard core as u want to make it. Well it IS pretty hard core [as shown by their drop-out rate].

I've ALREADY met intellectual PJ Harvey fans, politics junkies, science junkies (incl. a girl who turned down Stanford), an intellectual INTERNATIONAL student and just overall nice sweet people.All types of people who are going to Tulane
Everybody seems nice and down to earth.

Okay so you're liberal. So am I. So is the PJ Harvey fans and all those who are part of the College Democrats.

There arent too many "spoiled daddy's lil girls". Only 33% are part of sororities. This number is slightly high because sometimes an entire hall thats part of a residential hall will all pledge to one.

Only 20% are in Frats.

This leaves the rest of the population to not be part of "that crowd".

Lastly, yes, the colleges u listed are fairly strong academically. Tulane may not be quite as rigorous. BUT Tulane has many things those schools don't have such as an active social scene and a vibrant city.

Find out more information about it. You might actually end up liking it ;)

By Chapter322 (Chapter322) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 10:33 pm: Edit

Fiza wrote: "You've heard what people who do not personally know Tulane kids have to say, now listen to my bit."

Um...actually, I live an hour away from Tulane and many of the kids from my highschool(and other surrounding private schools) either make it to the Ivy League or they go to Tulane. I have good friends at Tulane who are rising juniors, sophomores, and soon to be freshmen. So, I have a pretty good idea of what the school is like. I have been visiting the school since I was in 9th grade, so... just giving my point of view. I hope that's cool, I'm not trying to make enemies before my first day of college or anything.

By Fiza (Fiza) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 11:22 pm: Edit

Chapter: Nah its all good. I wasn't looking to start anything. Guess I was just upset about people talking negatively about my future home (hence the long post). I didn't want the OP to hear about the "bad" people who attend the college and not the people who I've met who are truly amazing.

By Recordingwater (Recordingwater) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 10:59 am: Edit

Thanks guys.. any more opinions on Tulane? I wanna know both the good and bad sides of it. All thoughts are welcome...!

(please tell me more. haha.)

By Dzleprechaun (Dzleprechaun) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 01:06 pm: Edit

There's so much easily available booze in N'awlins that living anywhere else seems like a police state. I don't even look 18, much less 21, and I had 0 problems with it. The whole local economy seems to run off of alcohol, as demonstrated by the numerous "Locals Drink Taaka" billboards.

By Jersey220 (Jersey220) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 02:28 pm: Edit

Tulane has a lot of cool people. While I decided to go elsewhere, the one thing that kept pulling me towards Tulane are the people I met on my visit. If my decision was purely a social life decision, I'd go to Tulane in a second. The great thing about the school is that many people are coming from far away. Usually there aren't more than a handful of people that come from the same high schools. You might know one or two other people there before you go, so when you get there, you will bond with people immediately because everyone else is in the same position. This isn't first hand experience. It is more theoretical. Anyway, the people I met there are great.

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 03:45 am: Edit

I'm going to Tulane this fall.

Recordingwater, You have precisely the same concern I do. I also applied to Pomona and would have applied to more LAC like the ones you mentioned except they are too small. So yeah, that's also the kind of crowd I like.

Anyways, my fears of being overrun by sorrority girls and non-intellectual partiers have been eased by the cool people I've been meeting who have the same concerns I do as they head into Tulane.

So, I'm sure (or I hope) there will be a lot of LAC types and intellecutal sometimes-partiers at Tulane. I know I'll be there!

From what I hear Tulane is very diverse. I reccomend you check out the Tulane thread in the Individual Schools board. You'll find a lot of the cool people I'm talking about who frequent it, including Fiza (who continually cheers me up about my Tulane prospects by the way)

p.s. A friend of mine from Pomona raved about the "chill people he met at Tulane"

Jersey: were the cool people you met the LAC type
Recording was talking about?

By Jersey220 (Jersey220) on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 09:28 pm: Edit

I wouldn't know what the LAC type is, the smallest school I applied to was about 5000-6000 undergrads. LACs are probably not as relaxed as Tulane. Anyway, Most of the people I hung out with had the work hard, play hard mentality, and most had the ability to maintain an intelligent conversation. Everyone was friendly and helped me get accustomed to Tulane and NO. That's the type of people I met there. I don't know if I was hanging with a different crowd because it was honors weekend but these people were cool.

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 03:32 am: Edit

"granola" types, instead of "preppy" types is I guess the LAC type.

Don't ya just love categories? :) eek

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 03:25 am: Edit

bump

By Alongfortheride (Alongfortheride) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 10:55 am: Edit

Chapter 322, I respect your opinions, but hesitate to classify Tulane as a school full of ivy rejects. Lots of students will head there as it is a great fit. The admissions story at Tulane is changing on a yearly basis. As for the scholarship kids being the pretentious ones, perhaps it is that they are having to work hard not only to maintain their scholarships, but also to maintain the high GPA required to stay in or qualify for the honors program. My son chose Tulane over other honors programs he was accepted into because of the outstanding undergraduate experience that you mentioned. The professors being so accessible, etc. And certainly the exchange of ideas with students like you, Fiza, and Argilopsychi is going to keep it interesting!

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 09:41 pm: Edit

bump

By Concerneddad (Concerneddad) on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 10:43 am: Edit

I have to agree with Alongfortheride. My son chose Tulane over Wash. U., Wesleyan and Pomona. His friend chose Tulane over Wash. U., Emory and Carniege-Mellon. Very hard to classify those kids as rejects of any sort.

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 11:59 pm: Edit

bump

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page