Best history programs at the ivys?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: June 2004 Archive: Best history programs at the ivys?
By Newt (Newt) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 12:47 pm: Edit

I'm planning on majoring in history. Does anyone have an opinion on which ivys offer the best history programs?

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 12:56 pm: Edit

Yale, Columbia and the University of Pennsylvania have excellent history programs. But, really, all of the Ivy's have good history departments, so I'd suggest you worry more about finding the schools that are the best fit for you in other ways.

By Noodleman (Noodleman) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 02:50 pm: Edit

Not an Ivy, but UVA is great. So is William and Mary.

By Viperlad (Viperlad) on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 11:12 pm: Edit

Any opinions on which is better for history (in terms of the academic program, not school rep)-- William and Mary or UPenn? How about International Relations? I know both are great schools, and the difference is probably negligible, but i'm just curious about what people think...

By Aginsberg2 (Aginsberg2) on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 11:20 pm: Edit

The best thing about W&M's history dept is colonial american history. With that it ranks 2nd to Yale. Otherwise, it is not comparable to UPENN's.

By Undecided086 (Undecided086) on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 11:21 pm: Edit

Well William & Mary is only located in the epitome of American History (Williamsburg), colonial history, so I think William & Mary not only has a great history program but also is in the centre of it.

By Gianscolere (Gianscolere) on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 11:24 pm: Edit

i'm tempted to say princeton

By Viperlad (Viperlad) on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 11:32 pm: Edit

Besides colonial american history (which i'm not interested in), why wouldn't it be comparable to UPenn's? Elaborate...

As far as location, the colonial atmosphere gets old after a while. The history classes are great, i just want to make sure i'm not trading good, small (~30) classes for large TA run classes with a hundred people in them (although i know intro classes are like this everywhere).

By Adxj220 (Adxj220) on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 09:20 am: Edit

it's history at the undergrad level, for god's sake.
Any school w/ a humanities focus in the top 50 will be able to offer you all the resources and classes you could possibly want. It is true that all of the ivy's have good history departments. The only thing you should worry about is wether the school (ivy or top 50) has a adequate humanities focus. obviously don't look at tech or science-based schools.

W&M--w/ a great liberal arts focus--certainly compares with Penn, and very well. It's not as if Penn offers anything that W&M doesn't on the undergrad level. Even faculty-wise, they are similar (for undergrad). They are both excellent

However, Penn probably offers a more varied curriculum, because it's a larger university. This is true in general, that bigger universities will offer a greater variety of courses, although not neccessarily greater quality.

By Scubasteve (Scubasteve) on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 09:30 am: Edit

To the internation relations question,
Tufts probably has the best international relations program in the country

By Viperlad (Viperlad) on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 11:18 am: Edit

Well, I guess what I really wanted to know was class size (for Penn). But you are right, Adxj220, it's probably pointless comparing the two at the undergrad level.

By Mahajan2005 (Mahajan2005) on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 11:50 am: Edit

I heard at Stanford the Kennedy School of Government has an awesome history program that is joint with it.

By Jab93 (Jab93) on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 02:23 pm: Edit

The J.F. Kennedy School of Government is at Harvard,
not Stanford.

By Mahajan2005 (Mahajan2005) on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 05:25 pm: Edit

yeah, lol, sorry
i was confusing it with prof. d. kennedy AT Stanford

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page