Do UCs have any scholarships for international applicants?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: June 2004 Archive: Do UCs have any scholarships for international applicants?
By Binarystar (Binarystar) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 03:10 am: Edit

Are there any scholarships that the UCs offer for which international students would be eligible?

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 11:40 am: Edit

If you need financial aid, don't even look at the UC's. Very, very limited aid is available for SOME internationals at SOME UC campuses, but what little is available is mostly at the graduate level. Because of the California budget crisis, you can expect it to be even more difficult to get the limited aid that's available in the next few years. And, keep in mind that non-resident fees/living expenses have been raised significantly and will continue to rise in the next few years, also due to the budget issues. Right now, the UC system estimates the cost of attending as an international to be over $33,000 a year (plus costs of staying here in the summer). Here's the link to read all about it:
http://www.ucop.edu/pathways/infoctr/ips/ipsfinance.html#assist

By Karakter (Karakter) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 05:42 pm: Edit

Yes, I agree with Carolyn. You have a better chance for scholarships at private universities, even if you apply to the really prestigious schools.
The only large scholarship that you would be elligible for at UC would be "the chancellor scholarship," which is super competitive and is rarely awarded to an international student.

Good luck.

By Karakter (Karakter) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 05:42 pm: Edit

Yes, I agree with Carolyn. You have a better chance for scholarships at private universities, even if you apply to the really prestigious schools.
The only large scholarship that you would be elligible for at UC would be "the chancellor scholarship," which is super competitive and is rarely awarded to an international student.

Good luck.

By Binarystar (Binarystar) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 09:59 pm: Edit

Yes I am aware. I am applying to Harvard, Yale, Princeton, MIT, and some LACs as well. It's just that UC Berkeley has been one of my favorite schools, and it saddens me that I can't go there because of money problems. I am going to apply for the "Chancellor Scholarship" though... can't hurt to try, right?

By Karakter (Karakter) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 12:06 am: Edit

No it definitely won't hurt, and you may even get it; however, it is sad that you cannot get support to attend UCB as do so many others. I had a friend who got in UCB, but because of money couldn't enroll. Sadly, one semester, in instructional fees only, costs over $10,000 for int'l students now, and it's gotten a lot more competitive than in the past. I feel that international students have a better chance at private schools at this point. The difference didn't use to be this big.

My story is that I applied to UCB, UCLA, NYU, Georgetown, Cornell and Stanford (as an undergrad international transfer student from a community college). I got accepted to all the schools, but UCB deferred me for Spring because of the impacted academics and budget cuts. I got no money from UCB and UCLA, but I got scholarships from all the private schools. Although each case is peculiar to the applicant, I'm not sure if this says anything about the admission chances/scholarships at UCB for this time. There's always loans, but I know it's scary to do it that way. You should definitely give it a shot and let's hope it'll work out.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page