Washington and Lee?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: June 2004 Archive: Washington and Lee?
By Gameguy56 (Gameguy56) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 12:31 pm: Edit

I've heard nothing about this place except for the mail they send me. It looks like a charming LAC in a small Virginia Town. But does anyone know more about this school?

By Madness (Madness) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 02:04 pm: Edit

well, the 1st thing that caught my eye about this school was its 99th percentile selectivity rating in princeton's review, and i was like...WHAT?!?!? that's ivy league. so i know it's got a great location, good reputation, amazing academics...but REALLYREALLYREALLY hyper-conservative. if that's your thing.

By Bigtymer2454 (Bigtymer2454) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 03:26 pm: Edit

i know that they have either the most or second most alumni as heads of Fortune 500 comapnies if that means anything

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 10:31 pm: Edit

I'm headed to the law school in August. The undergrad campus is beautiful. It does seem as if they have a very strong alumni network, as well as very successful alums. In some ways, it is similar to Williams: rural location, lovely campus, talented student body, very loyal alums, small class sizes.

VMI is in the same town - right next door. Lexington is in the mountains of Virginia - very scenic. The town itself is small, about 8,000 people. Not many people save for students. Lexington itself isn't too small - there is a drive-in theatre, acting troupe, many restaurants, lots of things like kayaking, canoeing, horseback riding (Virginia Horse Center is in the town), hiking, a Wal-Mart, a Krogers, CVS, that sort of thing. Now, Lexington and Buena Vista (town next door) really are the biggest towns around... which means that the nearest mall is an hour away... nearest Target, an hour away, you get the point.

I've heard that W&L is conservative, but I don't think that it is significantly more conservative than the general population. That does make it very conservative by college standards. W&L started accepting women in 1986, I think.

I did hear that the undergrads were rated among the top 10 happiest students. When I walked through the town, I saw a lot of them in houses (frats and sororities - but lovely and quiet) playing badmitton on the lawns.

Head over to the Indiv. Schools thread, Top LACs, and search for W&L.

By Oldman (Oldman) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 09:13 pm: Edit

Conservative, white,southern kids....gets some of the better students from around here (Alabama). Alumni very keen on it. Scenic state.

By Willywonka (Willywonka) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 10:20 pm: Edit

I'm very excited to apply to W&L this fall. In fact, it's probably my "# 1." I'm a little worried about the emphasis that they seem to place on extracurricular activities during the admissions process because mine aren't as impressive as they could be, but I can wish.

I found out about the school through the College Board and Princeton Review advanced searches. W&L came back as my most compatible on both sites (although I was sad to see PR mark it as a reach).

It really does seem like an extremely happy place to be.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page