Undergrad. Pharmacy Schools

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: June 2004 Archive: Undergrad. Pharmacy Schools
By Dimagurinsky (Dimagurinsky) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 10:05 pm: Edit

Hi Everybody,
My name is Dmitry and I am from Northern New Jersey. I currently attend Bergen County Academies and am in the "Academy for the Advancement of Science and Technology". My high school is an advanced, magnet school that, needless to say, has been very challenging. Anyway, let me cut to the chase:
I am interested in going into Pharmacy and have done considerable research into schools with very good pharmacy programs. My stats are:
-1350 SAT (710 math)....but it will go up come the results from this saturday's test
-4 AP's by the end of high school (Calc AB, Chem., Bio., Stats)---no results of any yet..oh and just to note, my high school does not offer many ap's because the teachers "refuse to teach to the test"
-My school has a strict, no rank policy (because they assert that most kids who go to this school would undoubtedly be in the top 10 percent of their local town high schools)
-My GPA is about 3.6 unweighted...no weights in my school meaning if i get a b in an ap class it counts as 3.0...
-I've had 3 years of Chemistry( and will have my fourth senior year), 3 years of Physics, and 3 years of Bio.
-Every course I've taken except for electives is Honors and is noted as such on my report card...this includes such classes as US hist., World hist., world lit., Spanish, etc.
-I've also taken good electives such as pharmacology, pathology, and zoology
-starting senior year I'll be interning at the local hospital in the Pharmacy department
Thats pretty much it. I'm very prepared for a career in Pharmacy, but I want to know what schools to look at. I noticed on a website that some rankings for good undergrad pharmacy schools include UC-San Fran., UTexas, UMBC, Ukentucky...etc. I'm from New Jersey and prefer a school on the east coast for a moderate price. At first I thought Rutgers would be a good choice, but after this new STD epidemic and a lot of other technicalities, I'm erasing it from my list.
If anyone could give me information about some schools to take a good look at, please do so. Thank you very much.
-Dmitry Gurinsky

By Alan5 (Alan5) on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 09:46 am: Edit

In Massachusetts:

UMass Amherst, Northeastern, Mass College of Pharmacy.

By Irishbird (Irishbird) on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 10:11 am: Edit

Check out Temple University & University of the Sciences, both in Philadelphia.

By Newton_Jin (Newton_Jin) on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 12:17 pm: Edit

I am not sure Dmitry, but I do not believe UC San Francisco offers any undergraduate degrees. It is for graduates only. But you have to double check that one.

By Barrons (Barrons) on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 02:38 pm: Edit

Get outta Jersey--Go to Wisconsin.

http://www.pharmacy.wisc.edu/

By Lenk58 (Lenk58) on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 05:25 pm: Edit

Northeastern is a tier 3 school. You can do better. They have already gone deeop into their waitlist in order to fill spots.

By Alan5 (Alan5) on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 10:13 pm: Edit

LOL, Lenk you sound like a broken record. If you're going to continue your constant bashing of NEU, you could at least come up with something new to say. It's obvious that you are still very upset about your rejection letter.

By Lenk58 (Lenk58) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 06:08 pm: Edit

lan it's funny that you think I would apply to a tier 3 school. I am attending Villanova and you can see that from all of my posts. I would certainly not have been rejected by NEU, they are already taking from their waitlist.

By Toblin (Toblin) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 04:01 pm: Edit

Unless your parents have money to burn check out the Rutgers School of Pharmacy. It's one of their tougher programs but it is also raked very high.

By Dimagurinsky (Dimagurinsky) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 09:20 pm: Edit

I heard a rumor that nowadays you need like a 1300+ sat minimum to get into most of these (better)programs because of competition. Is there anyone out there who can tell me what kind of grades, scores, and things you need to get into one of the better programs (i.e. Rutgers) and what my chances are? Thanks

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page