Question about the Princeton Review's selectivity index

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: May 2004 Archive: Question about the Princeton Review's selectivity index
By Willywonka (Willywonka) on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 09:46 pm: Edit

I was thumbing through the Princeton Review's 351 Best Colleges, and I noticed something strange about the selectivity rating for each school. Of course, I could have looked near the beginning to find out about calculations, but I didn't think of fit.

What I noticed: Washington and Lee had an index of 99, the highest the ratings go. Swarthmore had a 98. Now, that's fine, but the only thing I know about selectivity is the "raw numbers" that say what percentage of applicants were accepted the previous year. I know that Washington and Lee's "raw percentage" is higher than Swarthmore's, so there must be other factors.

Thanks in advance.

By Tcolgate (Tcolgate) on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 11:00 pm: Edit

perhaps since swarthmore is more well known than W&L, they get more non serious applicants, if you will. washington and lee probably only get applications from the best, and from there they have to make a decision. basically, they might have a stronger applicant pool, so technically you have a better chance of getting in, but you are going up against tougher competition

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page