School with strong psychology programs?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: June 2004 Archive: School with strong psychology programs?
By 0atmeal (0atmeal) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 07:49 pm: Edit

Are there any undergraduate schools with worthwhile psych programs?

By Abrandel05 (Abrandel05) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 08:59 pm: Edit

sure but it really depends what area in psych your talking about it. If your not sure there are plenty of schools with all around good programs but itd be good to know if you had any specific interests?

By Arizonamom (Arizonamom) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 09:37 pm: Edit

Do a search. There were some good lists floating around a while back-few months ago I believe-many schools offer great psych programs.

By Chocoman (Chocoman) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 09:40 pm: Edit

My GC has a book listing the colleges with the top programs in each field. I have a copy of the psychology one.

Here's some of the more well known ones

Amherst, Bates, Brandeis, Bryn Mawr, UC Berkely, UCLA, UC San Deigo, Colby, Chicago, Columbia, Claremont McKenna, Duke, Emory, Georgetown, Grinnell, Harvard, Lafayette, Macalester, Michigan, NYU, UNC, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Penn, Pitzer, Pomona, Reed, Rutgers, Stanford, Swarthmore, Tufts, Vassar, Virginia, Wesleyan, Williams and Yale, among others.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 11:33 pm: Edit

What are your GPA and SAT scores like? No sense recommending schools if you can't get into them - there are plenty of good psychology schools at different levels of admissions competitiveness.

By Iflyjets (Iflyjets) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 11:43 pm: Edit

I responded to this same question on another thread a couple of months ago (probably the same thread that Arizonamom is referring to). Just about every school will provide the basic requirements to pursue graduate study in psych, albeit some offer more in-depth preparation. Part of selecting the school should be based on the more specific field of psych you are interested in (say, for example, cognitive psych vs. clinical psych vs. developmental psych). Chocman's list above is great; I would, however, remove Georgetown from that list, but add the University of Rochester and the University of Florida (among many state schools, including UCSB) and even Carnegie-Mellon (for any form of neuroscience/psych).

By Masterchris (Masterchris) on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 12:40 am: Edit

Stanford is supposed to be the best for psycology, with some pretty famous teachers who teach intro courses and seminars.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page