Georgetown v. Claremont McKenna

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: June 2004 Archive: Georgetown v. Claremont McKenna
By Fluzzy (Fluzzy) on Saturday, May 29, 2004 - 05:28 pm: Edit

I was pretty much set to go to Georgetown next year (in the MSB Business School) when I got into Claremont McKenna off the wait list. Now I'm torn. Any advice would be much appreciated.

By Arizonamom (Arizonamom) on Saturday, May 29, 2004 - 08:50 pm: Edit

Claremont-McKenna is an amazing school and you have the 5 colleges to take classes in. People seem very happy, students are intellectually stimulating but down to earth at the same time. The spirit is truly collaborative. You have LA nearby but there are tons of activities on campus.People become very close and all seem excited about their school. Most people live on campus. Georgetown is a great school as well, just different-you are in DC. It just depends what you like. If you have not visited Claremont I would say do it. It is too bad school is out so I'm not sure how many are doing research this summer. That is another benefit by the way-the undergrads do extensive research and publishing with profs. Let me know what you decide. Two great schools. You can not go wrong!!!

By Dzleprechaun (Dzleprechaun) on Saturday, May 29, 2004 - 09:01 pm: Edit

Gtown is a bigger, university type. You get all the pros and cons that come with that - grad students, nationally recognized sports, etc. Plus Gtown has the whole Jesuit thing going, and also D.C.'s imprint. If you're into politics, Georgetown should definitely go up in your estimation.

C-M is more of an LAC, with the twist of having several other schools where you can cross-register that gives you bigger resources than otherwise available. You get Cali and LA instead of D.C., so sun and smog instead of foreigners and fog(gy bottom). If I had to guess, I'd say C-M has a more laidback atmosphere.

By Confused86 (Confused86) on Saturday, May 29, 2004 - 10:10 pm: Edit

gtown is in washington... not a good scene for me because i live in a very rural place

By Arizonamom (Arizonamom) on Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 12:54 am: Edit

In the case you will love the feel of the Claremont campus. My son is going to Pomona and my daughter is looking at some of the other schools. She would love CMC but probably won't get the SAT scores she needs to get in. My son was very impressed with the students he met as well as the professors. We were too. They have good grad school results as well.Did you post under each school to get more input?

By Econrobot (Econrobot) on Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 09:11 pm: Edit

I would say Georgetown. I was a finalist for the Claremont McKenna achievement award and was invited to spend a weekend on campus for interviews and activities. During the weekend, I was not very impressed with what I saw. The drinking scene was out of control. Granted, this happens at every college campus, but here, the students store several packs of beer, etc in their rooms. Plus, the campus is not very visually appealing and there is a bit of racial tension present as well. Having Pomona across the street is a positive, though. I was also accepted to Pomona, but chose Emory due to a huge merit scholarship. In the end, pick the school that suits your needs the best and will help you achieve your goals. Best wishes.

By Kevin720 (Kevin720) on Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 09:14 pm: Edit

First of all, congrats on getting in two excellent schools. I live right next to Claremont, and can tell you that it's definitely a small-town feel. Even with the five other great Claremont Colleges, it's a small system, with each college averaging probably less than 1,000 students.

My image of Georgetown seems to be quite the opposite: big city, big time school. So I guess what it boils down to is whether you're a small-town kind of person or a big-city type.

Another drawback of CMC: notoriety. Even here in the west coast, I've heard of Georgetown. But in the east coast, I doubt employers know of CMC. I guess if you do go to CMC, I hope you're going to work in the west coast, prefably in So. Cal.

By Arizonamom (Arizonamom) on Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 09:47 pm: Edit

All good points but if you go on to Grad school both colleges are well known and will be well regarded. I didn't realize drinking was out of control at Claremont-McKenna. Is Pomona the same- I did not get that impression when we was there, although I know there is some at every college.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page