Schools which de-emphasize SAT

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: June 2004 Archive: Schools which de-emphasize SAT
By Arizonamom (Arizonamom) on Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 09:22 pm: Edit

I know this has been touched on before but which tier 2 schools do not weigh standardized scores that heavily. My daughter has a 91 GPA with lots of AP/honors classes and amazing EC's with leadership but scored extremely low 26 on her first standardized ACT test. She is looking for tier 2 LAC's primarily and needs finaid as well. Any ideas would be appreciated. Midwest or southwest but not firm on this. She does want a mild climate so no Boston, Michigan type schools. Thanks in advance .

By Tropicanabanana (Tropicanabanana) on Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 11:45 pm: Edit

www.fairtest.org

By Tropicanabanana (Tropicanabanana) on Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 11:59 pm: Edit

by the way, just because her standardized test scores are low doesn't mean she has to go to a tier 2 school. many schools (even the ones not on fairtest) will over look scores if they clearly don't show the student's ability.

By Arizonamom (Arizonamom) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 01:01 am: Edit

Thanks for the website!

By Reidmc (Reidmc) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 02:11 am: Edit

See what she thinks about College of Wooster in Ohio. Much better school than its US News ranking would indicate.

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 10:05 am: Edit

Bowdoin. SAT scores = Optional.

By Arizonamom (Arizonamom) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 09:58 pm: Edit

Thanks You all- College of Wooster is one on her list so that is good to know. Bowdoin is a great school, but they do report the scores and seems like kids with 1450 scores are getting rejected. Bates was on the site as well .

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 10:39 pm: Edit

Bowdoin certainly rejects kids with 1450 boards - but they accept them without any SAT I's. Remember with all of these stats, you don't see the rest of the application. Maybe the 1450 blew off the essay, or cut and pasted the 'why Middlebury' paragraph into the 'why Bowdoin' slot.

What major or majors is your daughter interested in?

By Arizonamom (Arizonamom) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 10:48 pm: Edit

Double major psych and spanish or spanish and pre-physical therapy Will be going on to grad school

By Spiffybrownboy (Spiffybrownboy) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 11:37 pm: Edit

Also, I read somewhere that 85% of accepted students to Bowdoin submit SAT scores... a big majority.

By Allison (Allison) on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 01:17 am: Edit

hmmm, spiffybrownboy... i dunno about that. i think it varies greatly from year to year - for instance, two years ago, a lot of people submitted, and last year ('03 matriculants) fewer did - or vice versa, i forget.

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 08:59 am: Edit

Well, Bowdoin doesn't sound quite ideal with those majors and interests. Have you looked at Skidmore yet? I believe that the bio department is very good there, which would be useful for PT. And applying early to Skidmore would be a good admissions boost. Of course, Saratoga doesn't have the best weather. Have to poke around a bit more.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page