How do these English unis rate in America?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: June 2004 Archive: How do these English unis rate in America?
By English_Girl (English_Girl) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 10:48 am: Edit

Hey. I was wondering what the general reputation of the following universities is in the US:

University of York
University of Nottingham
University of Warwick
University of Birmingham
University of Exeter
University of East Anglia (Norwich)

They all have decent reputations over here (especially the first three) but I was interested to see what people think of them in America.

By Adxj220 (Adxj220) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 12:15 pm: Edit

Unusual for any of those to be recognized around here, except York and Warwick among those w/ an international perspective. I heard about them when I applied to some UCAS schools. Everyone here has heard of Oxford, many of Cambridge, some of LSE, a few of Imperial, and very few of UCL, Warwick, St. Andrews, and places like that. Generally, people don't look outside the US for colleges, unless you come from an international background.

So, to sum it up, I wouldn't say that they are known over here--but you might bump into the occassional person or academic who has. I'm sure they have decent acadmic reputations, although it would somewhat difficult to apply to American grad schools from them.

By English_Girl (English_Girl) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 12:36 pm: Edit

Ok, thanks. I didn't think many people in America would know them. It's like over here, the only American unis people know are places like Harvard, Yale, Princeton (they're the main ones anyway). The thing is, I don't want to go to a London uni (as I've lived here all my life) and Oxbridge is probably a bit out of reach for me.

By Baltodad (Baltodad) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 01:21 pm: Edit

Actually, for 99.9% of the American population, it's Oxford and Cambridge. Period.

I take that back.... A substantial percentage have never heard of those two either. In case you didn't know, many Americans have an incredibly narrow awareness of the world.

By English_Girl (English_Girl) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 01:34 pm: Edit

Baltodad - yes I was aware of that but I don't want to make any enemies on here! My geography teacher was saying that like 56% of American teenagers don't know where South America is. I do find that hard to believe though.

By Harpgirl27 (Harpgirl27) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 01:55 pm: Edit

I've heard of all of them, but I'm definitely in the minority around here.

By English_Girl (English_Girl) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 01:57 pm: Edit

How come you've heard of them all? I didn't think anyone would have done! Which ones do you think are the best or at least the most well respected?

By Adxj220 (Adxj220) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 04:31 pm: Edit

I seriously doubt that 56% number. In fact, I'm quite sure it's untrue. South America is south of america after all.

How are columbia, MIT and stanford regarded over there? I'm debating between trinity college, cambridge and columbia--but I'm a little apprehensive about having to adjust to British culture.

By English_Girl (English_Girl) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 04:40 pm: Edit

I didn't think it could be true either. My teacher has a tendency to exaggerate! MIT and Stanford are probably a bit more well known than columbia (although Columbia is in the Ivy League so it's well respected). I think Cambridge is considered better over here though, and is seen as being on par with Harvard and Yale. Do you have any specific worries about the english culture? I'm worried about spending in year in USA too

By Adxj220 (Adxj220) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 07:01 pm: Edit

I guess I'm just worried about the culture shock, getting to know people, etc. It doesn't help that there are no Americans at Cambridge. i don't know if this is true, but I also get the sense that Americans are a little more relaxed and casual, even more open-minded (at least in the northeast). It just seems a little more dynamic and active around here. But then again, I'm used to life here--who knows?

what are your worries about American culture?

By English_Girl (English_Girl) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 07:12 pm: Edit

I'm not sure exactly. It's just little things that I'm worried about. Like being thousands of miles from home in a foreign country where I don't know anyone. There seems to be less 'mixture' over there, if that's the right word. Like California unis have like a 94% in state population. Over here, people from all over the country go to the same uni. And from what I've heard, Americans can be rather ignorant with regards to what's going on outside their own country. And there's stupid things like not being able to go to football (soccer) games, and American's having a different sense of humour to us. I dunno. I think I'm just being picky. I don't have that many worries, otherwise I wouldn't think about going.

With regards to your problems, the British do have a kind of moaning, traditional attitude towards things. But that's not everyone. I think people are quite open minded. There's very little racial or sexual discrimination over here anymore. I also get the sense of a more collective feel to the UK. Probably because it's smaller. The USA seems pretty spilt into different states, whereas we have counties here but they don't mean anything at all. I can't even name most of them!

By Pimpdaddy (Pimpdaddy) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 08:36 pm: Edit

just curious, how is princeton regarded over there?

By Sploosh (Sploosh) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 08:43 pm: Edit

English Girl, I don't think the differences in culture will be such a big barrier for you. It depends on what state you decide to go to. Each coast is very liberal, but in the deep south and mid-west there are often very close-minded inividuals (outside of the major cities). Most of my friends are immigrants to this country, so I learn about different cultures very easily(not to mention the home cooked meals from around the world).
P.S.
I'm a high school student in New York and I can tell you where South America is ;) . I'd like to know where these people get these statistics....100% of the people I know have a basic knowledge of a map...

By Harpgirl27 (Harpgirl27) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 08:48 pm: Edit

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
How come you've heard of them all? I didn't think anyone would have done! Which ones do you think are the best or at least the most well respected?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I took a trip to England with my orchestra and asked questions about english universities. I also have some good friends who are over here from England on green cards and are going to be attending university in England.

Definitely I'd say York and Warwick are the most respected, but Nottingham is also recognized and respected. I've heard of the others in passing either at colleges fairs or during my trip to England, but I'm not sure how the culture in general would view them.

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 10:10 pm: Edit

eh California is like its own country. plenty of different lands. Northern California and Southern California are like two different lands. Then you've got the mountains, the beach, the forrest, the dessert, i'm telling you..it could be its own country.

University of Liverpool rules, because my british friend is going there.

By Aeolus (Aeolus) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 10:24 pm: Edit

I would recommend the University of York. The university has a strong reputation and the town is just simply lovely. York is an ancient walled city and the York Minster and the Shambles are not to be missed. My friend who went there had a great time and a great education.

By Pdoran (Pdoran) on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 05:39 am: Edit

The Thing I notice about England is thta there is a suprising number of schools that arent tremendou uni's but have great depts. in certain subjects. Moreover, I believe there are many universities that are rgeat qualoity teaching, with great academics; the main difference, therefore, is the quality of the studetns, and it is that which - in the end - determines a school reputation, since student accepatance is rooted in a eitist class system and historical superiority. It is upon such sentiment that our govt is considering scrapping our degree classifications, because they sound classists; being as the are 1st class, 2.1 class ete etc, in favour of the GPA system. Moreover, in any of the good unis listed, 67% of students will achiebe a 2.1 grade, with about 8% getting a first and 20% getting a 2.2. It would therefore make sense if a greater dgeree of distinction between candidates could be introduced.

For you english girl, I would recommend the top 4 on your list, though it would be useful to know what subject you are studying. Exeter is one of those unis with the name but not the academic quality to back it up. It has been declinging for years, yet it keeps it entry standards higher than, say, East anglia, even though the latter is a better institution now. For the other 4, it is worth noting that York has excellent teaching. In the QAA surveys it actually outguns Oxford, and falls short only to Cambridge. Notthingham and warwick are both quite similar, but it should be noted that warwicj is nearer to Coventry - whcih is a craphole - wjhereas Nottingham has a lovely campus, though, again, the city has one of the highest gun crime rates in England.

In response to the other questions about US reptutations here, I would say this:

The most famous are Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford, Notre Dame. Few will have heard of MIT, not that many of Columbia either , nor of Cornell and other ivys. Princeton is known with the help of carlton off the fresh prince of Bel Air (LOL), whereas Harvard and Yale everyone has heard of, and Notre Dame is known because of crap teen movies etc. I myself could name probaly more US unis thatn most yanks, but I am a freka and exception to the rule. I think some will have hear dof Penn too, for the same reason as notre Dame.

By English_Girl (English_Girl) on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 08:20 am: Edit

I know what you mean about Exeter. To study English it's asking for three A's, and places like York (which is rated 2nd in the country for English) only want AAB. UEA is on my list mainly as a backup if all else goes wrong. I think Exeter will be at the top of my list though because it's a nice place and the course is good. I also like the look of Birmingham and York, but not Warwick so much because of its location. However, I need to look around them all before I can decide. I went to Cardiff the other day for the play-off final and absolutely loved it, and the uni and the city are so nice. The course isn't the best though.

By Pdoran (Pdoran) on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 09:20 am: Edit

If you liked Exeter, I am sure you would like York, since it too has that sleepy campus, college feel. I would note, however, that both arent vibrant cities, and Exeter has a terrible Student Union (aka non existent!) I would honestly recommened if it is that country cmapus feel your after, I would choose York over Exeter no doubt. Exeter contains a lot of middle class idiots with superiority complexes.

By English_Girl (English_Girl) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 11:46 am: Edit

Yeah, I heard that about Exeter. I just like the location - it's near the beach! I want to go somewhere where there's stuff to do though, that's why I liked Cardiff so much. Birmingham has a bit of a reputation of not being a very nice city but apparently it's improved lately so I look forward to visiting it.

By Pdoran (Pdoran) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 11:50 am: Edit

DO you use msn or IM? I would be happy to talk to you ab out universities, including some personal statement tips etc.

By Anglophile (Anglophile) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 04:19 pm: Edit

Hi English_girl, if you want someplace by the beach with lots of things to do, come to California! Thanks for responding to my post about Oxford, I appreciate the insight. Is UCLA known in England? Just curious. How would you compare Oxford to Cambridge in terms of academics, campus, students, difficulty of work, and competition to get in? Or is it like the difference between Harvard and Yale (none!). Also, I'm visiting London this summer(it's a very short trip,but I'm hoping to make the most of it), is there anything in particular I should see or do? Are you familiar with the Camden Markets? Thanks!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page