Transfer chances for athlete?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: June 2004 Archive: Transfer chances for athlete?
By Ncm1985 (Ncm1985) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 05:55 pm: Edit

I just finished a year at Lehigh University and ended up with a 3.3 cum GPA in their business school. I joined a sorority, accounting club and was chosen to be a peer mentor for incoming frosh next year.
I am looking to transfer. I want a smaller school where I can take advantage of more opportunities (I miss all I was involved in during HS)
I attended a top public school in NJ
SAT I- Math 730 Verbal 670
SAT II- Math IIC- 740 Writing-670 Physics-630
3.9 Weighted, took honors all throughout HS, 5 AP's senior year (we could only take them senior year)
President of community service club, student council, hospital volunteer, 8 varsity letters, volunteered coaching younger kids, won a national Constitutional Debate award in Wash DC (debate team captain), schools NJSIAA scholar athelete, etc
Great recs, great ECs, average essays

I excelled in lacrosse, and was recruited by multiple schools. I refused to look at the LAC schools even though my dad strongly encouraged them. I took official visits at Colgate, HC, Bucknell and Lehigh, and chose Lehigh. I had the lax talent to play at any of the LAC (Williams Amherst Midd Trinity etc). However I applied ED to Lehigh. This is kind of a side note... but my best friend died one week before senior year started, therefore my senior year was very difficult (it involved going to counselors and being treated for depression), considering we were involved in all of the same activies, etc. I was also afraid of rejection at colleges (I had looked at UVA, W&M, Wash & Lee, Gtown, other better schools). Therefore I took the easy route out, and applied ED to Lehigh (I knew from the coach I was definitely accepted as soon as I took my official visit). I was just relieved to not have to think about college anymore.
so I played lacrosse at Lehigh all fall up until two weeks into the spring season when I decided to quit, I was pledging a sorority (I think I got too involved in the social scene) and I wasn't into all the time committment lax required. Now I am looking to transfer to a
smaller school, but I was wondering what my chances were. I feel confident I had a good shot at these schools right out of high school
(using lax to boost my application??) but was wondering with my college grades, and the fact that I quit lax at Lehigh. I have written to all the coaches at the schools I am interested and hope to discuss things further with them. I feel it would be to my advantage to sit down with an admissions officer during an interview to explain my situation because my grades and everything seem a little sketchy. Williams is my top choice followed by Midd Trinity Hamilton Amherst. Does anyone have any advice/reccomendations/anything? You can be realistic in telling me my chances. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

By Kimfuge (Kimfuge) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 06:43 pm: Edit

Yeah, Williams and Amherst are great schools to play sports. How did your friend die? Never really had someone that close die in my whole life. Just friggin old people who passed away really peacefully.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page