Where should I consider?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: June 2004 Archive: Where should I consider?
By Cmg_Ridley (Cmg_Ridley) on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 07:00 pm: Edit

My activities are 2 years on literary magazine staff, became literary editor second year, 2 years on student senate, became secretary second year, wrote for newspaper, became news editor, i've won several awards for my writing, placed first and third in the county science fair, foreign language honor society for spanish 1-5, national honor society, 2 year member of another writing club, next year my friends and I are trying to form an "intellectual" magazine for the school. I plan to major in Spanish Literature, I'm ranked 10/509 in my class, 3.8 unweighted gpa, ap us history junior year, next year ap literature, biology, chemistry, and spanish, currently 1190 on sat, hoping to pull it up to 1370 by october or november. Where should I consider? Currently I'm thinking of schools like colby and swarthmore.

By Cmg_Ridley (Cmg_Ridley) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 10:10 am: Edit

um bump? i'd really appreciate suggestions

By 1214 (1214) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 10:19 am: Edit

brown, yale, sarah lawrence, hampshire ???

By Collegeparent (Collegeparent) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 12:12 pm: Edit

Kenyon, Hamilton, Colby, Dickinson, Goucher, Denison, Furman, Sarah Lawrence, Connecticut College, Oberlin, Bard, Skidmore, Colorado College, Occidental, among others can be looked at.

Middlebury, Bowdoin, Brown, Pomona, Amherst, Wesleyan, Vassar, Davidson, Haverford, Emory, Tufts, if you get your SATs up into the 1400s.

By Cmg_Ridley (Cmg_Ridley) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 03:22 pm: Edit

anyone else? i'm trying to categorize colleges into reaches, matches, and safeties based on sats in the upper 1300 range

By Madness (Madness) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 03:38 pm: Edit

good EC's, class ranking & GPA, but your SAT's should come up. are you a URM or spanish-speaking or 1st-generation? otherwise...

reach's: brown, yale, haverford, wesleyan, amherst, pomona, middlebury, bowdoin, tufts, davidson, vassar, colby

match's: hamilton, colgate, emory, sarah lawrence, kenyon, oberlin, bard, bates

safety's: CT college, skidmore, furman, lafayette

By Mini (Mini) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 03:44 pm: Edit

Why not go to the West Coast, where native Spanish speakers are much more common, where there are more bilingual jobs, Spanish language publications to write for, and contacts to be made? Scripps (if you shirk Y chromosomes) or Occidental might be good choices - but I'm sure there are others.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 07:40 pm: Edit

What type of school are you looking for? Do you want a small, medium or large school? Do you prefer lots of small classes or large lectures? A school where most people live in campus housing or not? A school with a lot of diversity? A school associated with a particular religion? Does climate matter to you? Do you prefer an urban, rural, suburban area or have no preference? Do you have a geographic preference? Will you need financial aid? Do you want a school where there's a big fraternity/sorority scene? What other activities interest you?

Without the answers to these questions, it's pointless for anyone to try to suggest colleges for you.

By Cmg_Ridley (Cmg_Ridley) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 08:37 pm: Edit

I think I want a smaller school with 5000 or less so that classes can be smaller. Residential campus is best. I don't want any extremely diverse schools or any religious affiliation. i hate winter, but i'd much rather stay in the northeast/mid atlantic area, probably as far west as ohio and as far south as virginia. I will definitely need financial aid, i come from a middle class family, i'm not big on fraternities or hardcore partying, but i don't want that to deter me if it's a good school, i'd probably like to continue my involvement with either a newspaper or literary magazine. i hope that specifies it enough.

By Reidmc (Reidmc) on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 02:22 am: Edit

Prep for your SAT retake and try: Kenyon (Greeks here but not a big deal), Bates and Connecticut College (you don't need to submit your SAT Is at the latter two.) Less selective: try Skidmore and Dickinson (frats and sororities here too, more influential than at Kenyon but do not dominate social scene.)

Swarthmore very tough for you without a BIG bump in your test scores. You can keep Colby in the mix with a reasonable increase.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 12:58 pm: Edit

Reid's suggestions are very good. Dickinson is also an SAT optional school so if yours don't go up as much as you like, you may consider that option. You can find other schools where SATs are optional at www.fairtest.org.

Also take a look at Gettysburg (www.gettysburg.edu)and Washington College (www.washcoll.edu) in Maryland - both have excellent writing/English programs, great overall academics, and give very good financial aid. Gettysburg, like Kenyon, has a well-respected literary magazine.

Washington College is a school that is currently very under-rated but is on the rise (and they give out the largest undergrad writing prize in the country - this year's winner walked away with $56,000!!)They are very generous with financial aid. With your current SATs, both schools would be matches for you. If your SATs get up into the 1300's, they'd both be excellent safeties.

Other options might include: Goucher (MD), the College of Wooster (Ohio), Denison (Ohio), Mary Washington College (Virginia), St. Mary's College of Maryland (not a religious school - it's actually a public liberal arts school), Wheaton in Mass. (good alternative to Skidmore), Alfred (NY), Bennington (VT), Manhattanville (NY), Hobart & William Smith (NY), Wittenberg (Ohio), Muhlenberg (PA), Trinity College (CT), Sarah Lawrence (NY), Bard (NY), Manhattanville (NY). With your current scores, most of these schools would be matches, a few might be safeties.

If you do get your SATs up, also look at: Oberlin (Ohio), Wesleyan (CT), Vassar(NY) and Haverford (PA).

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page